RAF Camouflage Patterns For Twin-Engine Biplanes?

Old Man

I intend this weekend to do a 'speed build' of an old Heller Dragon Rapide, as part of a GB on another forum.

I am taking this as my subject, from the old Profile number header, a commrcial machine pressed into service as a trainer flying in 1940:

Screenshot%2039_zps7nixgnu6.png

I would like to know, if possible, what the pattern for the lower wing is, rather than hurriedly guess....

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Actually a simple repeat is not as specified, and in any case would have to have been modified to allow for the side camouflage in the low demarcation option, which rises from aft to fore.

The pattern given in AP2656A  Vol.1  Sect. 6, AL8, as reproduced in British Aviation Colours, for a Rapide, simply has irregular bands approx fore-and-aft on the lower wing.  I should add that the upperwing pattern shown is simpler than that in the Profile, with less colour bands spanwise and no curve on the port wing.  It is otherwise almost the mirror image of the one above.

However, De Havilland will have created their own drawings based on earlier versions of this AP, and these could well differ.  The best thing is to search for all the photos of Rapides that you can find

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1