Halifax BII Special JB910 - Revell 1/72

I'd had this one in the stash for some time and I decided back in May that I should get it out and on the ceiling. Looking for a relaxing build I thought I'd build it OOB. Ahem.

Then Chris (@amblypygid) very kindly sent me some transfers from the Hannants Xtradecal X72-146 sheet and told be he was "looking forward to this epic". Eh what?

To keep to my WWII Europe theme I wanted an RAF subject so chose JB910 as ZA-J of No. 10 Sqdn said to be at Leeming circa 1943.

Then Simon (@Beard) asked if I was going to ignore the kit's errors (eh, what?) and kindly sent me the 'Z nose' from his Revell MkIII kit.

Then Benedikt (@bbudde) pointed out that the kit radiators spoilt the look of the model and suggested I get some resin replacements.

So I found a reference shot of JB910 with her 'Shark Mouth' (I don't have a good history with these) and, after some deliberation, ordered the AML radiators and props (AMLA 72041) and the Quickboost Type C exhausts (QB 72360).

Then several people (including Molly our dog) encouraged me to drop this OOB nonsense and get on with it.

Then it was my birthday (hooray).

Then @Michael Enright provided me with some great reference detail and kindly sent me a bomb aimer figure.

Then I received an offer to buy my company which I leapt at.

Then I retired (hooray again!)

A simple Out of the Box build? Excuse my laughter. Chris was right, it's been an epic build, and after my longest WiP to date (30 pages and 11 weeks) it was finished. Finally.

I'm afraid I fell out of love with the model around week three but persevered. Many BMers have helped and supported the build and now encouraged me to post this RFI.

Thanks everyone, an epic indeed.

Here she is, JB910, a Halifax B.II Srs 1 Special. Not at all OOB... and too big for my booth background.

Stynylrez black primer, Lifecolor camo, Flory wash, W&N matt varnish, pastel exhaust stains.

35680976644_5cc6005bc3_c.jpgDSCN0219 by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

35707014203_a1df3f65a1_z.jpg

35680976024_ece24ec130_n.jpg 35707015333_94c0b61416_n.jpg

The Z nose with hand-painted shark mouth (the transfers didn't survive):

35680975914_a16a8a8c3a_z.jpg

Radiators, props and exhausts:

35707013943_01438ec646_z.jpg

35934697900_c23ebb32b4_z.jpg

and some internal shots because, as you know, I'm a bit keen on my crews:

35840300135_f74e5e050e_n.jpg 35840305645_3e04f8d443_n.jpg

Michael's bomb aimer and some gunners:

35783832860_e7b960b7f4_n.jpg 35447594014_4e3c023ba6_n.jpg

Actually the BA is a moulded copy as I want to keep the valuable 'master'.

That's it - please do browse through the WiP if you have the odd hour or two to waste; there's lots of detail on the build, the Halifax, how not to apply transfers/decals etc etc.

It has, indeed, been an epic and thanks to everyone for their help and support :)  

• Like 61
  • Thanks 5

Congratulations on a splendid 'retirement' build there Ced.

:thumbsup:

A pleasure as always watching this come together.

With your output I hope that the retirement plan includes provision for ceiling-strengthening?:whistle::D

• Thanks 1

Told you over there,I'll tell you here

This is a great model

You beat the monster that is resin bitsas

You defeated the evil that is transferdecalmania.

And gave us a fine and sociable modeling session to join in and indulge ourselves

Thanks Ced

Lovely RFI set too, the first one is blooming lovely

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Excellent job Ced,..... always nice to see a well built Halibag! I have this very aircraft on my `to do' list.

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's good to see this in RFI Ced :)

I agree with everyone above; you've made a very nice model here.

The Z nose, crew, wheels up, radiator and propellor changes, those fascinating exhausts and more make it a very individual and genuinely interesting model. I would go as far to say that the painted shark's mouth looks more authentic than the transfers.

The WIP will be a useful resource for others wanting to get the best out of this kit.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Thanks 1

30 WIP pages, 11 weeks and a face on it that looks like a Plymouth local with her best make up on. Honestly, Ced what were you thinking? ;)

Worth the wait to see something different, even facially to a certain degree.:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bravo! Absolutely top notch Halifax.You've done a cracking job there Ced. ;)

I've been toying with the idea of getting one myself after seeing Phil Flory's video build, but think I may opt for the Mk III version as I can't be bothered to tackle those very noticeable engine problems.

Entertaining WIP too.

• Thanks 1