This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Steve_farrier

Hypothetical N Korean win

IanHx    1,151
10 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

I've just cancelled my two weeks beach holiday to Guam.

John.

What, you didn't fancy the glow-in-the-dark sun tan ?  :D

13 hours ago, Kiwidave4 said:

So the bottle tanned bloke with the comb over isn't? And propaganda is not exclusive to those that we choose to label 'dictator'.

The country that has started the most military conflicts since 1945 is not one of those that we are constantly told are a threat to world peace.

Whilst I agree America has been involved and often spear headed conflicts, 

i guess it all depends on how you tally things up. 

Theres been dozens of wars started/finished/continued/restarted in the African continent that America haven't even sniffed at. Yet are they counted as 1 war between two countries or 4 wars between 1 country as they often divide then assimilate back together. 

The Middle East has been a melting pot for 2000 years or so, and I doubt anything will change there. 

I think despite dodgy hair cuts the person that's started most wars is ... God

irrespectful of which god or even if you believe in God(s) more wars have been started on religious grounds than civil grounds. Even WW2 had some religious aspects as the Fuhrer saw himself doing gods work. As did the allies in clearing his mess up. 

Settinn asside religion for the purpose of gits discussion is easy... I doubt Kim Jon-un has a religious aspect to what he is doing other than himself acting as a god. 

There is a point to be made regarding on cutting off the head..... it might not work... it didn't work for  Al Qaeda. I pick them because although we in the west see N Korea as a messed up ideological oppressive mass murdering dictator.. we simply do not know how his own countrymen see him... they have been closed off to the world for half a century. And only see what they are shown and told. Whilst the world sees Kims claims of inventing space travel or the French fry as laughable... they know no different. 

THey are potentially as indoctrinated as ISIS in the ways of their leaders. A whole country effected by Stockholm syndrome? 

Panzer Vor!!!    3,422

Whose going to resupply him with weapons? Tanks , planes ??? 

Russia has moved troops tanks and heavy equipment to the border along with China which is busy reinforcing troops tanks and planes  

Japan has gone to red alert with missile drills in coastal cities for civilians and its armed forces on alert 

Its no longer if it will start its when ??

Be abit rough on  Japan if they get nuked again !!!

PLC1966    661

Mr Kim is interested in one thing,that is keeping Mr Kim in power.  He is not going to lob any missiles onto mainland USA. End of.

Missiles into Japan and the South may be a different issue and could really throw a curve ball into the strategy of their supporters.

China MAY be getting cheesed of with him, but they will not give the US the excuse to shove troops up to their border, I suspect whilst in public they are not happy with Mr Kim, they will carry on supporting him as they done until now quietly ignoring sanctions, or if they do instigate regime change, their own man will not be open to much change towards the west.

God help us if the Russians roll in, that could really put the cat amongst the pigeons.

noelh    697

Great story. But they probably never heard of story where the hedgehog confronts an elephant. In the end the elephant gets a sore toe and the hedgehog gets flattened. 

hairystick    883
On 8/9/2017 at 0:58 PM, PLC1966 said:

China MAY be getting cheesed of with him...

God help us if the Russians roll in, that could really put the cat amongst the pigeons.

China is cheesed off with him, since he refuses to adopt the economic model that has worked for china. Russia hasn't the ability to act in this theatre, as it didn't in the Korean War so had to call in help from china to sort out the westerners who assaulted all the way to the chinese border.

Quite important to everything is "fuel".

Fat Kid has so little available that military exercises have been a luxury event (not happening) for a few years.

Aircraft do not have sufficient to practice and stay current and most certainly do not EVER have sufficient to fly near the border for fear of defections.

The dictator is nothing more than an extortionist.

Even the "special police" entrusted with keeping the party and also the northern border secure, are now taking bribes.

Brad    1,487

I think you're right hairystick. Kimmy might be a fat little dictator, but I don't think he's a moron and he was educated outside of North Korea, so he would have to know that any type of serious attack, nuclear (doubt he has them) or conventional on the US or Japan is going to end badly. He wants power and to stay in power more than anything, sanctions don't mean much as he doesn't care for the majority of the population anyway.

I'm sure there is a lot of media and military beat up going on too. The media loves a crisis and the military loves having an enemy, means they get more funding.

Aardvark    147
On 09.08.2017 at 3:11 PM, Troy Smith said:

soundtrack to the thread perhaps......

