Trumpeter 1/16 Panzer IV type H

Thanks Colin

Yes it's big and sort of spoiled me to go back to 1/35 scale small stuff now. I will say that Trumpeter never uses one or two parts when they can use ten

to get the parts count up.  Almost 2000 parts is getting a bit much but the detail is good most places even though they could have spent more time on

hoses, etc like they did in the 1/16 Jagdtiger.

The pics in direct sunlight are too contrasty so I may try some in shade.  It's not green even though there appears to be a green cast to the outside photos, even

worse than those taken under florescent lighting.  Never said I was a photographer.

Lloyd  

Thanks Ozzy

Don't think there were too many driving or even crawling off the field at Kursk.  This is supposed to be a 1945 SS Panzer Div so more like the outskirts of Berlin

and it's taken a beating hiding from and dodging T-34s.  The camo is a little out of place for urban combat but der Bureau said "that's the paint scheme" 

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1

One old dusty, dirty scuffed up Panzer IV to go please. A little better lighting here and some more new camera learning helps too.  I know it's on the workbench but got to experiment somewhere.

Still trying to find a 1/16 Tiger II but in the meantime there's a Trumpeter 1/16 M1A1 on the way.  Kinda like this larger scale.

iLjToDL.jpgySeRV2h.jpgVYHjkeL.jpgyUXz9o9.jpgmowkuwI.jpguTtKalC.jpgmvRsXa1.jpgw28OML4.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 6

My least favourite of all the WWII German armour, but I have to admit that looks pretty amazing!

Great detail in the kit itself, and painted and weathered nicely. The chipping is especially effective. I would imagine it's quite difficult to get the level of chipping right in that scale. It would be so easy to completely overdo it, or alternatively have it get completely lost. I think you got it spot on.

I'm loving all the open hatches giving views of the interior. Maybe the crew were giving it an airing after a 'toilet' incident? It's a shame there are no figure sets for these larger scales. It would be great to see one in a diorama.

Reaguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder

Thanks Chris

I was afraid I overdid the chipping and blotching, so glad someone likes it.  Yes I think Herman dropped another stench bomb so everyone evacuated.

The entire upper hull above the fenders comes off to display the complete interior but after painting and weathering I decided to leave it alone,  what if

it doesn't go back in place correctly, just my dumb luck it wouldn't.  Even though I pinned the hinges on both hatches on the glacis plate the one on the right won't open past the machine gun.  Another wasted effort, check before doing...........right........maybe next time.

Apparently Gremlin56 found some 1/16 figures but figures and I don't speak so I don't need any.

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

On 13/08/2017 at 14:13, Badder said:

My least favourite of all the WWII German armour

😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱 

I respectfully disagree ...I think it's the most beautiful 😜

Well done on the build @BlackMax12 looks great. 

Move a few 1/16 builds done and in the process... I had to build my own display cabinet to fit them in!! 

Thanks Steve

My personal favourite is the Tiger II followed closely by the Jagdpanther.  This is the first Panzer IV I've ever built in any scale and I have to admit

it does grow on you. Let's see some of your 1/16 work Steve.

I went to the LHS today and I'm sort of turned off 1/35 scale AFVs as they seem rather dinky after this 1/16 build.  I want a 1/16 Tiger II but so far no luck other in the USA

at over Cdn$500 by the time I get it here.  Not too enthused about that.  I did order a Trumpeter 1/16 M1A1 but after reading a couple of reviews I'm not thrilled about it. 

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

Lovely job you've done there Lloyd. The cammo and weathering are excellent. I'm definitely tempted by this scale, but the only one that I'd build is a Sherman and there aren't too many of them around in this scale.

John.

Superb build and paint skills we are seeing here (Speaking like Yoda, again!)

I think the chipping effect is very effective and certainly not overdone. I love the shells and boxes lying on the engine-deck - they really add something to the feeling of realism. Were those items provided with the kit?

Cheers.

Chris.   

Thanks Chris.

Yes they provide 5 different types of shells and appropriate decals but the box is scratched from Evergeen styrene strips.  I didn't have the

correct decals for the box so I used  the spare decals for the shells inside.  Not authentic but it breaks up the monotone gray box.

I went back over it again and applied some light rusting in spots but haven't posted any more pics. 

Lloyd

Very impressive finish, especially in this large scale - some models this size end up looking like toys but you got yours spot on.

Very well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

I don't often leave comments about tanks because they are not my strong suite but I felt compelled to say that this is one of the most impressive examples of modelling I have ever seen. Absolutely stunning work.  The attention to detail and paintwork are completely convincing. 

I added a little rust here and there but it doesn't show much after drying and I pulled the top off of the superstructure just to see if I could.

It came off easily and went right back into place which was a relief.  Not much detail in the engine compartment but I didn't bother trying to

improvise as it's hidden anyways.

I'm putting this one on it's own shelf and considering it finally, finally finished.  I like 1/16 but it's a chore.

Lloyd

fpNUmAT.jpgEjx6W7Y.jpgV0pq5FK.jpgmvSS4XP.jpgMamcuql.jpgdUZ0owf.jpgvDoL7II.jpgkGuuY2p.jpg8FG3795.jpgb30gNOY.jpg8m91Htv.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/08/2017 at 8:27 PM, BlackMax12 said:

It's done, finally.  Pretty involved model but turns out quite decent, and big, too big for my display case.  I can see another case coming as Trumpeter is releasing a 1/16 Panther.

xiygBkf.jpgl6mx1Ce.jpg4LVDeb1.jpgsjWgoYC.jpg833cdHC.jpgz5ID6d8.jpgLRTml9U.jpgxiygBkf.jpgMFycEAc.jpg9BFKT6R.jpgHkwqPm1.jpgvQGEsUQ.jpgBL1DEqy.jpgyljrwCP.jpg5s2fJC0.jpg

What a cracking job of one of my favourite German tanks, it really looks superb🖒 

As for the question of it being too big for your cabinet- I'd happily make some space to display it😆