Beer Barrel Run - Spitfire LFIX 1/72

CedB

Most of the transfers have settled well except the underwing roundels - they've been zapped with Daco strong... that'll teach 'em!

While waiting for that to dry I looked at the rack supports:

36586470202_95d44b592b_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Instructions? Hmmm. I tried waving my finger in a circle under the PE but nothing. Ah, I see, the arrows show which way to bend the part - see? 

Don't worry how you bend to get two different shapes - just turn two of them around (like the left handed wrench story qv). Do NOT decide you've done it wrong and bend the PE the other way - it'll break:

35921880534_e39be0057d_z.jpg

Rats. Perhaps, as per the 'Royal boxing' instructions I can use the kit parts?

36756411185_2704793ce6_z.jpg

Too small? Probably. I'll have to glue the broken bit back on then. Later.

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

Bad luck Ced :(.

Surely Eduard made the rack supports for the same aircraft? In which case, they should be ok?

Maybe the AM photo-etch ones are a bit too big? The Eduard ones look fine :).

Just thinking out loud..

It could be my screen, but it looks like the stripes are a uniform, very tidy, white now. It really has turned out very well. 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks TT :) 

The one reference shot I can find doesn't really show the racks but they look pretty standard in SHAPE but they also seem bigger than standard?

Spitfire_beer1.jpg

That said, I'm not convinced by the PE ones either which look like some kind of insect:

36756803375_f9b8f2b72b_z.jpg

with some legs missing. I've glued them to the rack but I'll wait and see what they look like with the barrels on before glueing the 'feet'. They do seem to dangle over the wheel wells at the back.

Hmmm...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

I suggest replacing the long bits of P.E. with some stretched sprue, although it'll be a tricky job to attach them. There also appears to be some form of bar between each bit that attaches the barrel to the bomb rack, perhaps that can be replicated using the surplus P.E.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Benedikt :D

Thanks Simon :) These things are tiny! I'm not sure I'm up to scratching the bars... but then no-one's going to see them on the ceiling!!

I thought I'd see what the kit parts looked like fitted so I checked the instructions to see what parts I needed and noticed that they say the 'double bar' should be on the outside. Great. I removed the PE ones. Bad idea. None survived:

36760129935_39cb809776_z.jpg

The kit parts are securely fitted on the sprue:

36760128615_cf1dda6ee3_z.jpg

Seriously? Carefully removed them with the duck-billed nano-saw and glued them in place:

36363572030_4a0e105f5d_z.jpg

At least they'll be hidden by the barrels... ho hum.

• Like 13

Looking good Ced, as the others have said the PE stuff is too large, and the kit offering is more in keeping with scale and dimensions. As per Mr bbudde's advice, if you can scrape 'em smaller go for it, although it'll be quite fiddly. Other than that as per Mr Baron's and Giorgio's remarks, you won't see much once the barrels are on, and hey, at the end of the day your spit is fulfilling a vital service keeping troops in beer, so providing the barrels and straps are in keeping with authenticity - which they are - then to hell with the racks!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am trying very hard (I know, very trying too) to remember any instance, any, just one will do, when photoetch has been the right size, indeed even the right choice for a model in 1/72 scale for me   :(

I am aware that Crisp is finding gainful emplyment in 1/48 scale of some etchery designed to make hanging noisy bangy things off the sides of Sea Kings

1/48 scale and even that has needed modification in some manner

Did you just write 'double bits to the outside'?

EDIT

My screen res is a bit pants so I didn't see the double bits were outside  :(

If you need to take me out and shoot me, do distract me with a pint of something hospitable

Partial to a few pints of Bass if that is OK

:)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/19/2017 at 14:55, CedB said:

So I've become a bit obsessed with D-day stripes. Jaime (@jrlx) did a great reference post on it here. Sadly the photos have been hit by the PB ransom but the main bit of interest is that the stripes are 18" which equates to 6.35mm at 1/72.

