1/72 Special Hobby SAAF Northrop Nomad

Hi

Here is my last build with this Special Hobby Northrop Nomad. This is one of the long family of all metal aircraft designed by Jack Northrop and known as A-17 or DB 8.

I chose to build this SAAF trainer of the 42nd Air School based at South End, Port Elisabeth, South Africa in 1941. Thanks to Tonyot who gave me a picture of her I could add the gun stubs and the Venturi. Sadly I made a beginner fault with some super thin glue in front of the canopy thus the white layer at the junction with the fuselage. Anyway it was a fun build and there are many other DB 8 in my stash to build other exotic roundels.

About roundels I have to say that those with white are really too thin and to compensate I used twice of them. Actually when visiting Special Hobby factory last month I asked a new decal sheet and they kindly gave me one. It could be easy to make a white undercoat before putting the decals.

Patrick

m_503046489_0.jpg

m_503046495_0.jpg

m_503046500_0.jpg

m_503046501_0.jpg

m_503046493_0.jpg

• Like 25

Patrick,

You have done an outstanding job on this one! The colors and subtle weathering are very well done. The Nomad is a very handsome airplane, IMHO, and you have done it justice. I love the scheme and the markings you chose, as well. Now, how about a colorful natural metal USAAC A-17A?

Mike

BTW, what did you use for the antenna wires? They look very much in scale.

• Thanks 1

Bravo, Patrick, well done. Is that a new ( relatively ) release or one of the older SH or MPM kits. I have an older MPM A-17A that I thought I might build as an RCAF Nomad but just want to make sure I use the proper engine combination.

Chris

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Patrick,

You have done an outstanding job on this one! The colors and subtle weathering are very well done. The Nomad is a very handsome airplane, IMHO, and you have done it justice. I love the scheme and the markings you chose, as well. Now, how about a colorful natural metal USAAC A-17A?

Mike

BTW, what did you use for the antenna wires? They look very much in scale.

Thank you Mike. I have in mind natural metal a USAAC A-17A and a Peruvian DB 8 ... and a blue/yellow USAAC A-17. So there are plenty of them. 

I used EZ line stretching wire for the antenna.

Patrick

5 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Bravo, Patrick, well done. Is that a new ( relatively ) release or one of the older SH or MPM kits. I have an older MPM A-17A that I thought I might build as an RCAF Nomad but just want to make sure I use the proper engine combination.

Chris

Hi Chris

This is a recent kit from Special Hobby SH72292 with the dedicated resin exhaust along the fuselage.

m_503059699_0.jpg

Patrick

• Like 1

That's very nice Patrick, the first time I've seen one built up.

I hope to do a Dutch one, they're a little hard to find. 

I like your paint finish, the decals have gone down very well.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Thanks 1

Wow Patrick,...that looks amazing,.....top job! You beat me to it as I`m also making a model of this very same Nomad plus a RCAF target tug,..... but I`ve been away for a few weeks and still have some way to go yet,

All the best

Tony

• Thanks 1