Beer Barrel Run - Spitfire LFIX 1/72

CedB

Got to say this Ced, really sincerely and you know I take no prisoners on the bull s**t game, you really do 'do' interiors beautifully sir

Always a pleasure to see your innards

Ooer missis, did he really write that

Oh well suit yerself

I see you convincing that innocent airman that he needs to join your squadron

Hmm

I'd be convinced too

Where does one sign?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 14/08/2017 at 10:27 AM, CedB said:

35751271843_fa9966cc8b_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Happy chaps? 

Yes! I'm much happier, thanks. What I wasn't happy with was how long it was taking you to update this thread, so I though I'd go a searchin' then I notice I'd forgotten to follow.:blush: honestly what's up with me? Any way fully rectified and caught up. The office area is superb dear boy. I'll do better on keeping abreast of things. (Steady) 

Jont.

• Like 1

Breaking radio silence to post this:

Seat from a Spitfire Mk VIII

My own snap of a Mk VIII phenolic resin seat from a flying example at the Temora Aviation Museum near Wagga Wagga in southern NSW.

Apologies for the tardiness of said snap, you got the cockpit closed up too quickly, Ced, and caught me on the hop. Nothing unusual there. Hopefully useful from a reference point of view, nonetheless.

Back to my self-imposed-inflicted exile now.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

The seat in Alex's photo looks like it had at least some green on the sides, so there obviously were variations. 

When I first saw the last photo in post 143 I said to myself " Why is he clamping a plastic pot? " then I looked more closely. :idea:

John

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

The seat in Alex's photo looks like it had at least some green on the sides, so there obviously were variations. 

It looks like a metal strip on the edges. Perhaps it's for reinforcement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I don't really do Spitfires but have to confess that you are making this one look interesting to Mar's leading beer monster!

Martian :pardon:

Thanks Martian - what an accolade! Thanks very much :D 

Seat:

Thanks Keith, Simon, Alex (especially for the photo) and John. Soooo, it looks as though, in the real thing, the whole seat was russet plastic BUT it was hung from the back frame. Eduard have obviously had problems replicating this in 1/72 so they've added some support that isn't there on the real thing. Future modellers can take their pick!

Great stuff chaps, just what people will need if they're (foolishly) using this thread for reference :D 

13 hours ago, massimo said:

...will you be interviewing for the next coule of years???:blahblahblah:

Nice work on the cockpit!:yes:

Thanks massimo :D Easy really - not many of the pilots actually fit in the Spitfire!

(Page 7!)

Thanks Bill - that's very kind of you mate and I'll be happy to have you in the squadron (if you're not already) :D 

Thanks Johnny - very kind. :) If it helps, I 'follow' threads I'm interested in and when I login and my first port of call is my 'Content I follow' stream. Then I look at the notifications to see what members I follow have posted and follow those threads if they're my theme / scale. Click, scroll, repeat! (I watched 'Live, Die, Repeat' again last night - really enjoyed it. I'd forgotten what a great idea it was... clever.)

Thanks Paulo - I'll try to keep it interesting! :D 

Last night I glued the fuselage halves together leaving out the front of the root parts (acquired best practice) and assembled the wings:

36613889625_caf66b7313_z.jpg

36577577046_085f88ea63_z.jpgUntitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Checked the seam this morning:

36455126742_519246c39c_z.jpg

Not too bad. Then I dry fitted the wings. I'd forgotten Eduard's clever plan to thin the training edge and was, initially, appalled at the gap underneath at the back. Then I remembered that this 'rim' on the back of the wings:

36486245321_c6e348f838_z.jpg

and that, if you push the fuselage into the gap from the back and squeeze the sides until the trailing edge is in the groove (yeah, man) you get this:

36227606380_7cef602ac7_z.jpg

36624357015_3231324824_z.jpg

36624357015_3231324824_z.jpgUntitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Nice. I'll fit the front of the root bits and glue it all later.

• Like 15

Thanks Giorgio :) 

I've just been back and edited that last post as some of the pictures weren't showing. Saw a pop-up this morning saying Flickr is now part of some group that's part of Verizon... I hope they're not going to mess about like Photobucket did... better save my albums just in case?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, CedB said:

I 'follow' threads I'm interested in and when I login and my first port of call is my 'Content I follow' stream.

