Porsche 917k reference material

Pascal

I'm looking for pictures of Porsche 917-012, when it raced in Lucky Strike livery at Kyalami in 1971.

The tubes from the rear frame seem to differ from car to car, can anyone help me finding reference material ?

Sincerely

Pascal

18 hours ago, Pascal said:

I'm looking for pictures of Porsche 917-012, when it raced in Lucky Strike livery at Kyalami in 1971.

The tubes from the rear frame seem to differ from car to car, can anyone help me finding reference material ?

You will very likely find some photos here, hundreds and hundreds of sportscar photos. But it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

https://sportprototipo.tumblr.com/archive

Rob

Few and far between: I did a tidy up of the 1/18 Norev car in Lucky Strike colours and only found a few images. I can't recall about tubes, but the main difference I noted were no tyre markings on the real car and gold wheels, both of which are incorrect on the Norev version.

Thx for the help.

@ Shaun : The gunnar racing site has lots of usefull photos, thx.

@ Rob : Thx for the link. Didn't found was I was looking for, but I found lots of other nice photos (Bob Akin's 962's and Obermaier 956).

@ Sabrejet : The Norev 1/18 model is the reason that I'm looking for ref material. What brand and number of gold did you use for the wheels ?

I'm still looking for ref material from the 9hrs Kyalami race in 1971. I would like to know if the tubes of the rear frame are like the Gulf cars, or more like other 917's.

I would also like to know if the 917-012 had the spare wheel / tire fitted for the Kyalami race.

These are the only photos that I've found :

a729277a5aaee0fb63fd72b409821c1f.jpg

Based on these 2 photos, I think the spare wheel / tire was not fitted. What do you guys think ? :

df85be3b912b5d72c3a749f89790d40d.jpg

05e49323202a24a0d19d4f683391ffd6.jpg

The tubes are a bit different from this 917, the Lucky Strike car has at least 2 tubes less :

51ff11ee1d4ecd692dc720ee29baead2.jpg

This photo shows the brackets that hold the spare wheel / tire :

b2678d8120b9a80a7bd366ac8df5b9e0.jpg

But the Norev model has a different layout of the tubes (sorry for the crappy photos) :

bdea87a2b0248fc18a396b08ca700358.jpg

b9a000550ed1a11370305ee7f452aa76.jpg

All help, thoughs and ideas are welcome !

Sincerely

Pascal

I dug out my 917 works reference tome. Sadly, no pictures of a naked chassis. A could of things that might help. One, 917-12 was trashed and rebuilt as 917-021, and then sold to David Piper (for reasons and in a deal that even the factory records think is "obscure"). If I'm reading it right, it was rebuilt from a long-tail, so the rear structure might be a hybrid of the longtail with some homebrew engineering from David Piper, which might explain why it doesn't look the same as one that was built as a K...

best,

M.