This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Max Headroom

Isaac Asimov's Foundation Series Finally Being Developed for TV

Max Headroom    5,968

I was going to mention the Riverworld series of books, but there have already been two 'adaptations' so probably won't appear anytime soon.

Trevor

Posted (edited)

How many versions of 'Dune' have we seen and IIRC there yet another one in the works.

I think the biggest problem is translating a complex intellectual property into entertainment- a lot of enjoyment comes from the concepts involved and how the mind is engaged. Translating that  sort of thing into a strictly visual medium is always a challenge no matter who is at the helm.

The Foundation 'Trilogy' encompasses a larger number of books, I have enjoyed them all except the last one where  R. Daneel Olivaw from 'Caves of Steel' makes a reappearance and thows the entire future history sideways since he was responsible for guiding everything himself.

Edited by Richard Baker

cmatthewbacon    1,612
On 12/08/2017 at 4:33 PM, Kallisti said:

its just too much for TV execs to handle. They are basically ignorant philistines who produce  the occasional successful SF show mainly by accident while churning out more dross than you can shake a broom at. 

I'm not sure that's fair: The Expanse, Childhood's End, Westworld and The Man in the High Castle are all pretty good recent SF shows, I'd say...

best,

M.

fatalbert    262
On 10/08/2017 at 9:05 PM, Gorby said:

My all time favourite Sci fi book is 'Inherit the Stars' by James P. Hogan. I've often thought it would make a stunning film, but apparently not by anyone in the film industry.

Apparently Morgan Freeman wants to make 'Rendezvous with Rama', but it has been stuck in what he refers to as 'development hell' for years and may now, never happen.

Mine too,a brilliant series,although I found the the last two books arnt as good as the first three.

fatalbert    262
Posted (edited)

I would love to see Altered Carbon,broken  angels and woken furies,by Richard Morgan bought to the big screen.Brilliant books.

Just found out that Altered Carbon is being filmed now.Happy days 😊

Edited by fatalbert

AngstROM    1,049
2 hours ago, Richard Baker said:

R. Daneel Olivaw from 'Caves of Steel' makes a reappearance and thows the entire future history sideways since he was responsible for guiding everything himself.

Robots messing with the future -don't ya just hate it when that happens!

Martin T    498
On 11/08/2017 at 3:38 PM, Niall said:

The BBC did the original 3 books as an 8 part radio series in 1973. Amazon did an MP3 download but its does not seem to be available anymore.

Yes, I have that as a download after hearing the original when it first came out. I also had it on cassette which was a Christmas present in the early nineties. It was available fairly recently. 

Martin T    498

Some of Jack McDevitts (Academy series, Moonfall etc) books would make a good series or film, although might not be for modern tastes. 

Nigel Heath    13,740

Another story I would like to see made into a movie is 'The Fountains of Paradise' by Arthur C. Clarke. That would be something!

Me too, "The Fountains of Paradise" is my all  time favourite book - for me its the best that I have ever read. Its got it all, exotic materials (prophesying carbon nano tubes in the form of "pseudo one dimensional diamond"), alien contact, the colonisation of Mars, space elevators, I could go on but now its time for bed.

Bye,

Nigel

Niall    93

I'd add David Brinn's Uplift and James White's Sector General series as those I would like to see made for TV.

Also I forgot to mention that the BBC did the Caves of Steel as a radio play in the late 1980's with Ed Bishop as Elijah Bailey.

Ray S    1,388

I think I would like to see the 'Lensman' series of books by EE Doc Smith made into film, with the possible exception of the last book, Masters of the Vortex.

They are fast paced and totally unbelievable, but would be great escapism!

Ray

spitfire    882
42 minutes ago, Ray S said:

I think I would like to see the 'Lensman' series of books by EE Doc Smith made into film, with the possible exception of the last book, Masters of the Vortex.

They are fast paced and totally unbelievable, but would be great escapism!

Ray

That brings back memories, the Lensman series was instrumental in getting me hooked on reading  science fiction books when a friend of mine was clearing out his house prior to moving and gave me a couple of the books.

Cheers

Dennis

Niall    93

The Lensman series were done as an animated series for Japanese TV back in the 1980's.

cmatthewbacon    1,612
30 minutes ago, Niall said:

The Lensman series were done as an animated series for Japanese TV back in the 1980's.

Do they have much to do with the books other than the character names and the lens as an artefact?

best,

M.

John Laidlaw    1,121

The closest we were going to get to any kind of real Lensman adaptation was with J. Michael Straczynski writing it, but that folded in 2014. From Wikipedia:

In 2008, Ron Howard's Imagine Entertainment and Universal Pictures began negotiations with the author's estate for rights to film the Lensman series. The negotiations were for an 18-month renewable option.[4] At the WonderCon convention in San Francisco in February 2008, J. Michael Straczynski, the creator of Babylon 5, confirmed that Howard had acquired the rights and also hinted that he was involved in the project.[5] On 17 June 2008, Straczynski wrote that he had begun work on the project.[6] On 2 April 2014, Straczynski wrote that Universal had scrapped the project, citing excessive cost and that the rights had reverted to the estate.[7]

bentwaters81tfw    6,535
16 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Me too, "The Fountains of Paradise" is my all  time favourite book - for me its the best that I have ever read. Its got it all, exotic materials (prophesying carbon nano tubes in the form of "pseudo one dimensional diamond"), alien contact, the colonisation of Mars, space elevators, I could go on but now its time for bed.

Bye,

Nigel

Another book I read many years ago. I had forgotten some of these.

A book that would easier to do is Robert Heinlein's "Time Enough For Love"

Sadly, my local library has gone all 'coffee shop' and internet cafe. Where there used to be shelves of SF is now a modern sculpture of some seagulls.

All the big names of SF are missing now.

One book which I think would make an excellent four parter is Robert A. Heinlein's 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress'. 

It has political and social intrigue, a sense of humor and some wonderful action sequences. It is also an excellent depiction of what happens when you try to combat an enemy force that is at the top of a gravity well.

Only negative is the Moon's social system involving Poly-Marriages. Very logical in the book, but it would either be embraced disproportionally or completely ignored, depending on who produced it.

Pete in Lincs    6,280
On 8/15/2017 at 5:44 PM, fatalbert said:

Just found out that Altered Carbon is being filmed now.Happy days 😊

Happy days indeed! Love those books!

GordonD    2,507

A book I'd like to see filmed is 'A Fall of Moondust' by Arthur C. Clarke. Wouldn't need to be that expensive - much of the 'action' takes place aboard a tourist bus which has become buried beneath the dust on the Moon (you can see where the title comes from!!) so it wouldn't need huge sets.