1/72 Airfix A-4Q Skyhawk Argentine Navy 1982

Hi all,

My latest finish, the lovely wee Skyhawk in 1/72 from Airfix using decals (more about that later) from their much older Skyhawk kit in the Falklands War multi-kit gift boxing.

This is 100% OOB (so some aerials will be missing) and the only extra was masking tape belts in the cockpit. If you're interested, the full WIP is here.

Using the old Airfix decals seemed like a great idea but the carrier film was thick enough to land a plane on hence the really bad bumps/silvering on the final finish. Oh well, you live and learn.

I handpainted the tail colours as the decals wouldn't stick with a gallon of setting solution and a brick on top. I kept the final finish grubby, to try to lessen the decals but also because I imagined these had a rough life in the South Atlantic in 1982...

Kit: Airfix A03029 - a little gem and loved building it.

Scale: 1/72

Build: Out of box 

Paint: White from a Halfords rattle can, all others Revell Acrylics with a brush. Klear, Flory Models Wash, W&N Flat Coat.

Decals: A-4Q Skyhawk S/n 3-A-304 from No. 3 Attack Squadron, Argentine Navy. Operated from Bahia Blanca, 1982 and survived the conflict.

Extras: Masking tape seat belts.

Thanks for looking and comments/criticisms accepted!

Dermo

35687541823_6577013c33_b.jpg

36496058135_96b52c7139_b.jpg

36496058245_533270b307_b.jpg

36358790441_98bbd3a097_b.jpg

36496057845_ea1652e41b_b.jpg

And with an Italeri Sea Harrier from the same time...

36496057185_e11761ac6b_b.jpg

Edited by Dermo245
Fixing photos
  • Like 17

Now that is a beauty :). Its well built, its Latin, its 1/72!!! What could be wrong.... A great example of what great things can be achieved in the gentleman's scale. ;)

Martin

• Like 1

You've done well to get those decals down so well- Airfix decals from that time were absolutely awful- and impervious to any sort of setting solutions. 

Thankfully there's loads of aftermarket decals out there for FAA and ARA Skyhawks, so make your life easier next time round. (This little kit is like Pringles, once you pop you can't stop- there's so many cool Argentinian schemes- everything from natural metal delivery scheme for the FAA to low-viz schemes- via a few experimental wartime schemes in between. There was even one that was rushed up over the Falklands/Malvinas still in it's primer!)

Will

• Like 1