Beer Barrel Run - Spitfire LFIX 1/72

CedB

Thanks Bill - sad to say I was up early this morning; a neighbour's alarm went off (grrrrr). Went back to bed though so I'm OK  :sleepy:

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, perdu said:

No need for us to perform our almost legendary housing husbandry for you then?

Oh well

Phew - that was close, Ced ... :D:D:D

Ciao

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

The barrels definitely look better.

I was up early this morning too, but because our 13 yr old dog Flossie was not her usual noisy self when SWMBO got up after being sick last night. Her temperature was high and she was drinking lot of water, so we got her to the Vet as soon as possible where they examined her thoroughly and gave her an ultrasound to check her 'lady bits'. She has a urinary tract infection apparently so we now have to give her antibiotics, which she eats like sweets fortunately.  

Cheers John

• Sad 6

Are you filling the barrels Ced?

Now everyone has eaten and refreshed we can await the action.

As for alarms Ced, we live in the centre of town , right by the main shopping area, and twice in a row we had an alarm go off early hours of the morning.

And it was pretty loud.

Thankfully it has been quiet since then.

Simon

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CedB said:

More later - you never know, we might get to a Spitfire before page 4...

Barrels look a lot better now Ced. They don't look like they are glued up with peanut butter any more.

We're on page 4 now, so where's our promised spitfire? 

Only joking mate, take your time. I hope you watched the health and safety ad about scaffolding before you climbed out.

Can just imagine you doing this.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Alan :) Strangely I can't 'react' to your post as there's no button on your post - weird, there on others...

I was just about to ask whether anybody else had that on Alan's post...!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:01 AM, CedB said:

Johnny Johnson

I think Neville Duke did one of these runs in North Africa.. JJ, a great pilot and Ace but have you ever heard of his time as OC Aden and the mutiny in the 60s?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Well, made it before page ten anyways! Standing room only at this point, but well worth it.

Oh calm down. Everybody put his oar in here, I guess.  So  I invite you to take my seat in the last row,  just to watch around the whole theatre here  of course. Cheers

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thanks for the offer Bill (very kind as usual) but I'll be OK... just packed Mrs B and her friend off to the airport (5 o'clock start) for a week away so there WILL be modelling! :partytime:

No house party though, sorry lads, we still have the painters here and I don't trust you lot not to swing from the scaffolding...

Thanks Giorgio - a close shave indeed! :D 

Thanks John - sorry to hear about the dog; I hope she's feeling better soon :) 

Thanks Simon - the barrels won't be filled (unless they already are, of course) but I HAVE resolved my issue (bless you). I'll put them on upside down on the basis that 'they' were worried that the bungs might leak at altitude. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :) 

Thanks Matt - there will be Spitfire soon. I hope :) Thanks for the H&S video - I wonder how many people watched it? (See worry about scaffolding above)

Thanks Keith, weird eh? :) 

Thanks bzn - I think Aden was hard for everyone eh? :) 

Thanks Benedikt :) I was waiting for those Nuns to do something naughty... Robbie Williams? Hmmm.

Hi Tomo and welcome :) 

Hi Cookie, glad to have you along :) 

Thanks Trevor - unsightly steins, love it :laugh: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The mess of this thread. I don't drop by for a couple of days and look at the state it's in already.

Great stuff.:lol:

The Luftwaffe tried something similar I believe but transporting those gassy continental lagers underwing was lethal when you hit turbulence and several aircraft were lost in the ensuing explosions.

Towards the end of the war in Europe, beer barrel Mod 603 came in:

polish-beer-bomb-2.jpg

You can see the 'warhead' of vermouth being added to barrels of gin by ground crew in the above photo. The 'Noel Coward' (as it was fondly called) was clearly distinguished from the standard beer configuration by small apertures in the side of the barrel for 'fusing' with  olives, as can be seen here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

You can see the 'warhead' of vermouth being added to barrels of gin [...]

Far, far too much Vermouth. A proper Martini involves the Vermouth being shown to the Gin.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Beard said:

Far, far too much Vermouth. A proper Martini involves the Vermouth being shown to the Gin.

This was wartime remember Beard - the vermouth was far weaker at this period as it came over in powdered form from the US.

