Babylon 5 Starfury...And so it begins

Recently back to the modeling world after many years absence, more on that here. Aiming high with this one.

Couldn't pass this one up on eBay, sold as opened box but sealed package. First thoughts upon opening my mailer: Wow, someone was a smoker. I'm guessing our late collector. Heart skipped a beat when I couldn't find the clear plastic cockpit, but it was just hiding. Whew.

So far all I've done is wash the parts in some warm soap and water as well as collecting some basic tools. I am on a limited budget, but I'm also in no hurry. I do know this project is going to need filling and I have been researching those products, looking hard at Milliput.

36318798251_1c377015e6_b.jpg

35620705474_6f09726a04_b.jpg

I will say that I am going for something a big different as far as results--a lot of the finished models I have seen pictures of seems to be--quite naturally--an attempt to replicate what was seen on-screen. I'd like to instead go for what I think is the spirit of what was intended, and not just what was limited by early/mid 90's CGI & broadcasting constraints...namely, the kind of nebulous gray mottled finish. I may fail miserably, but I enjoy putting in a slice of my own pizazz into things, whether it's work or play.

35620487424_c35d7610fa_b.jpg

In that vein, I have been playing with some non-canon designs. This one is inspired by the brown uniforms that some of the marines wear on the show, as well as real aircraft of course. Just something different. Thoughts/advice appreciated!

:party:

• Like 9

Nice - I build my Starfury long ago and did a custom scheme myself with a big self made "nose art" based on Coops devil women (yes - not one but four). Not sure these could be posted on a "family site" :-D

I did rescribe the panel lines and filled the empty guns and drilled out the barrels. Otherwise I kept it OOB IIRC.

:popcorn:

René

14 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Nice - I build my Starfury long ago and did a custom scheme myself with a big self made "nose art" based on Coops devil women (yes - not one but four). Not sure these could be posted on a "family site" :-D

Wow--I guess you warned me but I did not see that coming. :huh:

• Haha 1

35665835833_ed0acc07e6_b.jpg 

I suppose construction has begun in earnest. Fitted all of two pieces together today...waiting to put on the back plate of the fuselage until my pin vise comes in (going to drill out the rear gun barrels (?) first).

Hoping my eyesight is up to the task of the detail work on this. Don't remember caring so much about removing parts from the sprue as a kid :P I suppose if worse comes to worst, I can spring for some magnification, maybe one of those headband types.

Looks like some dimples already that will need filling, is that normal?

35665835713_0d2a92078f_b.jpg

One thing I did NOT realize is that even the manufacturer seemed to realize how gappy the kit is--the instructions are rife with putty recommendations. 

I did also dry-fit the lower wing assembly, and while I see the gaps everyone mentions it isn't as bad as I feared. Pics of that next time.

Exciting times...

Edited by BubbaFett
  • Like 3

Lots of filling ahead...

I made one of these a few years back and bought a set of after-market cannons to replace the stock items. The quality of detail is much better.

I also bought after-market decals- like the sort you would have seen on ww2 bomber noses.

If I remember correctly, the site was Starship modeller. 

Good luck with the build, it's a nice wee kit, when built up.

Sadly, none of the Starship Modeler parts are available anymore, that I've been able to find anyway. There are however a couple of quite good builds there, one referencing the great big gaps in the 'wing roots' - apparently, they're meant to be there, despite what t'internetz would have you believe.

One day, I'll get around to actually building mine...

On 8/10/2017 at 9:49 PM, Rob G said:

Sadly, none of the Starship Modeler parts are available anymore, that I've been able to find anyway. There are however a couple of quite good builds there, one referencing the great big gaps in the 'wing roots' - apparently, they're meant to be there, despite what t'internetz would have you believe.

One day, I'll get around to actually building mine...

Actually, they are in stock now...mine came in today :)

On 8/11/2017 at 7:59 AM, Gimme Shelter said:

yes - this is going to be a great build to latch onto and follow

Feel welcome, but don't expect too much...been a long time since I tried this and I was never good at it ;) But I just like Babylon 5 and want to have fun with it, so we'll see what happens.

• Like 1

They were OOP for several years until I pestered them a while back to restock :) - since then they've been a good seller, lots of these kits out there!

I've built two of them so far a really bad version back in the 90s when I wasn't fully up to speed with 'modern' modelling techniques and then one about 5 years ago that I added the full lighting kit to. Lots of filler ahead for you I'm afraid, its a pretty poor fitting kit in comparison to what is on offer nowadays.

Here is a comparison between the kit guns and the aftermarket ones, first the kit ones from my first build:

DSCF5151.JPG

and now for the upgraded guns:

DSCF5150.JPG

I added the extra pipes which I'd seen in some screen caps from the series.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

They were OOP for several years until I pestered them a while back to restock :) - since then they've been a good seller, lots of these kits out there!

I've built two of them so far a really bad version back in the 90s when I wasn't fully up to speed with 'modern' modelling techniques and then one about 5 years ago that I added the full lighting kit to. Lots of filler ahead for you I'm afraid, its a pretty poor fitting kit in comparison to what is on offer nowadays.

Your thread on that build is what led to my discovery of these forums :) I'm a bit intimidated by, as you say, "modern modeling techniques"--but we shall see. Opened up my Milliput & began experimenting last night, may start work on the wing seams today.

• Like 1

Well, what with one thing and another I did more coloring than gap filling this weekend. Still working on my vision for the final design. I should mention that anything approaching art is not mine; I "borrowed" a schematic for color testing purposes. This one might be a little too...al dente? I can't find a pin-up style I like enough for the dorsal wing, but I am considering Marvin the Martian in a "Freed Mars" sort of concept.

35768584373_fba3f7d6b0_b.jpg

I did make a first pass at filling seams though, after a little experimentation. I'm hoping to avoid as much sanding as possible (classic over-sander), so I chose Milliput based on being able to sculpt it a little more, adding water and such. Scraped & shaped it with these high-tech instruments. Not much progress, but any progress is forward progress...we hope.

36577955145_b2777646e2_b.jpg

36440263761_6c745f9fcd_b.jpg

• Like 3

Having just been given one of these Thanks Richard!! I'm watching with interest. I've been using a small tea spoon for smoothing Milliput with good results, you may want to experiment.

Talking to people who've built them it seems that at least one run had sink marks as you show. Mine is pretty good but has a couple. Others have none at all.

I also love B5 as it's much grittier than Star Trek and seems more real. Bester is an awesome character evil but not in any traditional way. Great writing and great casting.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2017 at 4:48 PM, Kallisti said:

Kallisti, I really like the paint you used on the thruster pieces, do you remember what type it was? Also, can that kind of paint be mixed for a partially metallic sheen? I have Google searched it a bit but I have not been able to find the answer to what I have in mind.

It wouldn't have been Alclad at that time, I didn't have an airbrush until later. It was most likely Tamiya X10 Gun Metal which has a better sheen to it that X11 or XF16