Tornado GR1A best 1/72 kit?

MigModeller

Hi All

Just discovered my Modeldecal sheet with 13 Squadron RAF Tornado markings (not roundels and fin stripes).  Only which is the most accurate kit?

I read that Revell has an inacurrate nose.  There are severl Airfix GR1s on that terrible online market.

Talking of noses and Airfix, a badly made MRCA is part of my loft insulation!

I hope my Modeldecal sheets of postwar RAF codes are still usable.

I look forward to your suggestions

M.M.

I would suggest the Revell kit, it's possible to reshape the nose or there are some aftermarket alternatives available from your favourite on-line retailer; you will also need the IRLS (Infra Red Linescan) which fits under the nose: Freightdog include one in their Tornado GR Mk.4 update set; perhaps the other area of the Revell kit which needs some work is the nose gear which sits slightly too high.

5 hours ago, Hook said:

The RoG is still the best overall.

For a GR.1A, a combination of the ECR and GR.1 boxing would be the most suitable (and you can build a standard Tornado from the bits left. 

HTH,

Andre

Hi Andre

Please might you elaborate on this?

I'm assuming the decals come from the GR.! and the nose from the ECR?

RoG stands for?

2 hours ago, MigModeller said:

Please might you elaborate on this?

Of course - you can use some of the ECR bits (cannon port plugs, underfuselage bulge) of the ECR kit with the RAF-specific bits from the GR.1 kit (RAF-style pylon fairings, fin ILS aerials, 2250 liter tanks,  Sky Shadow, RAF stencilling from the decals, etc.). 

Cheers,

Andre