Beer Barrel Run - Spitfire LFIX 1/72

CedB

5 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

A bit of touching up (snurf, snurf) and those stripes will be fine.

Agreed ( :D ). 

Lifecolor and black basing? I think you're on to a winner, here. Just remember to be patient with them paint coats :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Greetings from a Peronne!

this spitfire is looking bloody great! Shame about some of the bleed on the tape but that can be sorted by a fellow of your talent? 

Really enjoying your attention to detail on this one, your getting much more adept at putting on the tiny bits of PE and they really add to this... only wish I could both my backside to do the same!

Rob

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

A bit of touching up (snurf, snurf) and those stripes will be fine.

Martian

Thanks Martian - it shall be done! :) 

Thanks Giorgio - I'm sort of looking forward to it! :) 

Thanks Rob - yep, special subject, special effort. Enjoy the Peronne! :) 

Ever had problems getting your spinner to fit on the Eduard Spit? Me too. As I was trimming the inside of the prop in an attempt to close the gap I noticed these lugs:

35863707224_51cf82403a_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

and the dents in the backplate. Line them up and hey presto!

35889033543_a4aa3f36f5_z.jpg

• Like 10

Great stripe action Ced. Not easy; the stripes on the rear fuselage of Spitfires in 1/72. 

In fact, all big stripes in 1/72 can be tricky (in my case efforts with Spanish Republican red bands). It's hard not to get the creep. Isn't there a technique where something is painted over the edge of the masking tape to stop creep? I have a vague memory of reading it somewhere but  don't know what it entails, a clear coat to seal the edge :shrug:

Good spotting of the lugs on the spinner :thumbsup2: . Duly noted in case I get one of these (I should, shouldn't I?).

So, now it's nearly finished what's next :D?

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 3

Tony,

The one I have heard of is spraying a clear coat over the edge of the tape before you spray color.  Supposedly this puts enough of a barrier to stop the bleeding.

I have never done this before but should have given it a try on the C-47.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Tony :) The gubbins (no, not gibbons as auto-correct seems to think) is part of the Sphere Products 'Small Model Aircraft Painting Stand', £15 well spent. It's great for holding models like this as long as you don't want the prop to spin - you need to drill a hole to get it in, but then it grips really well. There's even a pin vice with it. Bet you come away from that site with more than the stand though - they do some tempting stuff!

'Thanks to a previous Ced build I bought one, they're extremely good!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, philp said:

Tony,

The one I have heard of is spraying a clear coat over the edge of the tape before you spray color.  Supposedly this puts enough of a barrier to stop the bleeding.

As philp says Tony, a gloss clear coat helps in preventing the paint creeping underneath the masking. I normally do that by brush, only along the mask edges (and using Future); just make sure you don't put on a too thick of a coat, to avoid any unaesthetic ridges.

One other thing I like to do is to have the paint mix I'm spraying on top of the mask slightly thicker then normal, so that it dries when reaching the model surface; again, care must be taken not to overdo and avoiding ridges :winkgrin:  HTH

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Giorgio and John :)

BM is... soooo... slow... I'm not catching up with my notifications but persevering with the posts so I don't have a big backlog (and forget what happened!).

I realised I'd have to mask the edges of the stripes and, rather than just do that, I decided to take a peek:

36555849701_3aafff931c_z.jpg

36524698022_10fbecda50_z.jpg

36555870451_d7ffaba41a_z.jpg

Can you see where I didn't pinch enough? I obviously missed burnishing into some of the panel lines too. To be honest I think I thinned the paint too much and had to do more passes than I would have like. I didn't used to thin Model Air. Lesson learned.

Final bit of messing about was to mask up and paint the remaining bit of the Sky band and paint the spinner using a little pot of H90:

35884811743_6de32b6195_z.jpg

Hard to see the difference, but it's also hard to see on the scheme!

Proper masking and main colours (Lifecolor) next using the black-basing technique (he said confidently). Wish me luck!

