Photos taking eons to open.

Can somebody explain to me why it is with some peoples threads, it take ages for the photos to open. Is it to do with the size of the photos or maybe the hosting site that they are using to store them? I'm not talking about 10-20 seconds here, but as long as 5 minutes if the page is a really long one with many photos. I've just been looking at one and 10 minutes later, some of the photos are still opening up millimetre  by millimetre. The consequence of this is that I give up and move on, which means that I could be missing out on an interesting thread.

Any ideas?

John.

• Like 1

For my money there are two reasons.

The Outside World.

The photo host server is suitably busy to only release at a certain rate if at all.Best bet is to look at another post and come back to this one in a little while after everyone elses traffic has been satisfied.It ain't just us wanting to look at piccies.

The Poster Of Piccies.

The piccies linked to the thread haven't been worked into a lower resolution for the purposes of us looking at them and is the bane of the bandwidth limited mobile user with a debatable mobile phone signal.Big photos in high resolution will take megabytes of size and this takes time to transmit.Smaller photos of the same resolution (no loss of image quality) take less megabytage to transmit.Photos of a lesser resolution(no discernible loss of image quality) will not look different to us lot on a computer screen but will require only Kilobytes of transmission time.This will load more rapidly and is a decreased load on the transmitting server,rendering it better capable of supplying your request and then the next one.

I don't understand the finer points but I hope this helps.

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the reply. I also don't understand the finer points, but the second part of what you said does make some sense. I have no trouble opening some peoples photos, whilst others take forever. Thanks again.

John.