Beer Barrel Run - Spitfire LFIX 1/72

CedB

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Simon and rs2man for the alternative recipes - by the way, why is it a dry Martini? What's a wet one like?

I think the less Vermouth a martini has, the drier it is. Try a Montgomery, 15 parts gin to one part Vermouth  (invented by Hemingway, the name is a slur on the Field Marshall) or a Gibson, a martini with a cocktail onion rather than an olive.

2 hours ago, CedB said:

[...] one of the boys who had helped themselves to my cigars.

I keep my cigars, mostly made by Romeo y Julieta, hidden in the loft.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Oh, good to see some Spitfire action! :thumbsup: Nice seat :clap:

I see you are also exploiting new possibilities for razor blades - I have only used them for resin and plastic so far, but will try them on PE, following your lead :coolio::thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 3

So there IS a Spitfire in there! I thought it was just a ruse to enable us to discuss food and booze.

Flossie's antibiotics have kicked in now and her temperature was back to normal this morning. Cheese seems to be the disguise of choice for tablets, we use it for the other two.

How much of the PE will you use, some of it looks really tiny.

Cheers

John

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Beard said:

I think the less Vermouth a martini has, the drier it is. Try a Montgomery, 15 parts gin to one part Vermouth  (invented by Hemingway, the name is a slur on the Field Marshall) or a Gibson, a martini with a cocktail onion rather than an olive.

My understanding of the Gibson was that it should have two cocktail onions , since it was apparently named after the well-endowed Gibson Girls .

• Like 6

We always buy Baileys Irish Cream  at Christmas and don't usually finish it and were also given a bottle last time, so when SWMBO told a friend recently that we had 1 1/2 bottles of it she suggested a cocktail which consists of Baileys,and whisky! I Haven't tried it yet, but we do have some blended whisky lying around somewhere ( I wouldn't think of using malt ) so why not. 

JOhn

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Whofan said:

You sound confused. All dogs eat antibiotics like sweets!

Ohhhhhh no they don't...!! You try giving them to a Newfoundland that decides she's not having them! Their jaws can clamp tighter than most engineering vices! And her nose can pickup the slightest trace of a tablet whether it be hidden in cheese, chicken, jam on bread or any other conconction we tried....!! Nightmare...!!

Keith

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

I missed out an essential ingredient from my Baileys cocktail, Malibu. The full recipe is 2 parts Baileys and 1 part each of whiskey and Malibu. Any takers?

John

No offense but no thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ok, I give in, if you guys are bringing the beer and bbq some meat, I can't say no to beer and bbq..... I'm in....as long as it is good beer , none of that light stuff..... and the line to the can forms on the left.. LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Ohhhhhh no they don't...!! You try giving them to a Newfoundland that decides she's not having them! Their jaws can clamp tighter than most engineering vices! And her nose can pickup the slightest trace of a tablet whether it be hidden in cheese, chicken, jam on bread or any other conconction we tried....!! Nightmare...!!

Keith

That sounds like a cat! In fact, my wife had the greatest difficulty in getting a tablet down it's throat, or eating it hidden in food, but both my wife's cavalier King Charles and my daughter's cocker will simply Hoover them ubiquitous as though they were sweets.

Umm, Ced, apologies for turning this into a "my dog ......" thread.

• Like 3

Hello guys... guys, over here... I have a... GUYS will you watch, just for a minute please, I've got some Spitfire bits to show you. Thanks. Settle down :) 

I've painted some bits:

35756467864_5d408ace0d_z.jpg

35782548023_929066a09c_z.jpg

Which backplate do I need? Armour or no armour?

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

How much of the PE will you use, some of it looks really tiny.

Thanks John - it is, so out with my new (fanfare please) PB Productions Flip-R5 PE benderer tool thingy. In with the dreaded compass support:

35782742063_311d5a12d9_z.jpg

and in two shakes of a lamb's tail (shake, shake, baaa) we have a macro shot:

36592063235_92c45ce79f_z.jpg

That usually drives me mad. Here it is with the compass:

36545781656_d10cfa254b_z.jpg

ready to go in the i/p to replace the plastic one when the PE there has dried:

36423660852_111dd866d9_z.jpg

Gator's Grip thin used on that - sticks AND leaves glossy dials, good stuff.

Right, sorry to interrupt, back to the melee. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I've painted some bits.

You're making great progress there and 'some bits' is underselling yourself.

Etch makes me itch.

As to backplate armour, I'd guess that all wartime Spits would have it (retro)fitted?

Chillax dude 'someone' is in charge of the BBQ. Erm....how hungry are you really?

adc4bcfc6e3baf4876c4b605f2217f8a.jpg

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

BBQ:

Thanks Martian and Trevor - be careful with the lighter fluid - stand BACK!

Leon and Keith - if you're going to bring a goat for goodness sake look after it. It's over THERE eating Mrs B's courgettes.

Booze:

Thanks Simon, less Vermouth, dryer Martini, got it. Romeo y Julieta cigars? Oooh, better keep those hidden!

Two onions for a Gibson - thanks rs2man.

john that sounds like a nice cocktail to get rid of unwanted Baileys AND Malibu. I'll have Simon's :D 

Poorly Dogs:

John (Biggles) glad to hear Flossie's feeling better.

John (WhoFan) you're lucky!

Keith have you tried the Stew Dapple 'two cheese' method? Prepare two pieces of cheese, one with the pill inside. Feed one piece of 'plain' and, while they're concentrating and thinking 'cheese!' feed the other.

Modelling:

Thanks Giorgio - yes, do try the blade on PE. Wiggle it near the join in the 'sprue' until it 'clicks' then just push and hey presto - cut!

Misc:

Thanks Keith for the Hamlet ad - one of my all time favourites.

Thanks Biggu: you'll be lucky to settle them down after the cocktails :) 

Right, have to stop now as the scaffolding's blocking the Sky dish so I have to watch programmes LIVE! I KNOW! So seventies...

ITV3 - Heathrow has started (rats)

21:00 C4 Flights from Hell!

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, CedB said:

Keith have you tried the Stew Dapple 'two cheese' method? Prepare two pieces of cheese, one with the pill inside. Feed one piece of 'plain' and, while they're concentrating and thinking 'cheese!' feed the other.

Oh yes, and with chicken - first bit goes down a treat. Second bit gets chewed up a little - & spat out! She's my son's dog & he's strong enough to eventually open her jaws and get the pill in her mouth & wait till she gives in & swallows it! When my wife & I had to look after her when son & family were away for a few nights we had to resort to me finally managing to get her mouth open, hold her head back & Mrs R throwing the pill down her throat! And even then the cunning beast would sometimes get the pill back up, keep it in her jowls until spitting it out sometime later....!! :winkgrin:

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 2