Avro Lincoln RE424

woody37

Hi all,

I'm looking at schemes to do my 48 scale Lincoln in and come across a profile of RE424 in the Warpaint book. From what I can gather on the net, this was the last one produced yet has the old style A1 roundels instead of the type D ones which surprises me. Can anyone shed any light on this and whether you believe it is correct?

I quite fancy it due to the yellow tail striped and two coloured spinners, but would prefer to do one with the D type roundels. 

Thanks

What Squadron was it? I can ask my dad who was on several Lincoln Sqns and OCU as Rigger and Flt Eng. He joined up with Chaz Bowyer, of Lincoln at War fame to name just one of his books and contributed info for it. I must admit I've heard a lot of stories but he never mentioned the last one built. He was on RF serials mostly ,eg RF555 was one of his so I can't understand how the last one got RE serial, I'll talk to him tonight.

• Like 2

The profile in the WP magazine indicates 101 Sqn at the time, though could of moved around. Looking at the serials in there, RE434 was the last built at Chadderton. There are some photo's of brand new Lincolns (RF355 shown) awaiting delivery that have the A1 roundels so it's difficult to tell whether the result is from different manufacturers painting different roundels on???

All very confusing.

Must be great hearing such stories from your dad.

Cheers

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, woody37 said:

different roundels

I'm sure they would have standardised the markings at Station/Sqn level. Dads out so I'll catch him tomorrow. His stories? They're belters,I keep hearing the same ones ,then all of a sudden he tells me a new one. To be honest I don't know how he's still alive. If you look at the crash lish that Steve linked to, the attrition rate was something else. I spotted a few in there the he told me about. 

A couple of stories..He was on one with 4 overheating engines, 2 already shut down just after take off, a third shut down and the fourth still going , just..on finals !

Another on fog diversion made them low on fuel and 4 overshoots didn't help.. They hit the Radar van, took the open back door off and part of the wing tip on landing, zero fuel ,the gauges were bottomed. Guy in the van was okay BTW.

• Like 4

WD149 was the last Lincoln completed, by Armstrong Whitworth at Baginton.  She initially wore the post-war so-called "Type D" national markings with gloss black undersides and Medium Sea Grey upper surfaces.

Initial Lincoln airframes, including the prototypes, all wore National Marking i upper surface rounders ("Type B") with National Marking iii ("Type C1") on fuselage sides.  The so-called Type A1 roundels (red, white, blue and yellow with diameters in the ratios 1:3:5:7 respectively) had been discontinued two years before PW925, the first prototype Lincoln made its first flight.  Early airframes were generally finished in standard RAF night bomber colours but some of the early RF-serialled airframes, around RF385, were in Tiger Force colours with white upper surfaces (which soon attracted grot by the bucketload if contemporary photos are anything to go by) and gloss black under surfaces without a low demarcation.  These also sported National Marking iA upper surface roundels (red, white and blue with the narrow white ring).

• Like 4

I'd agree with stever219 that the fuselage roundels are indeed Type C1.

If you have a copy of Lincoln At War by Garnett and Goulding, there's a picture of RE424 on page 28 which differs slightly from the Warpaint book in that it displays the No101 Squadron badge just forward of the cockpit.

It goes on to say that the rudder stripes were worn to indicate the aircraft's role an the Binbrook leader for the mass fly past in honour of the King's birthday in 1950. However, it cannot confirm the colours of the rudder stripes.

I can understand your preference for an aircraft wearing Type D national markings though, as I think they just look "right".

My preference was always for an RF serialed aircraft sporting the large 48" serials in white. I can't really explain why, they just look so right on the Lincoln.

Both of your models are coming on very nicely. I can't wait to see the finished results.

Edited by cngaero
  • Like 2

Just got off the phone to Dad.. He was on Christmas leave when RE424 crashed in fog due to a faulty/loose static vent giving a false height "landed" in  a farmer's field on approach to Wadd. It had its wheels down but it was still a write off. He hasn't any 1st hand knowledge of the 1950 king's flypast apart from whats in Lincoln at War. He was at Waddington then.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 3:35 PM, cngaero said:

That's a gorgeous picture. It would be great to read some more of his tales.