Hello CED,

I feel a little bit less alone now.

You gonna get it right, nice job whatever.

Lots of swearing from CC when I get the tape out, Exactly the same twist !

Then the sky area in the white stripe

And then the camouflaged area in the middle of the stipes, Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore

I use to train everyday, well almost, well not every day

It turned me mad.

See you later.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 4

Great job on the stripes Ced. As mentioned, a little touching up ( fnarr fnarr)  will see you right.

The other method to sealing tape, is to spray a light coat of the colour you're masking over, then any bleed through matches the paint under the tape. Never tried it myself, as I always seem to luck out masking, and don't get any paint bleed. After saying that though, I'm sure the God of modelling will deem me worthy of his inattention next time I mask something, and wave his staff to give me epic paint bleed. 

Should never tempt fate like that.

Looking forward to seeing how you tackle the black basing, as I've not seen it done before. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Very nice stripes Ced.:king: looking gooooood. I keep seeing overspray. I know you're painting over it but I can't not see it. 

Damn my eyes. 

Johnny boy.

Thanks Johnny - don't worry, the overspray is there, it's not you! It'll get, er, oversprayed later :) 

11 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Great stripe action Ced. Not easy; the stripes on the rear fuselage of Spitfires in 1/72. 

In fact, all big stripes in 1/72 can be tricky (in my case efforts with Spanish Republican red bands). It's hard not to get the creep. Isn't there a technique where something is painted over the edge of the masking tape to stop creep? I have a vague memory of reading it somewhere but  don't know what it entails, a clear coat to seal the edge :shrug:

Good spotting of the lugs on the spinner :thumbsup2: . Duly noted in case I get one of these (I should, shouldn't I?).

So, now it's nearly finished what's next :D?

Best regards

TonyT

Thanks TT - yep, stripes are tricky but worth it. :) You should get one, if not more. If you're not bothered about decals then I ordered one kit and an overtree, plus PE and masks. You only get one set of decals though so don't get caught out! I'm not too bothered about the creep as I'll touch it up lated to give some variation in the finish. What's next? Finishing this first then I'll have a think. Not long until the floatplane GB eh?

7 hours ago, philp said:

Tony,

4 hours ago, giemme said:

As philp says Tony, a gloss clear coat helps in preventing the paint creeping underneath the masking. I normally do that by brush, only along the mask edges (and using Future); just make sure you don't put on a too thick of a coat, to avoid any unaesthetic ridges.

One other thing I like to do is to have the paint mix I'm spraying on top of the mask slightly thicker then normal, so that it dries when reaching the model surface; again, care must be taken not to overdo and avoiding ridges :winkgrin:  HTH

Ciao

Thanks Phil and Giorgio - I did read about the clear coat on the edging but I really don't like paint build up. I know this can be reduced by not spraying 'towards the tape edge' but I'm happy to clean up later - always a few dings to sort out. :) 

4 hours ago, Leonl said:

'Thanks to a previous Ced build I bought one, they're extremely good!

Thanks Leon - glad you like the stand, very handy :) 

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello CED,

I feel a little bit less alone now.

You gonna get it right, nice job whatever.

Lots of swearing from CC when I get the tape out, Exactly the same twist !

Then the sky area in the white stripe

And then the camouflaged area in the middle of the stipes, Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore

I use to train everyday, well almost, well not every day

It turned me mad.

See you later.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Thanks CC :) Always nice to know I'm not the only one with a problem!

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I bet a gibbon would do the job just as well - until it got bored anyway...:D

K

Thanks Keith. Bet it couldn't! :D 

39 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Hello again. 4 days away, eh 4 pages more and nearly finished.  Just overlooked them by now, more to read later. Looks very good so far and close to the RFI, I guess. Cheers

Thanks Benedikt :) 

1 minute ago, S5 modeller said:

Great job on the stripes Ced. As mentioned, a little touching up ( fnarr fnarr)  will see you right.

