Tamiya 1/35 WWI British Tank Mk.IV Male (Motorised)

Hi All,

Finished this a little while ago and used it to try out a few new tools and techniques with weathering. First time using plaster mixed with pigments to create mud, and tried to go for a darker, still wet, look for the centre of the tracks and the lowest parts of the mud. In hindsight (and I may go back at some point and correct) the tracks should probably have been all wet mud, with only small amounts of the lighter stuff.

the kit itself was an absolute joy to assemble. Went together very easily and while I cannot speak for accuracy, I was at Bovington last summer and to my eye I couldn't see any major flaws between it and the photos of the real ones I took. It's definitely a nice kit.

36060424030_d98cddd392_c.jpg

36060423840_7e8e4eac6b_c.jpg

35649638283_0102943365_c.jpg

36060423660_7ddb5fe393_c.jpg

36289072642_f530192349_c.jpg

36060423390_79b658e177_c.jpg

35649647983_94f1166b70_c.jpg

36411762356_e6eac73836_c.jpg

• Like 11

Very nice finished and weathered, to be the motorized version, must have been quite expensive, I would love to see some photos of the interior, finished or in the assembly phase, and some in "movement", if possible.:goodjob:, cheers mate :yes:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Very nice finished and weathered, to be the motorized version, must have been quite expensive, I would love to see some photos of the interior, finished or in the assembly phase, and some in "movement", if possible.:goodjob:, cheers mate :yes:

The interior is basically empty except for the main gun positions and a battery case. 

As for it moving... I'm not sure a photo would show that? I will try and get a photo of the inside as best I can for you though. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Murdo said:

Stone the crows! I didn't even know Tamiya had made a Mk IV.

You've done a really nice job on that!

What was the tracks reality and fit like?

The tracks are single piece per link and go together really nicely. I was very surprised at how well they went together considering they are single pieces as opposed to the usual multiple pieces per link you often get. They then ran beautifully when powered and it chugs along at quite a realistic pace for the scale, Tamiya have done a nice job with the gearing so it doesn't just scream along at a silly speed.

Now that I have weathered the tracks with plaster etc, they still go round, but bits of the weathering then starts to fall off, so not ideal. I did have them running after paint but before weathering and they still worked perfectly.

On 8/10/2017 at 0:08 AM, FrancisGL said:

Here is a video that shows the inside and the tank running. Not made by me, and there's only a few seconds at the end where he has it running. It's also not as noisy or whiney as his camera mic seemed to pick up, either that or he hadn't greased the axels or running sections perhaps.

• Thanks 1

Looks good, the tracks are fine. I can see the effect you've gone for with the outer part of the tracks dry, looks convincing. The top & bottom of the sponsons did collect quite a lot of crud though.

Pete

• Thanks 1

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:02 PM, James B said:

As for it moving... I'm not sure a photo would show that?

:D I think you may be right!

Great job on the weathering and the mud. If you run your tank and some of the mud falls off, I wouldn't worry. It would just add to the realism!

Rearguards

Badder

• Thanks 1