Domestic attempts at producing an ersatz vermouth earlier in the war had resulted in failure. A factory was even set up in the New Forest producing 'Lord Woolton's Elixir' (as the concoction was marketed under) but it was woefully underpowered, being made from identical ingredients to those used in Woolton Pie.

• Haha 6

20 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I was up early this morning too, but because our 13 yr old dog Flossie was not her usual noisy self when SWMBO got up after being sick last night. Her temperature was high and she was drinking lot of water, so we got her to the Vet as soon as possible where they examined her thoroughly and gave her an ultrasound to check her 'lady bits'. She has a urinary tract infection apparently so we now have to give her antibiotics, which she eats like sweets fortunately.  

Cheers John

You sound confused. All dogs eat antibiotics like sweets!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Cheers John

By the way, 

1)  I hope Flossie gets better soon. This sort of thing does respond well - and quickly - to antibiotics.

2)  My daughter 's cocker spaniel is also called Flossie - but just 18 months old. Your post was bound to catch my eye!

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Beard said:

I was led to believe that the best Martini merely involved the bartender bowing in the direction of France whilst stirring the gin & ice

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thanks Leon :) No WAY do I have 'open' house parties anymore. When Mum went to see my Sister in Malta (or was it Cyprus) when I was about seventeen the choice of visit to my Sis or being left 'home alone' was easy. Parteeee! A load of hippies turned up, pinched some records and, horror of horrors, one of them threw the loo roll cover

toilet_doll1.jpg

down the pan! ANIMALS!

Our girls also had one (despite a stern warning) when they were about the same age and Mrs B and I went away for a short break. Two very apologetic girls greeted us at the door on our return. We still have the candle burn on the sofa covers (just to be able to point at when required) and I remember 'phoning one of the boys who had helped themselves to my cigars. They were only Hamlet (cue 'Air on the G String'*) but it still counts. They replaced them of course. Not bad kids, just unattended, with alcohol, m'lud.

Hi Tony - this threads a mess? Oooh, pot kettle... :P:D 

Great shot of the 'Noel Cowards' though. I know nothing of Martinis except the 'Espresso Martini' that my eldest seems fond of now - espresso and Vodka (I think), nice.

Thanks Simon and rs2man for the alternative recipes - by the way, why is it a dry Martini? What's a wet one like?

Tony of course I had to look up Woolton Pie and, as baking is one of my planned retirement activities, read the recipe. 'Shortening'? What the... ah, a link:

"A solid fat made from vegetable oils... which have been hydrogenated to create a solid."

Yuk. But wait, further down:

SUBSTITUTIONS:

copha, lard, butter, margarine

Ah, lard, that's more LIKE it! We had our standards, even during the war!

Thanks John - Molly will eat most things but tablets have to be hidden in cheese (at least she's trained us that this is the case) :D 

Spitfire. That's what it's all about. Get on with it man...

* No boys, not that sort of G string... it's a song by some geezer called Bach.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

One hour later...

Sprues marked up:

36186224390_ec3dfc01d2_z.jpg

Worth doing IMHO if, like me, you put the sprues back in the box.

Step 1 - fiddly seat bits. I find the best way is to position one side on the bench and let a drop of TET pull the bits into rough alignment:

36445394971_3331b5d766_z.jpg

Giorgio recommended these blades and they're great for getting PE off the sheet:

35773723563_2808214bfa_z.jpg

I like to do my 'bakelite' seats with H73:

36583380095_b40bf24668_z.jpg

and I can tell it's been ages since I did a Spitfire as it's gone gloopy, again. Out with the thinners and a quick sniff of the paint... memories are made of this. Bit of IG and it's done:

36584143915_d3cb0dcf8a_z.jpg

Ready for the flat black backrest. And some metal on the lever.

Is that it? Well, not quite. I spent a lot of time trying to find details of JE-J Jr / MK 329 and, as usual, the Internet is full of conflicting information. 

Ho hum. I'm just going to follow the Eduard scheme then. 

• Like 13

OK, so no house party the, we'll have a BBQ in the garden instead. We could do a Ground Force type thing while we were at it. Who's going to get Charlie Dimmock along?

Martian of the Green Fingers

• Haha 5