Maintrack Project X

Kes

I've been chasing a few Project X kits around on eBay without much success, they certainly go for prices beyond my wallet!

Do Maintrack still exist? is there someone somewhere with the tools to begin production again??

I'm thinking SR53/177, FD1, HP88 that kind of thing??

. . . Kes

Olimp Models Pro Resin do, or did a rather nice range of British prototype aircraft such as the Arvo 707 series, Boulton Paul P111 and P120, BAC 221, Fairey FD1, Shorts SC1, Shorts SB5 and Bristol 188.

They are all nice little kits and make an interesting collection.

A quick check on Hannant's website shows that most are still available.

I can confirm discussing these with the Whirlybird chaps at Telford last year whilst I was dragging out the process of buying their S-61N conversion over an hour or two. Some of the ex-Maintrack models are available now.

I believe that the Olimp/Pro Resin are copies of the Maintrack versions. I have built a couple, FD1 and P120 and their quality control is not that good but for some a/c they are the only game in town. I have a 188 which I haven't been strong enough to face just yet.

Some of the Maintrack masters have disappeared, according to Roger at Whirlybird.

Whirlybird Vacform with resin/white metal kits are splendid,and easier to produce a nice representation of the 50s British Prototypes.They are usually all still available on their webstie and will  arrive very quickly.Having also experienced the Olimp Resins,I would agree some are not easily built to an acceptable level,and need a lot of finessing to get right.A Vacform is much easier to reshape with particular relevance to getting the wings level on both sides,having had the cutouts/slots at different positions on each side with the Olimps.You can muh easier change that on a Vac:The earlier Maintrack Supermarine 508s suffered from that,but the last Whirlybird one was perfect that I had last year!!!I was waiting for an Olimp 508,but it has not happened yet????

Thanks for the replies fellas, lots to consider, the Whirlybird website seems a bit out of date with no direct method to order? I'll give them a call tomorrow?

I see Hannants are out-of-stock on most of the Pro Resin kits??

I have a few kits of British post war research aircraft,

Anigrand - Handley Page HP.115

Planet Models - Shorts SC1

CMR - Boulton Paul P111

Pro Resin - Bristol T188

Frog - Fairey Delta II

Aeroclub - English Electric P1

On the top of my list would be a Project X HP 88, to build as an homage to the little known mathematician ans aerodynamicist 'Johanna Weber'

Oh, one more thing, why do Airfix SR 53 kits sell for really high prices for such a old and somewhat niche kit??

. . . Kes

5 minutes ago, Kes said:

Oh, one more thing, why do Airfix SR 53 kits sell for really high prices for such a old and somewhat niche kit??

. . . Kes

Probably because there will be no more. Airfix lost the mould. The Ursus kit is a copy, and they have gone as well. People buy the SR53 as a collectors item.

Colin at Freightdog did/has a resin 1/72 SR.53. kit. The website is undergoing an upgrade but you can PM him to find out the situation regarding the kit. He also did an Avro 720.

Robert

23 hours ago, John R said:

I believe that the Olimp/Pro Resin are copies of the Maintrack versions. I have built a couple, FD1 and P120 and their quality control is not that good but for some a/c they are the only game in town. I have a 188 which I haven't been strong enough to face just yet.

Some of the Maintrack masters have disappeared, according to Roger at Whirlybird.

I bought the Maintrack Project X kits when they originally were available and have the Olimp kit too, I would say the former are not copies of the Project X kits. Yes, the Olimp kits require building but they do compare well to the available references whn built.

Thomo.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:17 AM, John R said:

Strangely enough I came into possession of some Esoteric masters and some Maintrack sheets recently( HP 115. HP88, Fairey FD1), am now waiting to see what else turns up.

I built an Olimp P120 some years ago and the wing was so thin as to be useless. It tapered to vanishingly thin at the tip but fortunately I had a spare from the CMR P111a which I was able to use as a substitute. It also had decals for the P111 instead of the 120.

The CMR kit of the P111 is very good and contains enough spare bits to almost build two models.

6 minutes ago, chris57 said:

Strangely enough I came into possession of some Esoteric masters and some Maintrack sheets recently( HP 115. HP88, Fairey FD1), am now waiting to see what else turns up.

Did you mean Maintrack masters? I hope there is a 707A waiting to be found.

I built the Olimp 707A a few years ago and was very pleased with the kit, fit was ok and detail was excellent. Also built the Fairey Delta One, again very nice but I used the metal undercarriage from the Maintrack kit. Later tried the Olimp Gnat and gave up, didn't fit well, that was before the SH Gnat appeared. Agree that the Olimp kits do not seem to be based on the Maintrack ones.

Cheers, Paul

15 hours ago, ptmvarsityfan said:

I built the Olimp 707A a few years ago and was very pleased with the kit, fit was ok and detail was excellent. Also built the Fairey Delta One, again very nice but I used the metal undercarriage from the Maintrack kit. Later tried the Olimp Gnat and gave up, didn't fit well, that was before the SH Gnat appeared. Agree that the Olimp kits do not seem to be based on the Maintrack ones.

I have the Olimp Short SC1. I compared it to photos of the Maintrack kit, and they are different kits as far as I can tell. I found the quality excellent, except for some air bubbles in the leading edges and in the fuselage bottom. Here's mine partly assembled.

sc1-01.jpg

sc1-02.jpg

Rob

On 11.08.2017 at 5:08 PM, mikestow said:

I was waiting for an Olimp 508,but it has not happened yet????

We wait,

zhdun_original.jpg

:):):)

we wait since 2011:

:(:(:(

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27663

but it is already possible not to wait because the owner said that he won't do these models!

On 12.08.2017 at 11:35 AM, Robert said:

Colin at Freightdog did/has a resin 1/72 SR.53.

It is the fine choice! But rather expensive also I think already so rare 
as Airfix or Ursus!

B.R.

Serge

35 minutes ago, Rob de Bie said:

I have the Olimp Short SC1. I compared it to photos of the Maintrack kit, and they are different kits as far as I can tell. I found the quality excellent, except for some air bubbles in the leading edges and in the fuselage bottom. Here's mine partly assembled.

sc1-01.jpg

sc1-02.jpg

Rob

For help:

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/6362-ProResin-1-72-Short-S-C-1.html

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_43927.html

... or not for help? That is the question!!!!

:):):)

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark