Airfix FW190D in 1/72

Hi all,

Haven't had much time for modelling lately, but as I'm on holiday this week and it's raining, (typical) I went through my stash and decided to do a nostalgia build. When I was a kid, a mate of mine bought me the old Airfix 1/72 FW190D as a birthday present. I found the same boxing of the same kit on sale at a model show some time back for the princely sum of £3, so I decided that I'd have a go at something from my youth. Strictly out of the box, no scratchbuilding, just build and paint.

Apart from a problem with the canopy being crazed and scuffed and the decals being stuck to the greaseproof paper protecting them, it was a nice kit and went together with virtually no need for filler. I had to soak each decal individually, wash it clean of the now powdery adhesive, and fix them in position using MicroSet and Sol. Despite this, the upper win crosses were just too far gone and I had to resort to masking and spraying them.

Two days from start to finish, with the only addition being an antenna wire from stretched sprue. It's not my best build ever, but I'm on holiday so I wasn't taxing myself. Here's the results:

fw2_zpsgsvcxuzo.jpg

fw1_zpsmlb5cvbp.jpg

fw5_zpsbysvmviq.jpg

fw3_zps5brmpwqd.jpg

fw4_zpsi6ugfzz9.jpg

fw11_zpsvzekljzy.jpg

fw6_zpsenbtfokn.jpg

fw8_zpszeefqiu5.jpg

fw7_zps5bipnmed.jpg

fw9_zps3hje2vwv.jpg

fw10_zps0nv3juxx.jpg

It's a bit clunky in places, but it went together well and was a nice relaxing build, which is what I was looking for!

Now, what's next...?

Dean

• Like 31

Superb work on your 190, Dean -

Great to see you back on the forum - and knocking this one out in 2 days is impressive!   Building a classic kit is great for when you want something uncomplicated to knock up too.

What else do you have in your stash that can be your next project then?

Regards

Dave

That's really neat. I remember when it first came out and caused quite a stir, as it was a huge improvement on Airfix's ancient original Dora.   

• Like 1

Deanflyer's alive?!  Welcome back! 

Of course, to people of my advanced years, this is not the old Airfix Fw 190D but the new Airfix Fw 190D (of a mere 40-odd summers).  The old one, with Stammkennzeichen TD+XI, really was a dog.