Me262 Jumo Engine 1/48

GazB

So I've recently picked up a HobbyBoss Me262 and I've been pondering about the addition of a revealed resin engine. On the one hand I would love to have one shown, but it seems like most of the kits either carry more than I would like, or omit certain pieces that would be a bit crucial.

For example, this particular set (https://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-planes-engine-details-aires-air-4140) seems ideal, as its just the engine and I could remove the cowling components as necessary to reveal it. My issue, however is that when I see pictures of the cowlings removed, there's usually this perforated, half-moon plate capping the end of the cowling mount on the wing's leading edge, which does not appear to be a part of this kit as far as I can tell.

Another alternative was a CMK engine set (https://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-planes-engine-details-cmk-cmk-4115) that comes with the mounting plate, but this would require more surgery to the wing and also lead me to stave off major progression, namely the painting and other aspects of the aircraft itself.

My question really is, does anyone have experience with these particular sets and/or can they recommend how I could attach (particularly the former) to the aircraft? 

If there's no clear solution I may just aim to get one to display next to the plane, in which case does anyone know what they carried these engines on, or how they transported them?

Cheers in advance.

Gaz

As with the case of all aftermarket stuff "Some modelling skills required".

Cutting of original kit parts, thinning the plastic on parts to make things fit and scratch building.

There is also the Quickboost engine for the Tamiya kit that should be able to be made to fit your circumstance.

This looks to be a much easier option as it is just one piece.

The perforated, half-moon shaped piece of framework in the engine bay shouldn't take too much work to make from a piece of plastic sheet (Evergreen is one company that make plastic sheets, strips & rod in all sorts of thickness's). Some pics of actual aircraft have it others don't including some models with engines on show. May have been removable? see point 2 below.

As far as connecting the engine to the wing, using brass rod disguised as pipework that would inevitably lead into the wing is one thought.

1.Make sure you have plenty of references to work out exactly what your plan of attack is.

2.Don't be afraid to go with what you want or to go with what your skills allow you to do.

There are plenty of examples of out of this world builds with every panel open and all internals on show and you wonder how they did that. They too started at level one and learnt as they went along with each build gaining more skills and techniques.

Don't get hooked up on not having every possible mechanism and pipe added. There's only a few people out there that know exactly, in your case, what an Me 262 engine looks like without consulting references. If something's not there, or 100% accurate, who'll know?

3.Test fit, test fit, test fit and test fit again. The old adage 'measure twice, cut once' is essential with resin.

4.Enjoy it. That's why we do it right?

Sorry if this sounds condescending,unsure of your skill/knowledge level with resin & aftermarket

All the best

Hope some others can help with those exact sets.

Red Dog

Edited by Red Dog
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Red Dog said:

As with the case of all aftermarket stuff "Some modelling skills required".

Cutting of original kit parts, thinning the plastic on parts to make things fit and scratch building.

There is also the Quickboost engine for the Tamiya kit that should be able to be made to fit your circumstance.

This looks to be a much easier option as it is just one piece.

The perforated, half-moon shaped piece of framework in the engine bay shouldn't take too much work to make from a piece of plastic sheet (Evergreen is one company that make plastic sheets, strips & rod in all sorts of thickness's). Some pics of actual aircraft have it others don't including some models with engines on show. May have been removable? see point 2 below.

As far as connecting the engine to the wing, using brass rod disguised as pipework that would inevitably lead into the wing is one thought.

1.Make sure you have plenty of references to work out exactly what your plan of attack is.

2.Don't be afraid to go with what you want or to go with what your skills allow you to do.

There are plenty of examples of out of this world builds with every panel open and all internals on show and you wonder how they did that. They too started at level one and learnt as they went along with each build gaining more skills and techniques.

Don't get hooked up on not having every possible mechanism and pipe added. There's only a few people out there that know exactly, in your case, what an Me 262 engine looks like without consulting references. If something's not there, or 100% accurate, who'll know?

3.Test fit, test fit, test fit and test fit again. The old adage 'measure twice, cut once' is essential with resin.

4.Enjoy it. That's why we do it right?

Sorry if this sounds condescending,unsure of your skill/knowledge level with resin & aftermarket

All the best

Hope some others can help with those exact sets.

Red Dog

No worries, Red Dog, thanks ^-^

The Quickboost would be my first choice because it was everything in a single piece, but it appears to have been discontinued unfortunately :(

I spotted a build article someone did on a Tamiya Me262, where they fitted the Aires Jumo I linked. They used the stub on the mounting of the top of the wing and drilled holes in it to create the perforated appearance. So that could be one option. Ideally, I like the look of the exposed engine with the intake attached, but that would be fairly simple I imagine. I could basically cut the cowling down, fit it, then slot the engine into it. My only worry is that in cutting it, I could produced ragged edges, or damage the removed sections beyond repair. When I fitted the gun bays to my He162, I had to cut out the doors and it wasn't pretty. The cut line from my razor saw was really thick.

If pushes comes to shove, I could just position the engine near the plane :)

Gaz