Bronco 1:48 Staghound Mk 1 Armoured Car ***Finished 27/12/20***

SimonL

My next armour project arrived in the mail today. 

36423011085_2d1c303a09_b.jpg

Tamiya 1:48 quick build this ain't!

36286342131_ec4aa5f877_b.jpg

36026352700_494a44dd36_b.jpg

36286342181_dd8eac78b8_b.jpg

36254688422_d3dfc67d66_b.jpg

36423011635_e2dcde2069_b.jpg

36377846846_fe63315efc_b.jpg

Looking forward to getting started, this will take longer I think than some of the recent kits I have built. Anyone know what the British markings are? 

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 7

Simon, not sure if this helps with the markings question, but:

www.fireandfury.com/britinfo/divmarkings.pdf

Following with interest, of course! :)

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

.....................so, it won't be finished by the weekend then?:nah:

John.

No, not likely a all 😆

11 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Simon, not sure if this helps with the markings question, but:

www.fireandfury.com/britinfo/divmarkings.pdf

Following with interest, of course! :)

Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

I built the version with the crusader turret a couple of years ago and didn't enjoy the experience as much as any of the Tamiya and Italeri 1/48th armour I've built. That said, if you take your time and are prepared to put 11 small parts together to make what would be one part on a Tamiya kit then the finished result is well worth it. I'm looking forward to your build

• Like 2

@clive_t A quick look through that link you sent me, and it would appear the British markings are of a vehicle from HQ Squadron of an Armoured Car Regt in XII Corps.  From this link here http://www.warwheels.net/BritACsInEurope44_45BROWN.html it would appear that it would be likely to be the Royal Dragoons. Thank you!

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

I built the version with the crusader turret a couple of years ago and didn't enjoy the experience as much as any of the Tamiya and Italeri 1/48th armour I've built. That said, if you take your time and are prepared to put 11 small parts together to make what would be one part on a Tamiya kit then the finished result is well worth it. I'm looking forward to your build

Thanks for the advance warning. I will be taking this nice and slowly! (Honest @Bullbasket and @PlaStix :P)

• Like 3

While waiting for paint to dry on some of the detail parts left to put on my Tilly, I started cutting and glueing. The plastic is hard, with crisp detail, and also very thin. Tamiya thin cement works very well with it. These first few parts fit very well together as well. Can't help but think that Tamiya may have molded this as a single piece though......

36066507880_139d521385_b.jpg

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 6

Wow! I'm here four days after you have started the thread Simon and you haven't almost finished! ;)

I haven't got any Bronco kits so I will be interested to follow your progress. They always look well produced and detailed. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Oh my, now I know what you were getting at @Silver Fox

Started on step 2. Why oh why did they make this so complicated? I employed the cocktail stick with blu-tak trick again.

36344583581_7c3f1fcbdf_b.jpg

36084964380_f672debddb_b.jpg

36313512102_7a91275c6f_b.jpg

it didn't take too long, but oh so fiddly. I'll do the other side tomorrow.

• Like 9

And it continues. More glueing of teeny-tiny pieces. This is going to take awhile. Still, it all fits well so far.

36347540622_1209d6983f_b.jpg

36119254980_97131e6a2d_b.jpg

There is 10 separate parts here that needed to be put together.

36119258010_15516ec841_b.jpg

But it does all fit well on the main frame of the vehicle.

35706984953_73dc8743fd_b.jpg

• Like 4

On 13/08/2017 at 6:17 PM, Ozzy said:

Nice start Simon, the suspension looks fantastic.

Thanks, I THINK it was worth the hassle :-)

17 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Certainly is coming along nicely. Interesting to see how it looks with the rockets fitted.

Thanks. Actually not intending to add the rockets as I want to do the British vehicle.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

After a long hiatus (3 years and counting), I dug this one from the shelf of doom. Here was where I had got to:

50725162206_21e8aa1d0d_b.jpg

A morning of going cross eyed chasing tiny pieces, seemingly designed to go pinging away when picked up with tweezers, I got to here:

50725162216_fbfa8d8498_b.jpg

After a struggle with some of the photoetch, on went the first coat of Italeri Acryl Olive Drab with a brush:

50725581661_c8291ab553_b.jpg

Beginning to like what I see.

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 8

Going well Simon.

Made one of these a few years ago. Have to agree...fiddly to say the least. I was also surprised by the size of it. Very chunky.

Dick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edjbartos said:

What a really nice clean build, looks great, looking forward to seeing some more...

Ed

Thanks!

2 hours ago, jenko said:

Going well Simon.

Made one of these a few years ago. Have to agree...fiddly to say the least. I was also surprised by the size of it. Very chunky.

Dick

very! There are a few bits missing on mine... and use very chunky, looks very big next to my Tamiya 1:48 Crusader Mk III. 

13 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Ooff.... It's looking good, but I'd have never got past that first tiny bit.... ;)

I almost didn’t 😜

• Like 1

More painting today, painted the tires with Tamiya XF-85 rubber black and the straps on the fuel tanks XF-51 khaki drab for a little variation. I made a start on the various tools to add to the hull.

50729230117_aa4c661c8a_b.jpg

Can’t believe it’s actually beginning to look like I may finish this!

• Like 7

Decals on and tools added. Had a few troubles with the floor polish gloss coat - it just wouldn’t give a glossy surface. Managed it in the end. Just some little paint touch ups and tomorrow it’s on to weathering.

50732555932_c164b0fe5f_b.jpg

(And yes that’s an Airfix Bedford QLD in the background also on the final stretch).

• Like 6

Well got a little distracted by another kit, but picked away at this over the last few days. Gave it a dirty oil wash to make it a little grubby, the the last fragile bits to be glued on - not sure how many times I knocked some of these off. Almost finished.

50746646242_91c53cd886_b.jpg

• Like 11

And I’m calling this done. A brushed on coat of Italeri Acryl Flat Clear, some additional washes of various Italeri acrylic to make it look a little dusty. Some light dry brushing with Tamiya XF-20 Medium Grey on the tyres and various details. Rather than the clear parts I used some Humbrol Clearfix for the lenses of the headlights and the searchlight on the turret.

50764984541_80df52dac1_b.jpg

Looks pretty hefty next to the Tamiya 1:48 Crusader and Humber Armoured Car that I made a few years ago (about the time I started this!). 

50764984561_1b028bebca_b.jpg

More photos in RFI shortly. Thanks for following 😁

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 6