Renault Ft-17 FlyHawk 1/72

My fellow modelers,

my on-again, off-again relationship with this project has now finally found an end. Like in every build so far there were some first-timers for me:

• First model kit in 72nd scale.
  • First armor kit since returning to the hobby.
  • First time dealing with all that glorious mud, grime and dirt poducts. Felt like a kid in a puddle, lol.

The kit itself is nearly perfect. Awesome details, great fit and six varied schemes to choose from. The real challenge, at least for me, were all those incredible tiny parts. Keep in mind that Renault built a tank with 5 m (16.4 ft) of length and 2.14 m (7 ft) of height. Beside the priming the whole build took place under the magnifier.

There is an interesting fact about the history of this tank: Renault started production in 1917, late in WW1. Thus most of them never saw action on the field. This one was, like many of its kind, transferred to the French colonies to ensure dominance of the occupying force. Later, after the armed truce of Compiègne (06/22/1940), in which the Germans allowed France to keep its colonial forces armed, this vehicle became part of the Armee de l'Armistice. The writing on the turret states "Le Champagne".
GL_FT-17_07.jpg

GL_FT-17_05.jpg

GL_FT-17_04.jpg

GL_FT-17_03.jpg

GL_FT-17_02.jpg

For the presentation I cut and sanded a piece of ebony. What a great material!
GL_FT-17_01.jpg

I finish with the obligatory scale picture.
GL_FT-17_06.jpg

Looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

:bye: Torben

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

That is a really outstanding model - especially in 1/72. Superb model building and weathering! Very well done. :worthy:

My only suggestion would be to keep doing more AFV modelling - you obviously have the talent!

Kind regards,

Stix

I've always fancied this kit... Meng's 1/35 FT almost quenched my appetite for this little tank, but i would definitely like to do a second try on that model, as my skills were far less advanced at that time. The dream of course is for the 1/16th FT...

Oh, and fantastic work, btw

wow, and in the gentleman's scale too. Or have you got a large noveity lighter, next to a 1/16 scale kit? :goodjob:

• Haha 1