1/72 Draken Swedish markings

oggy4u

Hi 

I have a Hasegawa 1/72 Draken  in Austrian marking but I would prefer the Swedish markings with large orange numbers. Does anyone produce Swedish Draken Decals is 1/72 ? I would be very surprised if they were not available .

Thanks 

Oggy 

16 minutes ago, exdraken said:

The Austrian Drakens also wore large orange/ flourescent numbers !

Just in case!

Austrians ex-Swedish Drakens, like their ex-Swiss F-5E's, featured minimal marking changes. 

Cheers,

Andre (Dutch, with an Austrian girlfriend ;)  ) 

42 minutes ago, Hook said:

Austrians ex-Swedish Drakens, like their ex-Swiss F-5E's, featured minimal marking changes. 

Cheers,

Andre (Dutch, with an Austrian girlfriend ;)  ) 

hmmmm

the Swiss F-5s were leased and only Squadron markings were added

The Drakens were bought, "upgraded" and totally repainted in F-16 style colors ans scheme.

In the beginning they did not sport the dayglow numbers at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Decals are available from Rebell Hobby, https://www.rebell.com/dekaler/dekaler-flyg/saab-j35f-j-draken.html This is the only sheet with the orange dayglow numbers - but I know that a new sheet is in progress. However, I don't know when it will be released, so if you are in a hurry, I would recommend this sheet or the RoG release. 

RoG upgraded their decal sheet, the first batch did not have the black outline on the Swedish roundels. This was added later - however the colour is wrong (too dark blue). The numbers "10" are also too large.

The RoG instructions also have mixed the wing numbers, the wing numbers should be "50", as on the fin, not "05" as the sheet says. And "5,0" on the fin is actually correct, this individual carried this (non-official) marking since there had been an older one also carrying "50".

1426_1_rev4352_1.jpg

And exdraken is correct, Austrian Drakens were completely re-painted - and as you can see above the wing numbers used another typeface. Also, Austrian Drakens were converted J 35D, these never carried dayglow numbers, they were only used on the J 35J version (upgraded and re-painted J 35F). J 35J were the only grey Drakens in Swedish service - and was painted grey after the Austrian ones, the first grey Drakens were the Austrian ones. However, Austrian Draken fin numbers had the same typeface as the Swedish ones, but they were somewhat smaller.

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 1

Thanks both fore the corrections! 

Cheers,

Andre 

On 6-8-2017 at 10:01 PM, exdraken said:

hmmmm

the Swiss F-5s were leased and only Squadron markings were added

The Drakens were bought, "upgraded" and totally repainted in F-16 style colors ans scheme.

In the beginning they did not sport the dayglow numbers at all.

6 hours ago, Bjorn said:

And exdraken is correct, Austrian Drakens were completely re-painted - and as you can see above the wing numbers used another typeface.