Ced, thanks for your interest in my technique of painting D-Day stripes. It's probably a bit late for your build but I've just re-linked the pictures of the post where I explain the technique in a step-by-step fashion (here).

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 4

Thanks Benedikt, Giorgio, Tony, Simon, Tomo and Johnny - I'm with you, the kit parts DO look better and I also think they're closer to the 'original' in size :) 

Thanks Bill - something to watch out for; the PE instructions look as though the doubles are on the inside, but I think outside is right :) Bass for me too please!

Thanks Jaime for updating the photo links in your thread - it's a great reference and step-by-step, well worth bookmarking (I have!) :) 

In a vain attempt to avoid more PE work I've painted inked the LE stripes. I've cheated again as I did on earlier Spitfires and used the Liquidex pens. Easy:

35961223353_f9c0a8cd53_z.jpg

I quite like the 'field painted' / weathered look it gives after a couple of coats (fast drying). That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

No excuse not to get on with the barrels now. First I made sure of the strap position:

36770437445_06293cd9bd_z.jpg

Then I carefully glued the straps with dots of CA around the barrel. Held in tweezers. Pinged. Cursed. Found on the floor. Finally, glued on:

35961521853_e8b5b47601_z.jpg

CA on the racks, barrel placed and pushed down gently, drop of CA on the joins, just to be sure. 

When that's dry I might take some close up shots. Too nervous to move it at the moment.

• Like 16

I just knowad I like you Ced, its w kind of instinctive thing

Anyone who enjoys a proper quaffing session of beer drinking has to be my kinda guy

Bass has none of that "infused heathers and cinnamon, wafted over a bed of whiskey grained hot hops and with strong flavours of wibble" crap for me

"I'll just have a pint please, glass of Muscadet for the wife too bartender. Have a drink on me yourself!"

Edited by perdu
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Fine job with them barrels, Ced! :clap::clap:

Now you have two perfectly weathered barrels hanging from a pristine aircraft, though .... you might have to fix that :whistle::devil::D:D

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, perdu said:

Anyone who enjoys a proper quaffing session of beer drinking has to be my kinda guy

As a descendant of two generations of London publicans Bill I wish to associate myself with those perspicacious pronouncements...and indeed the general tenor of your subject here Ced.

Still awaiting release of the legendary Kate Bush / Chas & Dave collaboration on Spitfires and beer: 'Oh England, Mine's a Half.'....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks Bill - it's mutual! Proper Chap stuff is Bass. And Butcombe, my current favourite in the local :) 

Thanks Giorgio :) Ah but, the barrels didn't come WITH the aircraft, they've been hanging about for ages. The aircraft was little used (apparently) so I'm not going over the top with weathering.

Thanks Tony :D We must all have a beer (or two). Telford? Still deciding but I may go up Friday and stay a couple of nights.

On with the fiddly bits. Drill a hole for the underwing aerial:

35962314733_e2a2b75ea6_z.jpg

I was warned. Those drills are fragile. No, really.

Note that the roundel there has been touched up over the hump with my mixed paint. Nice to see it matches.

Stick on the aerial, cannon (broke off), rear view mirror (again!), prop and pitot. Touch up. Nav lights. Done. Ready for matt coat:

35963887663_f94735d0a3_z.jpg

36602898482_f9d56df1bf_z.jpg

As promised, a close up of the barrels:

35938489084_264b1d0beb_z.jpg

Happy with those.

I'll come back later after the matt and de-masking to post a link to the RFI.

Thanks as always for your help, support and general companionship, really appreciated :) 

• Like 16

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Thanks Giorgio :) Ah but, the barrels didn't come WITH the aircraft, they've been hanging about for ages. The aircraft was little used (apparently) so I'm not going over the top with weathering.

Yes, of course ... I was just teasing you :D:D

Great job, looking forward to the RFI pics now :clap::clap:

Ciao

• Haha 1