Scourge of the Western Front - 1:72 Airfix Fokker Eindecker E.II +++ Completed +++

Bonhoff

Hi All,

As threatened / promised in the chat section of this GB I'm in with a WW1 themed aircraft - The Fokker E.11 "Eindecker" 

Box Shot

36457600206_dd04d7eb04_c.jpg

Not many parts to the kit but they are beautifully moulded IMHO.

First off - start the cockpit - Glued together then primed.

36366614921_f1dbff0219_c.jpg

Half an hour into the second lunchtime working on it I was here...

36366615281_5495138f77_c.jpg

Airfix had listed out a couple of colours for the wooden interior but I went with what was in my travelling toolbox which is Humbrol 93 (Desert Yellow) with a Citadel Agrax Earthshade wash over the top. The seat was painted in Vallejo Hull red in lieu of a leathery colour and a tape lapstrap added.

Fuselage has been closed up now but no photo yet as I was interrupted by a colleague who somewhat inconsiderately wanted to talk about work.

KR's

IanJ

Edited by Bonhoff
Completed Build
  • Like 4

Hi Ian

I have just got home and posted the first post on my build of the Eduard Fokker E.II.  I didn't realise you had already posted but hope you don't mind two builds of the same plane (albeit different scales).

Looking forward to following yours.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Davek72 said:

Hi Ian

I have just got home and posted the first post on my build of the Eduard Fokker E.II.  I didn't realise you had already posted but hope you don't mind two builds of the same plane (albeit different scales).

Looking forward to following yours.

Cheers

Dave

The more the merrier is the way I see it. I look forward to seeing yours built.

KRs

IanJ

And here's the fuselage closed up.

35754997773_2e541b6b28_c.jpg

Didn't manage a perfect seam on top so have used some thick Humbrol primer in lieu of Mr Surfacer.

35798195693_23a49c3a3e_c.jpg

And a bit more progress - Started drilling the wings out for rigging using a newly acquired 0.3mm drill - Don't have a holder that'll close down tight enough so have had to resort to splitting a cocktail stick to make a handle suitable for drilling purposes - Drill held in place by CA. Not pretty but it works.

KR's

IanJ

• Like 4

That's taking shape nicely Ian and a good tip for the drill holder :)

I've done something similar with a sewing needle.  It's proven to be a surprisingly useful tool, especially for lifting the edge of masking tape when you're trying to remove it after painting.

Cliff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Further progress

36745445062_656bca54a8_c_d.jpg

Couple or three coats of Citadel "Bleached Bone" for the linen colour, I had so much hassle brush painting the DH-2 using Humbrol and Vallejo I thought I'd give this a try. Thinned with water it's a lot better behaved and the coverage much improved. Vallejo Aluminium for the cowling.

20170830_133448[1]

Machine gun has had a brown wash - Really brought the detail out.

20170830_134812[1]

Undercarriage added - Instructions said paint in Humbrol 78 but I think it's a little too green - Thought I'd read somewhere that the actual colour was similar to RLM02 but it'll do as that's what I had in my box. No one else at home will know. Wings just clipped in place pending another coat of paint.

KR's

IanJ

• Like 5

Basic construction and paint completed - After 4 coats I've given up with trying to get an even finish....

20170901_135518[1]

20170901_135533[1]

Tail can go on once the decals have been applied - Think the mountings are a bit too fragile to withstand applying the crosses directly.

Then rigging.

KR's

IanJ

• Like 4

First bit of rigging done.

20170903_123326[1]

One piece from the centre of the undercarriage, through the wing, over the brace in from of the cockpit, through the other wing then back to the undercarriage. Repeat as necessary.

The rigging to the outermost points on the wings had been loosely placed and then got tangled up with a cocktail stick that I was using to apply CA so had to be cut out. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise as I've now realised that the decals will need to be applied to the wings before I do any further rigging.

KR's

IanJ

• Like 5

Main decals on, rigging recommenced.

20170906_212227

The fuselage bands don't quite line up but everything settled down with a couple of applications of Set and Sol.

KR's

IanJ

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Goodness, me! That is really impressive. I kinda want to try one, but I know I wont get it looking as nice. I'll just keep looking at your build instead :D 

Thanks for sharing. 

Thanks but really there's nothing too difficult about this kit - It's a perfect introduction to rigging, certainly easier than the Eduard DH-2 that I decided to do as my first fully rigged aeroplane, once you've done one of those anything else is simplicity itself.

Do try it for yourself, you'll be amazed.

IanJ

• Thanks 1