Mr color varnish and washes compatibility

13odobson

So I have a question about mr color paints. Specifically Super clear iii, semi gloss and Matt varnishes. Are they acrylic paints, enamel paints or other like lacquer based (because they sure do stink!) - Can I paint them over say tamiya acrylic or a metallic enamel, or just the tamiya (which I have done). Secondly what can I paint over them once dry - would I need enamel or acrylic washes, because I have seen washes with x-20 enamel thinners used on top of the mr color varnish, as well as AK washes. Cheers 

My understanding is that Mr. Color paints are lacquers. If so, I would not apply them over anything other than a cured coat of another Mr. Color and use enamels and 'acrylics' over them.

Just now, Space Ranger said:

My understanding is that Mr. Color paints are lacquers. If so, I would not apply them over anything other than a cured coat of another Mr. Color and use enamels and 'acrylics' over them.

Great, I can use washes now (bad previous experience - ruined model). I sprayed the varnish on tamiya acrylic with no issues, although seeing as tamiya paint can also be thinned with mr color thinner (I use levelling), this would make sense. now only over enamel to experiment. Otherwise I will use alclad aqua gloss over enamel. Thanks for the help 

Solved - thanks for help...to any who may stumble upon this. Mr color paint is lacquer based. It can be sprayed on top of acrylic paint but not on top of enamels. Once dried it can then be painted in either enamel or acrylic, or have enamel washes applied (not sure if acrylic washes are common because of the binder used in oils etc).   Once cured I believe it can be overcoated for example if using before and after decals/ weathering. Finally if you need to varnish enamels before washes, use acrylic varnish like alclad aqua gloss to protect the enamel paint, and use enamel based washes on top.