1/72 Italeri B52- Its huge

Should this be in 'Work in Progress'? It is a big beast, I couldn't fit on my workbench. Best of luck with it. 

14 minutes ago, Martin T said:

Should this be in 'Work in Progress'? It is a big beast, I couldn't fit on my workbench. Best of luck with it. 

My mistake, I forgot to put it in work in progress, :lol:you should see a size comparison between the b52 and Vulcan. Quite interesting... 😋

Edited by Harrywilliams
  • Like 1

I believe these are the old AMT molds ? You may want to add some form of Rods for spars as I've read that the kits design even after Italeri re-released them had problems with wing droop. The old girl is one of my all time Favorites 😃 and she deserves to look her best. 

• Thanks 1

I remember seeing a 1/72nd Monogram B-52 made up in the window of VHF supplies, Heathrow in the late 60's,think it had lights too....******* Massive ! I could only dream !

We had B-52s ( 4 B-52Ds and 3 B-52Hs) at Brize in 80 and 83 ish, the wings were all over the place, one outrigger on the deck the other side it was in the fresh air.

This going to be some job !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, andyf117 said:

I built the AMT G as a review kit 20-odd years ago, and still have it hanging on a wall, which is by far the easiest and most convenient way to 'display' it.

For some years it was positioned directly below a KC-135R over the stairs, looking for all the world like a vertical inflight refuelling manoeuvre!

I'll probably end up hanging it on the wall next to my Vulcan, hopefully!

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I believe these are the old AMT molds ? You may want to add some form of Rods for spars as I've read that the kits design even after Italeri re-released them had problems with wing droop. The old girl is one of my all time Favorites 😃 and she deserves to look her best. 

They are indeed, I managed to fix the wings together but with great difficulty, no massive "drooping" but fuller is definitely required.

l had often thought on these biggies that you make a display on the ceiling at the corner with a wall. have the front and bottom clear and a mirror on the top to see it. It is just a thought on it and whether it would work it another story

Hacker

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Simon382 said:

Wow! You weren't kidding on how big the beast is!?! Where on Earth will you put it when finished??

That's a very good question:lol: I might follow hackers plan and place it in the corner of my room,though  I'm thinking of putting it next to my 1/72 Vulcan, Maybe have it hanging over my bed.

Some years ago, Fine Scale Modeller, in the US, had some photos of a 1/32 scratch built B-52.  With one wingtip touching the ground, the model was wider than the modeller was tall.  I've seen a shoulder patch with a B-52 plan view, accompanied by the words "Flying the plane my grandfather flew."  Cheers.

• Like 1

Haven't done much in the BUFF for a while, been on holiday, but I did manage to finish all 8 wheels... I'm dreading finding a place to put It, it doesn't fit on my table! Currently it's resting on my Airfix Lancaster (doomed project). As there's some small bits which snap easily when It's level. :lol:

IMG_3686.jpg
gif upload 20mb

• Like 3

On 13/08/2017 at 08:33, Brian said:

Some years ago, Fine Scale Modeller, in the US, had some photos of a 1/32 scratch built B-52.  With one wingtip touching the ground, the model was wider than the modeller was tall.  I've seen a shoulder patch with a B-52 plan view, accompanied by the words "Flying the plane my grandfather flew."  Cheers.

That 1/32 BUFF must have been a sight, wonder how much that would cost.....

Looking Buffy, and currently cruising over the bedspread. Must be cold while it's a convertible though!

What's gone wrong with the Lanc? Is it unsalvageable, or is it now a prime candidate to attempt a scratch-Manchester conversion..?

3 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Blimey, even the model lives up to its BUFF nickname! (except for the Ugly part).

That is a nice model, well done.

Wish I had the room to display one (or even hang one on a wall!).

Cheers, it's nearly ready to be airbrushed, apart from that and the decals it's done!

I'm tempted about hanging on the wall, next to the Airfix Vulcan. Out of reach of the cat. :ner:

4 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Looking Buffy, and currently cruising over the bedspread. Must be cold while it's a convertible though!

What's gone wrong with the Lanc? Is it unsalvageable, or is it now a prime candidate to attempt a scratch-Manchester conversion..?

Well I can confirm it takes up most of the bed, I can't even place it in my work bench it's massive!:lol:

Too be honest i got bored of the lanc it will be finished but there's no rush at present. 

-Harry