Canberra TT18 question

Red Dot

1 hour ago, Red Dot said:

Hi Akira,

can you see the colour of the u/c bays and legs?

andy

Andy the main gear bays and legs are white, nose leg is grey,  not sure about the nose wheel doors yet, they should be white too, but look like black on some photos?

John

I have additional two questions below, and could you help me on these questions??

(1), Number of backseat on the TT.18, only one? or two??  According to the instruction sheet of the Classic Airframes' TT.18 kit,  they instruct to place only one ejection seat in the back side.  However, according to the TT.18 cockpit photos of the Canberra SIG, it clearly shows that there are two ejection seats in the back side.

(2), According to the paint instruction sheet of the Classic Airframes' TT.18 kit, there is "NO" national roundels on under surface(outboard side) of the wing of WJ639. I wonder if the grey WJ639 did surely not have the roundel on the underside of the wing???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nabe3 said:

I have additional two questions below, and could you help me on these questions??

(1), Number of backseat on the TT.18, only one? or two??  According to the instruction sheet of the Classic Airframes' TT.18 kit,  they instruct to place only one ejection seat in the back side.  However, according to the TT.18 cockpit photos of the Canberra SIG, it clearly shows that there are two ejection seats in the back side.

(2), According to the paint instruction sheet of the Classic Airframes' TT.18 kit, there is "NO" national roundels on under surface(outboard side) of the wing of WJ639. I wonder if the grey WJ639 did surely not have the roundel on the underside of the wing???

Hi, it's two seats in the back, and no under wing roundels. 

John

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nabe3 said:

58 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

... and no under wing roundels. 

John

The 7 Sqn TT18s definitely did have the underwing roundels, in the LAG era it was the three colour type.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 71chally said:

The 7 Sqn TT18s definitely did have the underwing roundels, in the LAG era it was the three colour type.

Absolutely right James! My default memory is always 100 Sqn so no roundles or serials, but you're right, 7 Sqn yes. @nabe3 Akira also note the auxiliary window just back from the nose cone, these are on all Canberra's except the B(I)8 and PR.9. Also the doward identification lights forward of the bomb bay doors, which sometimes get painted out of plated over.   

p8Nq72.jpg  

John

• Like 3

More vagaries of the Canberra John!

I don't need an excuse to post this photo twice!

English Electric Canberra TT18 WK127 St Mawgan 7-5-71

and another one from 1971 courtesy of Stephen J Rendle - Air Britain

Image result for canberra tt18 st mawgan

Another one here from Stephen Rendle, of WJ639 clearly showing the under nacelle spotlights

1512476-large.jpg

In the camo era the Canberras wore a mix of the traditional three colour underwing roundels, and the two tone tactical type.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

On ‎2018‎年‎3‎月‎11‎日 at 20:42, 71chally said:

Another one here from Stephen Rendle, of WJ639 clearly showing the under nacelle spotlights

Hello James and John, I'm currently making the bulges of the spotlight by using an artificial wood.  I have another question about the spotlight.  How should I make/paint the surface of the spotlight lens?  Does it look like a clear lens with a silver reflector just like a landing light or a taxi light??  Or, does it have a black lens cover in front of the spotlight lens?? Thank you again in advance.

Akira   

27 minutes ago, nabe3 said:

Hello James and John, I'm currently making the bulges of the spotlight by using an artificial wood.  I have another question about the spotlight.  How should I make/paint the surface of the spotlight lens?  Does it look like a clear lens with a silver reflector just like a landing light or a taxi light??  Or, does it have a black lens cover in front of the spotlight lens?? Thank you again in advance.

Akira   

Hi Akira

It will be a clear glass with a silver reflector, as James says the light is from an old type of British truck, so it is actually a head light. 

John

• Like 1

Good question!

Unfortunately clear shots of the spotlight area in service are hard to find.  I was told that it was literally a Bedford truck headlamp (guessing 7" Lucas type?) fitted into the fairings, I can't quite see why it would need a cover. 

