Tamiya 1/35 Jagdpanzer IV /70(V) Lang

fMV8NX2.jpg

CCEJkyY.jpg

Wn5oP3c.jpgZAYBapc.jpg

The Tamiya kit was nice, but I feel like the price would have warranted a metal barrel, rather than Tamiya providing it as an extra. Sharp marketing practise aside, the kit fit well, was easy to build, and the barrel provided is fine. 

• Like 32

8 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

A magnificent work with an oldie, I love the colors, just the tone I like, I have to do one of these someday.

Cheers mate :goodjob:

Oldie?! This is in fact, their very expensive recent kit, rather than the old 1970s version.

2 hours ago, Sairou said:

Oldie?! This is in fact, their very expensive recent kit, rather than the old 1970s version.

Sorry if I bothered you, it was not my intention, it has only been a minor confusion without any encouragement from controversy. Regards

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Sorry if I bothered you, it was not my intention, it has only been a minor confusion without any encouragement from controversy. Regards

Haha, sorry if my reply seemed genuinely incredulous, it was supposed to be jokingly so! No hard feelings in the slightest

• Thanks 1

Nicely finished effort on a great kit Sairou. The Vomag version is one of those subjects with aesthetic appeal in buckets. 

Not so much in agreement with your criticism of the price though reference the lack of a metal barrel as an inclusion. The new tool (2014) release Tamiya kit is about the same street retail price as Dragon's (2009) current tooling 'down under', with pros and cons to both depending upon personal preference. e.g. supplied track types, build parts count, crew figurines included or not.

As prices rise pretty steeply across the board generally notably within the space of a few short years, personally I applaud Tamiya's marketing strategy for their new toolings in trying to contain them making proprietary super detailed accessories available at a premium for those who desire them without inflating the price of the base kit which is already feature and detail packed. I could be cynical about segment marketing, but I think it's a bit of both trying to contain rising costs to capture an already demanding modelling demographic in the competitive marketplace it is today whilst exploiting the premium end of the market modeller who must have it all just as, cleverly,  Eduard do in the aircraft genre. 

If you could remind me, as I can't be bothered loading a You Tube box reveal or build review to crosscheck. Presumably Tamiya's current generation JagdPz kit comes with a slide moulded barrel as Dragon's (6397) does? Without seeing down the muzzle, it certainly looks the business in your images to me. I can't really see the point any more of buying an aftermarket metal main gun barrel unless there is a length or detail discrepency of a supplied slide moulded one. I do replace with metal where necessary or advantageous (e.g. Trumpeter's KV-II or Academy's Hetzer where the latter's PE aftermarket kit came with a turned barrel supplied for relative pennies extra) but not where it's aesthetically immaterial e.g. Dragon's stunning Type 95 Ha-Go (6767) or even their (2008) newest tool based current Brummbaer lineup.

Cheers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bigglesof266 said:

Nicely finished effort on a great kit Sairou. The Vomag version is one of those subjects with aesthetic appeal in buckets. 

Not so much in agreement with your criticism of the price though reference the lack of a metal barrel as an inclusion. The new tool (2014) release Tamiya kit is about the same street retail price as Dragon's (2009) current tooling 'down under', with pros and cons to both depending upon personal preference. e.g. supplied track types, build parts count, crew figurines included or not.

As prices rise pretty steeply across the board generally notably within the space of a few short years, personally I applaud Tamiya's marketing strategy for their new toolings in trying to contain them making proprietary super detailed accessories available at a premium for those who desire them without inflating the price of the base kit which is already feature and detail packed. I could be cynical about segment marketing, but I think it's a bit of both trying to contain rising costs to capture an already demanding modelling demographic in the competitive marketplace it is today whilst exploiting the premium end of the market modeller who must have it all just as, cleverly,  Eduard do in the aircraft genre. 

If you could remind me, as I can't be bothered loading a You Tube box reveal or build review to crosscheck. Presumably Tamiya's current generation JagdPz kit comes with a slide moulded barrel as Dragon's (6397) does? Without seeing down the muzzle, it certainly looks the business in your images to me. I can't really see the point any more of buying an aftermarket metal main gun barrel unless there is a length or detail discrepency of a supplied slide moulded one. I do replace with metal where necessary or advantageous (e.g. Trumpeter's KV-II or Academy's Hetzer where the latter's PE aftermarket kit came with a turned barrel supplied for relative pennies extra) but not where it's aesthetically immaterial e.g. Dragon's stunning Type 95 Ha-Go (6767) or even their (2008) newest tool based current Brummbaer lineup.

Cheers.

IIRC, the barrel is not slide-moulded- it has a piece you attach on the end. And while i agree with you somewhat on the issue of pricing, I also took issue with having to buy the gun breech separately too (It comes with the barrel set). I cannot display my model with the hatches open, unless i want to pay the extra money, which while not being a dealbreaker- I still recommend this kit- was a little annoying.

8 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

Very nice, I like the finish, especially the rust streaks.  How did you give the paint such a faded appearance?

Well, it was simply an overspray of buff, or a similar colour, if i have remembered correctly. I believe i may have also used a filter. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks really good Sairou.  The weathering is first rate and the rust streaks blend it all together very nicely.  Is that a helmet sitting atop the rubber tired spare wheels?

That L70 is a big gun for a small chassis and heavy, so I see Tamiya did provide the steel wheels for the front two axles which was correct I believe.  Same gun as on the Panther and

apparently punched through armour even better than the 88 on the Tiger I.

There must not have been a lot of room in there and it surprises me there's no muzzle brake so the recoil cylinders must be big which means even less room.  No hot tub or bar for sure but must

have been really toasty, noisy and probably stinky with not very much ventilation. 

Lloyd

15 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Looks really good Sairou.  The weathering is first rate and the rust streaks blend it all together very nicely.  Is that a helmet sitting atop the rubber tired spare wheels?

That L70 is a big gun for a small chassis and heavy, so I see Tamiya did provide the steel wheels for the front two axles which was correct I believe.  Same gun as on the Panther and

apparently punched through armour even better than the 88 on the Tiger I.

There must not have been a lot of room in there and it surprises me there's no muzzle brake so the recoil cylinders must be big which means even less room.  No hot tub or bar for sure but must

have been really toasty, noisy and probably stinky with not very much ventilation. 

Lloyd

Yup, it's a little german helmet added as a point of interest. However, one of the spare wheels is steel, as you also mentioned. 

I will admit, I did not research the Jagdpanzer that much- It was more of an impulse buy in Hobbycraft to cheer me up. I do like the look of it, though, it looks mean.

• 5 years later...