Beer Barrel Run - Spitfire LFIX 1/72

CedB

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Might as well have Sweet and Sour Chicken balls on the list then as well.

Bugger it, and a House Special Chow Mein and Fried rice too.

Simon.

And Crispy beef please, special fried rice & a pot of curry sauce. Gawd I'm hungry now....:D

Keith

• Like 3

If you all come round mine, we can head to the Himalayan cafe for momo then the Everest for Dall Baht Set and Ced can do the Spitfire while we eat and drink. You'll all have to drink Stella mind, unless we go to Kipps alehouse (which has a fine selection of ale and Belgian beers but only does veggie curry).

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

If you lot budge up a bit I might just squeeze in at the back and stand on my soap box.

John

You better put your food order in mate.

The local take away opens at 5:00 pm.

Simon.

Anyone seen Tomo, biggles is taking so much room with that blimmin stepladder that I might have to nudge over for him, I thought he was bringing a box

I do not want to have to go outback where the girls go for giggles about the new kid

Oh I don't know though...

You know where I'll be...

Edited by perdu
  • Haha 2

Thanks Bill :) Don't worry about feeling the comment was harsh matey, it was late and your input is always appreciated. The barrels are from the Brengun set so not cheap, but I take your point that there shouldn't be big joints. I have painted the end black though, put some Metal Color Iron on the bands and 'chalked' the 'VA' on the end with the end of a cocktail stick:

36404812661_14a1bc50f4_z.jpg

They'll do me and have been put aside for later.

What else has been posted since I last looked?

Thanks John (food), Trevor (food), Simon (food), Bill (food), Keith (food) then Trevor (booze)... well, you've read it (probably). honestly, you lot :D 

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Might as well have Sweet and Sour Chicken balls on the list then as well.

Chicken balls? They can't be very filling... :wicked: 

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

I was going to ask Ced that.

"Ced, what do you want to eat and drink?"

Simon.

Aww thanks Simon, very kind of you to ask. Beer (obviously in this build) and a Chinese would be great - got any rubbery Chicken (joke qv) :D 

1 hour ago, Beard said:

If you all come round mine, we can head to the Himalayan cafe for momo then the Everest for Dall Baht Set and Ced can do the Spitfire while we eat and drink. You'll all have to drink Stella mind, unless we go to Kipps alehouse (which has a fine selection of ale and Belgian beers but only does veggie curry).

Thanks Simon - everyone around to Simon's!!!

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

If you lot budge up a bit I might just squeeze in at the back and stand on my soap box.

John

Welcome John :) Bit mad here but there's room over there, by the crisps and nuts.

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

BTW Ced, can we see the kit ?

Simon.

The what? Kit? Oh THAT, it was here somewhere... ah, found it under the chips and dips...

I wanted to try out my new contour saws so I chopped off the bomb racks:

36497148596_916ffe0b3c_z.jpg

then realised the plans don't really show where to put them so a drilled one hold and used the kit parts for positioning:

36406021921_7fcdfdab28_z.jpg

and stuck them on with CA:

36147252130_d985bd99c3_z.jpg

The saws are great by the way, a good buy :) 

Strangely found that the fuselage internals are painted already:

36147263100_9ff4aa3614_z.jpg

I must have done that when I did my other Eduard Mk IX so I'll pop over there and check for any problems.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Can I be awkward and say I prefer a Chinese takeaway?

Prawn toast and chicken with sweetcorn soup to start (and a side of ribs) and followed by beef in black bean sauce and fried rice.

Trevor

There's always one!

• Like 3

Ced, what about putting a black wash in the 'joints' on the barrels - it'll take your eye away from them a bit, as I think the light wash emphasises them at the moment. Might make the Brummie ex-cellarman a bit happier...!! :whistle::winkgrin:

Keith

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Perceptive chappies down in them valleys aren't they

;)

I point this out with pride as my much lamented late father in law was an ex-miner from Cwmdare, before he became a Brummie bus driver

Miss old Dyl immensely we do

(black might just shut me up...'til)

• Like 7

Page 3 . :shocked: and a lovely pair of barrels to feast my peepers on. Nice one Ced. :clap2:  I think Keith might be right though. A dark Flory wash in those lines will make it look more realistic. But ''tis your model and you can do whatever the heck you like. Great start, I'll pull up a pew.

no food for me I just cooked and ate a most enormous pie. (Veggie) sorry lads. 

Johnny 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Who has a takeaway for home delivery omelette store nearby?

I could marmalise a double folded mushroom and tomato just now

Just a thought

Does ANYBODY have a use for that damned Mark Site Read button?

During some of the slow page builds it keeps getting hit, then I lose track of where I've been

:(

• Like 2

Bacon sarnie, thanks Leon :) 

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Does ANYBODY have a use for that damned Mark Site Read button?

I've avoided hitting it so far... but I have noticed 'n notifications' when I login, then had a pop-up saying someone's commented, opened the notifications to see that and cleared the count, thus making me forget how many pages I have to look through to make sure I haven't missed anything. I guess it's supposed to do that :)

House painters started painting when we were away over the weekend and I forgot to tell them about the 'this sash opens' stickers (qv). Consequently some of the previously opening sashes were painted shut. I freed up one at the bottom, crawled out onto the scaffolding, bashed the top one and, as it slid, trapped the third finger of my right hand in between the sashes. "Golly, that stings" I said (or words to that effect, blue air and all). It amazes me (ouch) how much I (ouch) use that when typing (ouch). Retirements's obviously dangerous for me...

Right. This morning I had a wash, then I had a wash and got dressed, then I sucked a Tamiya pointy cotton bud and cleaned it off leaving this:

35751271843_fa9966cc8b_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Happy chaps? I am.

More later - you never know, we might get to a Spitfire before page 4...

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, CedB said:

Happy chaps? I am.

Me too, looking definitely better, but Bill's got the last word on these, I think :winkgrin:  :D 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I want him to tell me any possible way they don't look better now

Because, just because

In a real world I would expect these to hold the beer and the other version to need repointing every few years...

😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks Alan :) Strangely I can't 'react' to your post as there's no button on your post - weird, there on others... I had a look at my settings and I couldn't see where you can turn it on/off. Ho hum. Like you I'm not sure whether this is a modelling thread but I think, once the boys settle down and I actually do some modelling well see a change in the proportion of food posts. Probably.

Thanks Giorgio, I think they look better too :) 

29 minutes ago, perdu said:

I want him to tell me any possible way they don't look better now

Thanks Bill, glad you like them.

One way they could look better is that the blasted moulders could have moulded the damn things so that the block was at the TOP. That way lazy people like me could paint and weather them on the block, including the chalked letters, and then saw them off the block with the unpainted bit hidden by the rack. That was my plan, nice and lazy. Last night I noticed that the letters would be upside down but they're so small in real life it doesn't really notice. This morning I've noticed that the bung is at the bottom. Dammit.

Now I'll have to saw them off, tidy up the block residue, paint and weather the bare bit and then scratch the paint off the nicely finished top so that the glue will fix.

Just saying. :rage::swear::jump_fire::wall::badmood::suicide:

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

Yes but that's just modelmaking for you...😊

What intrigues me is

Were you really up at five this morning perusing the threads?

I looked in just after eight "CedB reacted three hours ago"  were you that worried about the painted sashes?

Do you need us, the BM massive to pop down to Bath and give the old place our loving attention?

Tomo, TT, chally, guys we've got a job...

😇

You could always remodel the barrels to suit, then cast new versions in resinous substances

Just saying

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6