But if you post in a thread & make sure the 'notify me of replies' is clicked on, you get e-mail notification of posts in those threads & can click straight to them.... or do you mean threads you follow without posting in? The only problem is, when following busy threads like this, Perdu's, Ex FAAWAFU, Fritag's (sometimes busy!!) etc etc, your inbox can fill up pretty rapidly!! :D

Good to see the Spit coming together rather more quickly than the Halibag did Ced, good tips again on getting the Eduard things together properly too - I have a Bubbletop XVI getting ever closer to the top of the 'build me' pile, so they'll be v. useful!

Really hope Flickr doesn't cause another photo disaster!!

Keith

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Leonl said:

You can change the preferences to receive one email per day of all the threads you follow. You can then go straight to the threads...

I know Leon, but I like a full inbox, makes me feel popular...!! :D

I actually often just read the content of the post in the notification e-mail, if it's not an update with pics I usually don't even bother to go to the thread!

Keith

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks Giorgio - it looks as though the picture problem might have been a temporary glitch - OK now I think?

Thanks Roger - the wing join is pretty good (see below). I don't know why it's usually a problem on most kits...easy assembly I guess :) 

Thanks Keith - I click the 'follow' button at the top of the post and choose 'Do not notify...' and then browse 'manually'. I used to get plenty of email and wanted to keep BM separate from work... perhaps I'll rethink! Good luck with the bubble top!

Thanks Leon - maybe I'll think about using email... :) 

I've reached THAT point in the build. Let us sing together Eduard hymn number 123:

🎶

Why in the world is it in two pieces?

Why, oh Lord, why?

It's only a cowling but it causes such pain

Why is it not simpler we cry.

🎶

Coo, rhymes too. Anyway, after staring at the H!?H3 H2?H4 parts and not being able to see any difference I cut them from the sprue and cleaned them up. Put them together. Guess what? Gap.

Just give in Ced and glue the damned thing:

36584561456_4ddd92f534_z.jpg

Better men than I have tried and failed...I'm smug about the wing join though:

36584566856_8f2b17e0ba_z.jpg

36584569176_94e7c77871_z.jpg

and, ignoring the usual 'why don't the wingtip panel lines line up' (mine did on one) we have the lovely lines of a Spitfire:

35796269514_d8bf50b63f_z.jpg

PE for the radiators and cooler next. Hmmm, I think I'll leave those for a bit...

• Like 17

There, all at a sudden, we have a Spitfire! :clap:

I had a few problems with Flickr myself this morning: trying to upload some pics, all I had was blank files. Then after a few minutes, it all went back to normal :shrug:

Ciao

• Like 1

Crikey, this thread is hard to keep up with! I've been running so hard that the belt on my trousers broke; they fell down twice on the last page :confused: 

Very swift progress Ced. I like how you painted and weathered the barrels :).

A very nice cockpit area. Phenolic resin. I'm going to remember that. Very useful photo from Alex. 

Why did they split the cowl top :shrug: ?

Looking forward to the next instalment 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Why did they split the cowl top :shrug:

Cos there weren't enough evil in the world that day so they gone made us some.

2 hours ago, CedB said:

PE for the radiators and cooler next.

I've only just got used to there being a fuselage all of a sudden and now he speeds up even more! 

Earlier footage of a Ced build:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CedB said:

35796269514_d8bf50b63f_z.jpg

PE for the radiators and cooler next. Hmmm, I think I'll leave those for a bit...

Watch it when you put the exhausts in, mine popped the cowling off!  I think that's why Eduard say to fit first, even though it's a rubbish idea for easy painting.

Looks like you may have the same tiny step I had on the port leading edge root!  Starboard was perfect.   Something I'll be looking out for on my other Eduard IXs, VIIIs and XVI.   I wonder if there's a tiny mismatch in the alignment pins of all of them?

Cheers

Will

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Why in the world is it in two pieces?

Why, oh Lord, why?

It's only a cowling but it causes such pain

Why is it not simpler we cry.

Because my friend

They know in the end,

That fools like me

Will £3 odd more spend,

on a Brassin replacement you see...

..:D 

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Fritag's (sometimes busy!!)

Oi - pistols at dawn!..........Ok fair cop Guv :whistle:

I avoid getting notifications from BM - I like the surprise of logging in and seeing what's new.

Anyways you can always rely on a Ced thread to have summat new and entertaining to read :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The dreaded Eduard cowlings strike again :worry:

One should probaly send Ultracast (or Barracuda) a small fortune in exchange for a lifetimes supply of Eduard Spitfire cowlings!

But in 1/72 the Brassin ones fits and is without totally different new Dzus fasteners...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1