The other method to sealing tape, is to spray a light coat of the colour you're masking over, then any bleed through matches the paint under the tape. Never tried it myself, as I always seem to luck out masking, and don't get any paint bleed. After saying that though, I'm sure the God of modelling will deem me worthy of his inattention next time I mask something, and wave his staff to give me epic paint bleed. 

Should never tempt fate like that.

Looking forward to seeing how you tackle the black basing, as I've not seen it done before. 

Thanks Matt. Still playing with the black basing and thinned paint. I need more practice! :) 

Masked stripes and thinned Lifecolor MSG on the underside:

35876091584_ab4a3cdf0a_z.jpg

• Like 13

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I bet a gibbon would do the job just as well - until it got bored anyway...:D

K

A Gibbon ??

We already have mandrills !

Gibbon now... What a stuff !

Sincerely.

CC

Oh sorry, did anyone know if visiting Gwernymydd is worth the trip ?

• Haha 4

Thanks Simon :) I don't think it's as varied as I like. The Lifecolor is a bit of a pain because it changes colour as it dries. Ho hum.

Thanks CC - we're an equal opportunity primate employer :D 

Ocean Grey on today (I'm a poet and I don't know it):

36714255455_edd730906f_z.jpg

Does look a bit more varied but maybe that's just the paint drying...

• Like 8

Thanks Johnny :) 

To close off the afternoon while I was waiting for the paint to dry I went back to the barrels (hic!) Cut off with one of my new contour saws:

36545180322_ef8b952078_z.jpg

Barrels off! by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Like a knife through butter - great tool. 

The straps around the barrel are PE and they're very shiny so I stuck them on some tape:

36714982125_590ed557d2_z.jpg

and painted them leatherish:

36545577122_e7080db204_z.jpg

THEN I looked at a reference shot and realised they should be metal - look at the clasps:

Spitfire_beer1.jpg

Rats. OK, more paint required! Looking at that, I might also paint the barrel where I cut it from the block so I can hang it the right way up.

• Like 10

Quite a little production line you seem to have Ced. I'm sure you couldn't build them any faster even with full "Mr Ford"
 type equipment!

Looking good too!

Ian

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yep, He got a Rolling Stone !

Hello CeD, Never had problems with Life colors, Air brush or hairy stick.

Both 2 in fact, since I sometime had to rectify the airbrushing with the hairy stick !

Hairy, Hairbrushing, colors Waoooow !

Have a very nice modelling week.

Guess you will have finished her when I'll be back at my desk !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Keith :) 

Thanks Ian - "Mr Ford' equipment? I don't have that... where can you get those tools? :D 

Thanks John - the straps are going to be a challenge. :( 

The Lifecolor is being thinned with Cookie's thinner on the basis that some of his skill might rub off. Not working so far! :) 

To quote the master Cookenbacher "It's not too scientific but about 75% distilled water, 20% Klear/Future, 5% flow improver and some drops of retarder".

Thanks Chris and Keith. I don't have a rolling tool... looked at them and though "When will I use that?". Little did I know. I'm assuming I can roll it around the barrel. We shall see (gulp) :) 

Thanks CC - have a good week :) 

I've touched up the barrels where they were cut from the block and painted the straps with Mr Hobby Burnt Iron:

36580252781_5667f4a923_z.jpg

Happy with the barrels but the iron is a bit grainy isn't it? We'll see if it survives the rolling.

Template time. I've used the Spitfire templates recommended by PC (they can be found here; click on the thumbnail for each file) printed at 66.7% for my scale:

36580473991_92f610c7e2_z.jpg

Cut out with the Gyro-cut and stuck to some paper, 'proper side down':

35910317763_eb1407030f_z.jpg

then sprayed with Re-mount (a picture of the can so you get the right stuff. DON'T get the permanent glue!):

36324304930_37b28975be_z.jpg

That'll be dry by now but I'm not ready to paint so I'll leave it. It stays tacky for ages, just like PostIts. 

• Like 9