Ukrainian Flanker

Fido996

After having attended this years RIAT I came away suitably inspired to build a replica of the Ukrainian Flanker complete with that fantastic digital camo. Now, I've recently moved over to Vallejo acrylics from Humbrol/Revell enamels, and I get on really well with them. My only problem is that I have real trouble matching their colours using my eye. They always look close right up until the paint hits plastic. Then it all goes wrong (just ask my last Tomcat build)!

Anyway, what I'm asking in a long winded way, is peoples opinion on the colours for said birds plumage? I have FS numbers from a 1/144th decal sheet but I don't for the life of me believe that the Ukrainian AF use FS sourced  paint for their planes. Just in case the numbers I have are FS15085 for the dark blue, FS16293 for the grey and FS15092 for the lighter blue. The colour for the underside being stated as FS25183.

I would like to try and keep this centred around the Vallejo/ Ammo Mig range if possible ( mainly because I have a new paint rack and all the holes are the same size :-) ).

Thanks in advance for any help gents.

Oh, here's the bird in question.

P1018557

• Like 2

I use Tamiya thinner with a couple of drops of Vallejo's airbrush flow improver spayed onto Vallejo surface primer. It's usually paint 50% and thinner/flow 50% mix. It works most of the time but I also find that taking some of the tack off of the masking tape helps as well.

• Like 1

Thud i also use Vallejo but i find clear coat over the paint before masking works. Slows everything down but its worth the effort. I use Vallejo with water in a rough 50/50 mix with a few drops maybe 5 of Medea airbrush cleaner. When i read about trying it i was wary & I didn't believe it. I can attest Medea cleaner works like a flow-enhancer as it has a very soapy feel in its standard form. 

• Like 2

AKAN does have a set for this particular scheme. Fido, you don't state where you are; so, if in the USA, check the Linden Hills Imports site. If in the UK, Coast Command is the site for all the modellers there wanting to buy AKAN.

Don't know why the 'quote' is there; I didn't click on it.

Edited by JPuente54
add extra content
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, JPuente54 said:

AKAN does have a set for this particular scheme. Fido, you don't state where you are; so, if in the USA, check the Linden Hills Imports site. If in the UK, Coast Command is the site for all the modellers there wanting to buy AKAN.

Don't know why the 'quote' is there; I didn't click on it.

Of course, yes. :banghead:Forgot about Coast Command. 

Thank you kindly for that. :D

Edited by Fido996

I did this aircraft (bort 100) in 1/72 scale - using the Trumpeter Su-27 and Authentic Decals.

Digital_002.jpg

IIRC, I used the AKAN colours as recommended by Authentic decals - their decal sheet is matched to AKAN colours.

The decals went on superbly BTW - they include extra bits of each decal colour for 'patching' if needed (which I didn't)

Ken

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Apologies folks for dragging this one up again, but I’ve finally got into a position where I’m getting the bits together for my next build. The problem is Coastal Craft no longer stock Akan paint sets. The only other place I’ve found so far is from a source in Hong Kong via eBay.

Anyone else got any ideas please?

I am going to follow this topic very closely, as I am considering the exact same build (after a USAF Thunderbirds F-16C). And speaking of exact same, judging from the picture angle etc, you must have been on the grandstand almost next to me as I got the same shot... 😀

Robert

On 5/17/2018 at 8:06 PM, Fido996 said:

Apologies folks for dragging this one up again, but I’ve finally got into a position where I’m getting the bits together for my next build. The problem is Coastal Craft no longer stock Akan paint sets. The only other place I’ve found so far is from a source in Hong Kong via eBay.

Anyone else got any ideas please?

There are two shops that stock Akan, one in Finland:

http://hpns.eu.nettihotelli.org/shop/su-27-ukrainian-air-force-digital-camouflage-a

and one in Greece:

https://hobbycolours.com/products/su-27-digital-camouflage?variant=44500725909

https://hobbycolours.com/products/su-27-digital-camouflage-1

Both have their own forums here on Britmodeller. The Finnish shop has the Acrylic set (those starting with 47 afaik) in stock, while the Greek one has the lacquer set (those starting with 46 afaik) in stock.

• 9 months later...

Found this thread as I was searching for some info on whether Ukranian camo used the same colours as Russia. If so, there's a Youtube video of an SU-27 build (Russian) by max_afterburner and it states mixes using Tamiya acrylics for the light blue, blue and grey and also an intriguing way of getting the camo pattern right (not digital, though, I draw the line at that!).

If anybody can answer the initial question above, I'd be interested.