Mosquito plans found while closing an office down

jenko

A Full set of Mosquito plans have been found whilst closing down an office in Broughton.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-40873628

Let the rivet counters sort this out :whistle::jump_fire:

Ok so who does do the most accurate Mossie now then ??

Dick

Edited by jenko
spelling as always
  • Like 4

What incredible luck for all the historians and the deHavilland company!  

I shiver when I think of all that has been lost over the years due to someone just chucking stuff in the bin...art, literature, engineering, etc...

• Like 1

Blimey, what a find. Can't beat building to drawing, every bracket, angle, correct material spec. End of educated guessing

Great find. Don't know about rivet counters Jenko. Screw counters maybe?🤔

I see they're all on microfiche aperture cards.😣 The bane of my life at one stage in my aviation 'career'. There's quite a pile in that picture. Don't envy the poor sod who's has to digitise the entire collection. But they'll be better off than the time I had print off drawings eight hours a day for several days. The fumes from the toner nearly killed me. 

I'll bet though the entire collection would fit on a couple of memory cards.

It would be great to see those drawings online one day.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

Remember those days from Uni. when doing technical drawing courses ............... the ammonia really did get to you. Still have some prints 40 odd years on. :lol:

• Like 1

A few years ago I tried to acquire technical drawings of the Polikarpov I-16 from the US Library of Congress and was told that this is impossible since the I-16 was still considered to be a dangerous weapon, etc...I imagine that the Mossy would be too...fast, light, heavily armed (possibly)...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I shiver when I think of all that has been lost over the years due to someone just chucking stuff in the bin...art, literature, engineering, etc...

.....my first job was with a local authority County Architects Department and early on I was sent to an old building used as a store and told to clear it and put it all in the skips outside (as a junior, I was cheaper than getting a contractor or any other employee to do it).  Loads of beautiful colour wash drawings of proposals for rebuilding after the WWII bombing raids, loads of Victorian technical books, council minutes, all sorts.  When I kept querying  things I'd found I was told politely that there was no storage space, it was too expensive to digitise and as no one had bothered for 40 years, they were considered "lost".  So, just put it in the skip as you were asked.  I have a few drawings and books that I kept back.   This must have happened all round the country, especially with manufacturers after the numerous take overs and mergers as factories and drawing offices were closed.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

A few years ago I tried to acquire technical drawings of the Polikarpov I-16 from the US Library of Congress and was told that this is impossible since the I-16 was still considered to be a dangerous weapon, etc...

And of course they were absolutely right.  Half a brick is a dangerous weapon if the other guy doesn't have one.

• Like 1

Just down the road from me too :wub: Someone should get whittlin' immediately and get the airshow attendees of Britain a flying Mossie back on the circuit.  Can't tell you all how much I miss ours.  I grew up with it flying over my house a couple of times a month ^_^

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mike said:

Just down the road from me too :wub: Someone should get whittlin' immediately and get the airshow attendees of Britain a flying Mossie back on the circuit.  Can't tell you all how much I miss ours.  I grew up with it flying over my house a couple of times a month ^_^

I'm with you Mike, it was a grand sight (and sound), let's have another one, please.

Cheers

Dennis

Of all aircraft the Mosquito is the one for me. Might have been seeing them at RAF Bovingdon while filming 633 sqn (my aunty lived next to the airfield) probably the film itself.

Sometime in the late 60s I was with my dad and neighbour also BOAC out the back of Blackbushe  airfield with his dogs ,we could hear  'planes.. They both said Merlins ! Quick as a flash two Mosquitos flying fast and low, Dad said must have been 20 feet either way a danger to Bracken !  What a sight, the noise, fantastic ! They were filming Mosquito squadron at the  big house in the film but actually near Camberley about a mile ish away and also back at Bovingdon but my aunty had moved by then.

My Dad worked with Alec Bristow (RIP) at BOAC ,he was on the 1st Mosquito Bomber Sqn at Horsham St Faith (Norwich Airport) and on the Oslo Gestapo HQ raid. I met him several times.

Years later I'm living in Weston-super-Mud and opposite us was a retired Vicar, Bill Pickard (RIP 2016) who was the cousin of Group Captain Pickard DSO (2 Bars) and DFC on Operation Jericho raid on Amiens Prison, Picardy ,Pickard/Picardy connection is a bit spooky as he and his crew man were killed and he was buried there or at least a memorial there (I forget)

The Mosquito, built by Cabinet and Chair makers and went like the wind ! Multirole PR, Fighter and Bomber with a 4,000 lb Cookie !

Meier, he hated them !

Edited by bzn20

Damned useful for Avspecs - now they can get their 1:1 scale copies right. You know how it is, wrong curve to the nose, maybe a bit pinched - rubbish interior to the gear bays. Now they will be able to get it right at last!! Thats until someone comes up with the 'original plans - update 10.1' and then we start again!!  Now all we need is the same for the Hornet and then maybe a few sizeable components, preferably in the same shed as a dismantled Whitley and a Sterling!!

Look.........I see a pig!! And it flies!.......

• Like 1

On 8/9/2017 at 2:52 PM, John D.C. Masters said:

Yep.  Look no further than the BBC for trashing the irreplaceable.

• Sad 1