Avro Lincoln RE424

woody37

That clears things up, I ordered a copy of the book last night from Amazon but it wasn't by Chaz Bowyer, about £10 inc. postage. Looking forwards to reading it now after all this Lincoln chat :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cngaero said:

I haven't seen the Chaz Bowyer book, but I have a copy of Lincoln at War by Garbutt and Goulding that you're more than welcome to  borrow if you can't find one.

Thanks for the kind offer Chris, just noticed your message, I've got one on the way and will no doubt come in useful and hopefully help me to finalise a scheme!

25 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Thanks for the kind offer Chris, just noticed your message, I've got one on the way and will no doubt come in useful and hopefully help me to finalise a scheme!

That's no problem Neil. 

It's a very nice book by two authors who really know their subject. Their Lancaster at War series are a very useful reference to have and the Lincoln book was a natural follow on.

Bombing Colours, 1937-1973 by Michael J F Bowyer has a small, but useful section on the Lincoln, giving information on the different colours used on the spinners to denote particular squadrons.

Good luck on picking a scheme.

• Like 2

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 6:16 PM, cngaero said:

spinners to denote particular squadrons.

In a Lincoln with Blue Spinners over the Cathedral, Norwich ,nice sunny day, looking down taking the sights in....All of a sudden..."Look at that"! Combat power and banked away ,just in time for another Lincoln with four red Spinners  banking the other way an shoot past them about  200 yards away. :pilot:He told me the squadron, I've forgotten.

Got another Lincoln story saved for later.:book:

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 2

They had to deliver a Lincoln to RAF Aldergrove for a major servicing and return to Waddington in a Lincoln that's just come off a servicing and back on Sqn Strength. No Bomb aimer, Air Gunner, just Pilot, Flt Eng and Nav. There was also a Sqn Nav returning from leave visiting relatives in Belfast. A murky winter's night they took off and were flying for a bit in and out of "thinnish" cloud . Something in the distance  caught the pilot's eye. I think I just saw lights eleven o'clock a bit higher,gone now. Clouds clear......Its a ******* Bus ! they're looking up at it ! They blast  past a single decker, people looking out the windows . The Irish Nav  just shouted pull up , Power Skip ! Now ! We're in a ****** Valley !

The Irish Nav, being a local, knew exactly where they were. In a Valley in FOG! They got out of it. The altimeter was u/s and over reading . Lucky they had that Irish guy with them.

Bet nobody believed anyone on that bus.

The first time I heard this story I must have had my mouth hanging wide open.  then I fell about laughing, couldn't stop.

Edited by bzn20

9 hours ago, bzn20 said:

In a Lincoln with Blue Spinners over the Cathedral, Norwich ,nice sunny day, looking down taking the sights in....All of a sudden..."Look at that"! Combat power and banked away ,just in time for another Lincoln with four red Spinners  banking the other way an shoot past them about  200 yards away. :pilot:He told me the squadron, I've forgotten.

Got another Lincoln story saved for later.:book:

I've just done a bit of checking in my copy of Bombing Colours regarding the squadron colours worn on the spinners of the Lincoln and from July 1951, gives the following examples as:

No 7 - Blue

No 49 - White

No 97 - Red

No 100 - Green

No 148 - Red

No 214 - Yellow

No 617 - Red

I've just read both of your Dad's latest Lincoln stories and blimey, what an eventful career he had.

I particularly enjoyed the Irish tale. I'll bet it wasn't only the spinners that were colourful that day, I'm sure the air would have been a lovely shade of blue!!

Thanks once again for relating them here.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cngaero said:

Lincoln stories

I don't think he was alone. Looking at the attrition rate he was lucky ! He was also on 101 and possibly 55, 57 sqns the OCU, not sure either Upwood or Lindolm

Edited by bzn20

On 8/17/2017 at 2:56 AM, bzn20 said:

So if you've worn your keypad or your tablet/phone touch screen is down a few thousandths of an inch searching for a Lincoln book  written by Chaz Bowyer on the strength of my post :rage:stop looking, put your feet up and have a cup of Tea !

:sorry:

Too late. :P

Steve. 

• Haha 1