Hobby Boss 1/72 F-5E

I'd been thinking 100% that the next plane on my to-do list was going to be a Gloster Javelin but my hand got swayed into plucking this from the stash.

The Swiss Air Force get an A+ for their instagram feed - this appeared on my recommendations list just before I went to the retrieve the Javelin from the loft and jumped another kit to the head of the queue

I can't recall why I had this - something makes me think it was added to another order as it took it over the 'free delivery' line and was cheaper than paying the delivery charge. Let's see how it builds up - looks straightforward enough albeit with some oddities

36396557721_827f364090_b.jpg

35699190834_71a3f6554c_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cobbled together - fit between the wings and tailpane was an absolute pain in the bahooky but we seem to be getting somewhere (excuse the big Brit lump in the foreground)

Initial build, mask, first stab at filling and an all over blast of primer/surfacer

36087668723_a8833fbbdb_b.jpg 

36061717524_9e80c34854_b.jpg 
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

Hell of a size difference! :blink:

I've been surprised both by the size of the Javelin and the Sea Vixen - specificatios N.40/46 and F.44/46 must have had  "breathtakingly massive and ungainly" as part of the official requirements

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

Hell of a size difference! :blink:

I was thinking the same thing! At first I thought the Javelin was 1/48 but noticed the canopy size. It was a massive bugger or was the F-5 really tiny?! ;)

I'll be watching this with interest LostCosmonaut, I got one of these kits in my stash so will be interested how it comes out. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

On 30/08/2017 at 21:37, Dazzio said:

I was thinking the same thing! At first I thought the Javelin was 1/48 but noticed the canopy size. It was a massive bugger or was the F-5 really tiny?! ;)

The F-5 isn't small by any means. Short wingspan but easily the dame length as contemporaries. It maybe just looks slender. Javelin looks bigger than a Phantom to me - I'll drag some comparisons out when it is all done and dusted. 

On 02/09/2017 at 00:02, azureglo said:

Interesting kit, I built one last year for the F-5 STBG, turned out surprisingly well : Are you using the kits decals?

A

I'll go looking for that thread shortly - interested to see what you made of it. Planning to use the kit decals for the Swiss version

Correction - basecoat was in progress

Sausages applied & 2nd colour sprayed as per the call outs

36940496921_4c0b00d73c_b.jpg

Doesn't look at all right to me - removing the sausages confirms it. Far too big a contrast and too green a grey

36268464053_2a39aa40e0_b.jpg

Resprayed with base colour and musings begin. Meanwhile I've removed an extraneous fin from the belly tank and started painting it and the wingtip missiles a hi viz fluoro orange that the Swiss seem to have favoured

On 30/08/2017 at 8:03 AM, LostCosmonauts said:

I've been surprised both by the size of the Javelin and the Sea Vixen - specificatios N.40/46 and F.44/46 must have had  "breathtakingly massive and ungainly" as part of the official requirements

And unbelievably slow for the energy input!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think that is all of the assembling and painting done - just decals to go on

37262537182_601779c183_b.jpg

With a small pause to scrabble in the space decals bag to find new numbers as one of the nose 031 folded up on itself and refuses to unfurl despite threats, blasphemy and pleading

37245024316_ff26c16f64_b.jpg