You shouldn't think out soundtracks which thought up for a long time:

It is a South Korean cover version of an old hit of group KINO (CINEMA) of times of the USSR. I wrote it the front of exchanges of group Victor Tsoi, by the way the ethnic Korean who was born in the USSR.
The group KINO (CINEMA) prepared for a contact to the western music lovers therefore it translated the text songs into English, but to their plans it wasn't fated to come true because Victor Tsoi
I broke in road accident near Riga, to sleep driving.
Afterwards fans imposed bad original audio (the text on english separately: www.megalyrics.ru/lyric/kino/blood-type-gruppa-krovi-na-anghliiskom-vtsoi.htm

) on video from Chechnya:

The Korean cover version is made by Koreans probably in 2000, and speak is very popular in both Koreas.

The song is very popular in all territory of the former Soviet Union, including at military in combat zones, therefore it has set of cover versions in Russian, purely symphonic last however:

About directly problem... I will perhaps write it seems later because the problem is more global what and how to formulate it I will try to mention policy not strongly... I should think strongly especially as it is global geopolitics.

B.R.

Serge

Troy Smith    2,364
15 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

It is a South Korean cover version of an old hit of group KINO (CINEMA) of times of the USSR. I wrote it the front of exchanges of group Victor Tsoi, by the way the ethnic Korean who was born in the USSR.

very interesting Serge

For anyone else this is going to veer off topic...

For a while I  was collecting "Eastern European punk and underground rock especially from the  communist  era"   so I  have a pretty good  collection of ex-Soviet records, CD's  and  tapes,   I have at least one Kino LP,   "Chorny albom"  I think,  

I  even have this book  but as I don't speak  Russian.... but I have a few English language books, but my main contact in St.Petersburg was a translator, which helped  and  he'd write out track lists and  other information for me.

3357441.jpg

this  blog

http://smssend-rock.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/100_7044.html

has links to mp3's off all 100 tapes listed.   auto translate will get more info.    I have maybe  40 listed on vinyl and CD, a few on cassette.

I don't know anyone else in the UK who even know about ex Soviet rock,  and I've not played my records in a while,  though I  recently found a load of fascinatating Glasnost  era footage of a 1987 rock festival with Oblachai Krai,  JMKE  and  more up  on youtube, plus film of Svine of  Automatic Satisfiers...."Автоматические удовлетворители" 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avtomaticheskie_udovletvoriteli

Avtomaticheskie udovletvoriteli, was a sort of underground club for dozens of local musicians, including Kino's late frontman, Viktor Tsoi, 

Serge, I'll check the links above later,

cheers

T

593jones    382
23 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I've just cancelled my two weeks beach holiday to Guam.

John.

That's a shame, I reckon you'd have had the beach pretty much all to yourself, and no trouble finding a sun lounger!

Aardvark    147

Guys, everything has to be normal, because shamans of Peru carried out a ceremony of conciliation of Trump and Kim Jong-un: :):):)

It would be ridiculous if the situation wasn't so serious.

:(

About a situation in general, rather quite good analytics of a situation in Russian just appeared:

http://colonelcassad.livejournal.com/3602939.html

I can banish it through the Russian-English online translator and its copypaste here, but it several politician.

In general the situation in my opinion slowly but truly goes to the Caribbean Crisis.
Its additional danger that if the situation will be resolved in the military way, and North Korea will cause insignificant damage, hawks can have a temptation to repeat the same concerning Russia and China, and it is already Russian tape measure in pure form!

Only in this Russian tape measure from six cartridges, not five cartridges but only one will be not in a drum! :(:(:(

B.R.

Serge

Vince1159    1,691

All of a sudden NK threatens Guam with firing missiles to within 18 miles and China's claiming soverengnty to islands in the pacific...

Panzer Vor!!!    3,422

We will stand by the USA in this according to the Defence  secretary

Posted (edited)

I think Kim erm Jun [whatever his name ] is just rattled since that barber in London had a pic of him in his window with a notice saying "we don't do haircuts like this". Apparently he sent a couple of heavies to get it taken down but the barber halted that little operation.

If true very funny.

What isn't funny is that he is a nutter...plain and simple and we have been there before with mixed results so maybe the outcome is a foregone conclusion.

Edited by Head in the clouds.