However in some shots the area does look quite dark as if there was a flat clear screen covering the headlamp area, and I think I might lean to that idea.

Edit,

This is quite a clear shot that you can enlarge and it does look like a flat screen cover over the aperture

WJ639 Canberra

NickW20 - Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

I would have to measure the one I have but it sounds about the size of the flat round Canberra camera window? 

John 

Possibly, I was assuming a bit of perspex made up in workshops, but you could well be right.

This is enlargement from a slide and I think you can just make out the headlamp within the fairing

39987633915_cec7778af1_c.jpgCanberra TT.18 WJ639 spotlight fairings by James Thomas, on Flickr

• Like 2

On ‎2018‎年‎3‎月‎11‎日 at 19:03, canberra kid said:

Absolutely right James! My default memory is always 100 Sqn so no roundles or serials, but you're right, 7 Sqn yes. @nabe3 Akira also note the auxiliary window just back from the nose cone, these are on all Canberra's except the B(I)8 and PR.9. Also the doward identification lights forward of the bomb bay doors, which sometimes get painted out of plated over.   

p8Nq72.jpg  

John

Hello, I have further questions regarding the following two items, which John mentioned above.

(1), How the auxiliary window just back from the nose cone looks like??  Do you have a close-up photo looking up to the window from immediately below??

(2), What is the doward identification lights forward of the bomb bay doors??  What are these lights for?? Do you have a close-up photo looking up the lights from immediately below??

Thank you again in advance.  I'm currently assembling the fuselage, and I want to put them in my model before I glue the fuselage halves together.

Akira

• Like 1

The underside window can be seen well in this shot, a foot or so aft of the of the bomb aimers blister.  It is slightly off centre to stb'd, but not as much as the bomb aimers glass panel.

Canberra_TT.18_(26959780831).jpg

Rob Schleiffert - Wikipedia

The downward identification lights were a hangover from it's coldwar past, but they consist of three lights with different colour lenses and sit behind a clear oblong panel on the fuselage underside between the nosewheel doors and the bomb doors.

Canberra.jpg

Tim Beach

Hopefully John will have clearer images

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, 71chally said:

The underside window can be seen well in this shot, a foot or so aft of the of the bomb aimers blister.  It is slightly off centre to stb'd, but not as much as the bomb aimers glass panel.

Canberra_TT.18_(26959780831).jpg

Rob Schleiffert - Wikipedia

The downward identification lights were a hangover from it's coldwar past, but they consist of three lights with different colour lenses and sit behind a clear oblong panel on the fuselage underside between the nosewheel doors and the bomb doors.

Canberra.jpg

Tim Beach

Hopefully John will have clearer images

Thanks James, what you say is correct, they were to flash the colour of the day in the same way they did in WW. 2. They were fitted to all B.2 variant's some times they got over painted. The same with the secondery nose window. I'll get some photos and mesurment's posted when I get off the bus home. 

John

• Like 1

Right starting at the front, the nose window. All measurements in inches.

pfAjzn.jpg

pfAlZs.jpg

and from the inside

pfAauJ.jpg

Next the Identification lights, I have a photo which I can't find at the moment but I will post when I do, in the meantime this drawing shows the relative size and position of the lights, this drawing is for the B.6 which only had one white light in the centre, the one on the TT.18 will have had 3 coloured lights.

pfAbrc.jpg

the last one the tail ident light, this is a single white and is fitted to all Mk's of British built Canberra.

pfAFoj.jpg

pfAsN1.jpg

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

Great info John, is that underside window off centre, it looks central in your shot?

The one under the nose James? If so yes it is in the centre. It's a bit of an odd shape though, but not enough to bother with in 1/48 scale.

John

Edited by canberra kid
Adding a word 😊
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking again John, that inside view of the underside window does show it as being just a little off centre to stb'd.

Akira the pictures in this link are handy for showing the downward ID lights in their oblong window, just behind the nose undercarriage bay,

http://www.rafupwood.co.uk/wh887.html

Also note the inlet scoop on stb'd side of the nose undercarriage bay.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1