Okay then...They were on a NATO exercise  way up in the North Sea to Bomb the US Navy Carrier Battle Group (Yorktown or Enterprise) EDIT The Franklin D Roosevelt at night trying to break out into the Atlantic. They spotted it in the moonlight, He said there was no better sight than a Carrier Battle group. The Bomb Aimer took the photo, they'd "hit" the Carrier. The tail gunner sparked up fighter ! He'd just killed a Navy fighter . It was a Grumman Bearcat he carried on coming and put himself just behind the Lincoln's trailing edge and his right wing between the wing and tail. The gunner ,Skipper look over your left shoulder, Dad was the Flt Eng he looked, he could see the Bearcat jockey's face lit up by his instrument panel behind a huge propeller disk. They were having a Mk1 panic on the Lincoln, one false move by either plane would end up in tears. The Bearcat was bucking in the Lincoln's wash and an argument about him shooting down the Lincoln before they bombed the Carrier. They got the Carrier and Bearcat, confirmed later. The Jockey gave them the "bird" and peeled off out of there.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, cngaero said:

eventful time

Taking off from Upwood, I think, off down the runway tail is still on the deck another Lincoln taxiing across the runway right in front of them..Pilot calls for Combat power and dad put the throttles "through" the bulkhead, it got off but still going to hit so he banked missed the Lincoln and heading for the Bomb Dump hauling it round and slowly climbing there were Officer's Married Quarters coming up just cleared the house actually took some tiles off, Dad saw the occupant looking out (MO in the kid's bedroom putting them to bed,found that out later) He collapsed ! Imagine looking out and just seeing a Lincoln on full power ?? They got back in okay after going over the tower so they could check the landing gear.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Imagine looking out and just seeing a Lincoln on full power ?? They got back in okay after going over the tower so they could check the landing gear.

What an amazing story with, thankfully, a happy ending. I bet the laundry bill was a tad higher that week. 

Thanks to your Dad for relaying these stories, they're a pleasure to read.

• Like 1

Have to say, great thread drift, I'm even more inspired now although still not sure what scheme to do it in! I'm trying to find a scheme that is true to the kit, given that I've included a mid upper turret, but also it has the protruding exhaust shrouds rather than the more common (later??) ones. Agree with Chris in that they look right with type D markings too.hhhmmmmmm decisions !

• Like 1

If you haven't already got it, I would try and borrow or buy 'Lincoln At War', it is a superb book and you forget just how many schemes the Lincoln wore in its day, that;s before you consider the test aircraft including an all red RAE example!

I had a quick flick through earlier, but couldn't see RE424.

I got mine for £2 at a jumble.

Be great if it was ever re-published, especially with some of the images that have surfaced since it first came out.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 71chally said:

'Lincoln At War'

Dad was a contributor to that book, he joined up (Airframes) with the author, Chaz Bowyer who was an Aircraft Armarourer Fitter who sadly died a nearly 10 years ago. RIP

Dads copy is signed by Chaz !

Edited by bzn20

7 hours ago, woody37 said:

I'll look for a copy, sounds like a must buy guys :)

I haven't seen the Chaz Bowyer book, but I have a copy of Lincoln at War by Garbutt and Goulding that you're more than welcome to  borrow if you can't find one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 71chally said:

apologies BZN20

Forget about "Sorry" , I should be the one saying sorry..

That's the book I thought was by Chaz Bowyer :tapedshut:

I phoned my dad...Even funnier, he hasn't even written a Lincoln at War book ! Years ago dads been to an Entry/Halton reunion, he came back with a stack of  Chaz Bowyer  .........at war books about the same time he got Lincoln at War. I didn't get to see them for a while, live no where near . I always thought all those "at war" books he had  (no!) were CB's efforts even after flicking through the others and the Lincoln book. I must have saw his sig in one of his CB .... at War books.

So if you've worn your keypad or your tablet/phone touch screen is down a few thousandths of an inch searching for a Lincoln book  written by Chaz Bowyer on the strength of my post :rage:stop looking, put your feet up and have a cup of Tea !

:sorry:

Good news is Chally found the book by the right people, loads about for under £10..Don't get even more confused, some Lincoln at war books have details about a disagreement in Gettysberg .

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2