Max Headroom    5,716

The problem seems to be that all available resources are devoted to the military and to justify this, it is necessary to have an enemy - basically anyone except China.-

i dont think the the leadership has much wiggle room to throttle back.

Trevor

bentwaters81tfw    6,375

I like China's stance. If USA starts it, they will assist Fat Boy.

If Fat Boy starts it, China will stand by and let USA finish it. :boom:

IanHx    1,151
58 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I like China's stance. If USA starts it, they will assist Fat Boy.

If Fat Boy starts it, China will stand by and let USA finish it. :boom:

No, China are bricking it coz they're worried that the US Tridents may have the same guidance as the Royal Navy ones !!!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/trident-test-flop-cover-up-9670746

Gorby    1,072

Are the Chinese going to sit there all cool calm and collected whist a swarm of ICBMs head their way? Or will they push the 'retaliate' button?

:boom:

Dave Batt    302
10 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Are the Chinese going to sit there all cool calm and collected whist a swarm of ICBMs head their way? Or will they push the 'retaliate' button?

:boom:

Swarm?  Surely a single missile (admittedly MIRV equipped) would make the point to NK are the rest of the world, while we all know such would not reduce China's ability to retaliate effectively on the MAD principle if a single warhead went astray.

Gorby    1,072
10 minutes ago, Dave Batt said:

Swarm?  Surely a single missile (admittedly MIRV equipped) would make the point to NK are the rest of the world, while we all know such would not reduce China's ability to retaliate effectively on the MAD principle if a single warhead went astray.

Who knows what Trump will do? The American's may feel the need to take-out a number of targets in one hit. If they send just one, do they target the leader, leaving the missile bases and research areas untouched, or do they target the missiles and leave the nut job alive and rather annoyed?

The Americans seem to like the 'shock and awe' tactic, and I have difficulty seeing Trump being subtle.

Bullbasket    1,665

I wouldn't worry about Trump and N.Korea. Like Toad in Wind in the Willows, he'll lose interest soon and move onto to something new. He's already talking about taking military action in Venezuela.

John.

Dave Batt    302
2 hours ago, Gorby said:

Who knows what Trump will do? The American's may feel the need to take-out a number of targets in one hit. If they send just one, do they target the leader, leaving the missile bases and research areas untouched, or do they target the missiles and leave the nut job alive and rather annoyed?

The Americans seem to like the 'shock and awe' tactic, and I have difficulty seeing Trump being subtle.

Lacking in subtle, agreed, but finesse I'm not so sure.  Someone else has already commented on how the whole population seems to be suffering from Stockholm Syndrome but even so they might notice how the nasty 'rest of the world' could attack the population but doesn't, instead they strike only the research and missile bases which, God willing, produce the minimal collateral damage.

Trump does have a very definite image that he maintains, I just hope there's more to the man than that image.

Aardvark    147

About the life of North Korea.
Generally many of us know about life in Northern Korea on fotosets of tourists
visited there.

Known, as the Russian designer Artemy Lebedev especially as the description is available in English:
(by the way, look perhaps it was also in your city or the country,

http://www.tema.ru/eng/travel/

it is always interesting to see the city and the country foreigner's eyes!)

http://www.tema.ru/eng/travel/north-korea-1/

http://www.tema.ru/eng/travel/north-korea-2/

http://www.tema.ru/eng/travel/north-korea-3/

http://www.tema.ru/eng/travel/north-korea-4/

and not know people tourists(the text in Russian):

http://sergeydolya.livejournal.com/18537.html

http://sergeydolya.livejournal.com/20596.html

But all this tourist's impressions!
There is rather interesting LiveJournal (in Russian) the person who studied
at the university of North Korea:

http://ashen-rus.livejournal.com

in this LiveJournal you see:

- North Korea toy:

http://ashen-rus.livejournal.com/13764.html

- North Korea cash card:

http://ashen-rus.livejournal.com/12514.html

- North Korea PDA:

http://ashen-rus.livejournal.com/10293.html

....and other.

On these notes which the author finished in 2011, when he ended Is Northern Korean university, it is impossible to tell that this country is in stone centuries.

B.R.

Serge

stevehnz    2,731

I was somewhat heartened last night our time to hear that China has urged restraint on both NK & USA. China has too much to loose if things hot up, as has been said here previously, but this is the first time to my knowledge she has interceded so must be getting worried.

Steve.