1/24 Extreme Turbine Combat Racer

In the process of moving the mountain of pics I have across from photobucket I came across this old build that I thought I'd shared on here but apparently not so here it is.

Its a kitbash using various bits and bobs I did a few years ago when I was replaying some old jet racer classics like wipeout and f-zero, and took a bit of inspiration to build my own using the body of an old porsche I had in the stash. The cockpit is a bit hard to see inside so I included some wip pics of the interior.

35613621963_5f01cbe5d0_c.jpgIMG_0030 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

36421413445_62fc58b00c_c.jpgIMG_0031 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

36421412325_cafd0dcd21_c.jpgIMG_0032 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

35585966494_7ca1f54ef3_c.jpgIMG_0033 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

35613618273_459d20be13_c.jpgIMG_0034 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

35585964114_e04ccb72ae_c.jpgIMG_0035 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

36024608970_75da5f3939_c.jpgIMG_0040 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

35585962024_a2cd02272b_c.jpgIMG_0042 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

36024607150_a4ce2d2295_c.jpgIMG_0043 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

36284642811_bcc38f7445_c.jpgIMG_0044 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

36421401025_6333a47d99_c.jpgIMG_0047 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

36024604430_2191db2b43_c.jpginterior2 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

36421415185_1099c86801_c.jpginterior by Nick Frost, on Flickr

There was a wip topic but as all my photos have been zapped theres no point sharing a link, however I will eventually be getting wip pics in my flickr feed (link in sig) but just soooooo many photos to deal with!

As always comments and questions are welcome, thanks for looking :)

• Like 24

I'm not normally into SF or car models, but I like imaginative and well built models and this one definitely fits the bill. Excellent modelling and painting!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gorby said:

I'm not normally into SF or car models, but I like imaginative and well built models and this one definitely fits the bill. Excellent modelling and painting!

Cheers Gorby!

20 hours ago, whitestar12chris said:

A cracking example of a kit bash Hunter, love the Wipeout games. great job.

All the best Chris

Thanks Chris, yeah I still fire up my old PS1 and play the original now and then!

13 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

Great kitbash Hunter. Nice to see those oh-so-useful pod racer engines. That kit should be reissued, just so we can use it for spares.

Andy

Thanks Andy! Yeah such a great part, they should even consider doing the engines alone as a part for sale

13 hours ago, Mike said:

That is bonkers!  The pilot looks a bit Moebius-esque in those colours :)

Cheers Mike, I was watching a lot of Evangelion at the time and fancied some vibrant colours! :)

wow - very imaginative kit bashing there - although I'm sure it took you a lot of carefully planned work and time / effort to put together, this kind of design really does demonstrate how uncomplicated a whatif can be when you have a combination of bits that can be made to merge and compliment one another into something as magically futuristic as this wonder

having tried to prize the various kit parts apart, I'm guessing this carries quite a high shelf price tag when broken down into all the individual whole original kits you have used

very nice

• Like 1

On 11/08/2017 at 5:29 PM, Gimme Shelter said:

wow - very imaginative kit bashing there - although I'm sure it took you a lot of carefully planned work and time / effort to put together, this kind of design really does demonstrate how uncomplicated a whatif can be when you have a combination of bits that can be made to merge and compliment one another into something as magically futuristic as this wonder

having tried to prize the various kit parts apart, I'm guessing this carries quite a high shelf price tag when broken down into all the individual whole original kits you have used

very nice

Cheers GS! Yeah cost wise the individual models used weren't expensive but it soon adds up when you start using various bits from here and there, obviously most of this was from my stash though,  i think the only kit i bought was the porsche.

The major stroke of luck which helped make this build possible, was that the engine halves from a pegasus models apollo 27 rocket kit lined up EXACTLY with the front wings of the porsche. Once i had that main front structure it all went from there.

On 11/08/2017 at 7:18 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Love that.

Is there a dashboard sticker?

'Caution, stop engine before exit!'

Thanks Pete!

Yeah just above the one that says "...and make sure you've landed!" :lol:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
20 hours ago, Ian Davies said:

This is really lovely. While there's always some fun in trying to spot the origins of various pieces of a kit bash, this also looks completely authentic and coherent.

Very nicely done.

Thanks for the big compliment Ian! 👍

And if your interested, I forgot to make a mention of the main donor kits I used, obviously the main ones were the porsche and a 1/32 pod racer (theres no mistaking those engines!! The kit bashers standard)

Two very hidden and not obvious parts are on the sides; I got really lucky when making the rounded front sides of the racer, I had a moebius apollo 27 kit and the halves of the engine pods were exactly the right height to be blended in very naturally.

Theres also a fair bit of GW T'au stuff on there from a Piranha kit I had (the drone part I used as a shield generator being the most obvious.)

Although I used a lot of the mechanical bits of the porsche kit, a fair chunk of the detailing bits came from the 1/24 italieri truck accessories 2 kit (some GREAT bits and bobs for bashing in there!) and I'm pretty sure thats where a lot of the waterslide decals came from, and just others I had in the stash.

Only other kit worthy of note is the revell jedi fighter, thats where I got the side fins from.

Only a small part of it but the bits I was most pleased with overall were the missiles, I made them from styrene rod by putting a drill into a vice to hold it steady, then loaded some rod into the chuck and after putting the drill on auto used a sanding stick to gently shape it to a nice missile profile and I was pretty chuffed with my improvised lathe technique!

• Like 1