Special Hobby Hawker Tempest II 1/72nd **FINISHED 15/10/17**

DaveyGair

Since successfully finishing my Bf 109 GB I'll going to try two builds here.

First up is Special Hobby's Tempest II in 1/72nd. (I have the 1/32nd kit but building up the courage to do that beast!).

Will OOB but will be using Xtradecal sheet X72-094 to do PR771/5R-D , No 33 squadron based at Butterworth in 1951.

DSC_0001DSC_0002

Will have to get some rockets from somewhere.

• Like 7

Kicked off with the Tempest.

Started on the cockpit, mix of PUR and PE, looks like it should fit ok into the fuselage, fortunately it can be inserted after the 2 halves are joined ( I think!)

Note, I cut to far into the pouring plug and made a hole in the base of the seat! A bit of filler and shaping needed!

DSC_0005

Test fitted the PUR nose, looks to be a nice fit when the fuselage is actually glued properly.

DSC_0009DSC_0010

Detail of wheel wells looks good, but a big pouring plug to remove!

DSC_0007DSC_0008

Wing halves look to match well but I did a quick test fit to the fuselage and may need a bit of fettling to fit properly.

DSC_0011

• Like 4

Just noticed that I glued the port cockpit wall to the starboard side, Doh! Now rectified.

Been cutting, sanding and scraping to get the wheel well insert to fit, still not there yet!

DSC_0016DSC_0015

DSC_0014

• Like 1

This is a nice subject Davey :thumbsup2: 

It looks like you're doing fine with the resin. 

I've often found that quite a bit of sanding is needed to get the resin wheel wells to fit in early Special Hobby, AZ, MPM etc kits. 

I'm not sure if these rockets and rails would be any use, they also list a set for the Hurricane:

http://www.plusmodel.cz/karta_en.php?id=722

Best regards

TonyT

PS: Would it show if you made a quite wide saw cut in the centre of the resin wheel well piece, to allow the well to form a slight 'v' and allow dihedral?

Thanks for the encouragement lads, I think next step is to shape the bottom of the casting to fit the dihedral of the lower wing. 

Can't take off anymore from the top of the casting as its starting to be nearly see-through! Also worried about breaking through the plastic of the wings as the surface detail is quite good.

Thanks for the suggestion Tony, just found I have two AZ Hurricanes with rockets and rails, so probably raid them!

Davey.

Starting to come together now.

Painted and assembled the cockpit 'tub', sorry for the poor photo's, I have a 'good' camera but still haven't a clue how to use it!!

DSC_0010DSC_0003DSC_0002

Need to shave a bit off the bottom of cockpit to get the wing to fit.

DSC_0009

Wing gone together not too bad.

took a chunk out the plastic above the big intake though!

DSC_0005

Fit not brilliant as far as I can tell, need a bit of filler.

DSC_0006DSC_0007

...... and a bit of trimming around the cockpit to get the fuselage halves together.

DSC_0008

So far, not too bad really for what I think must be an early-ish SH kit. Vac form canopies as well... UGH!!

• Like 5

Airframe is now together, bit of a pigs ear of the main wing join, a bit too much pressure clamping it resulted in the rear underside sinking inside the fuselage a bit!

Bit of a step at the front as well, but I'm just gonna go with it and get the thing finished.

A couple of coats of Ultimate Grey Undercoat revealed a few minor join lines needed a bit of work.

DSC_0013DSC_0012DSC_0011

• Like 5

Got the airframe painted, took Xtradecal's suggestion of Green/Dark Sea Grey with PRU blue undersides, think it looks OK.

Dodgy underside wing joins courtesy of myself. Just rushing a bit to get this finish, I'm away to Rhodes for a week with better half this coming Saturday and want to try to get this in the gallery before we go.

DSC_0002DSC_0003DSC_0004DSC_0005

• Like 3

Well, best laid plans and all that, only got some gloss on the airframe and that's it, so not gonna finish. Leaving for the airport in half an hour!

Max, yeah, I think the camera lies a bit, it looks totally different with the flash as well. I used the green in the Vallejo RAF set which is actually USAF Olive Drab, which I thought a bit strange, but I think actually like as a RAF green. It think it just looks a bit odd with the Dark Sea Grey.  I did a quick side by side spray with the Dark Earth and it looked ok, unfortunately no photo, but I'll be doing the standard green over earth scheme soon enough to tell better.

• 2 weeks later...

Close to finishing this, done the decaling, just gotta wait for them to dry, then add the undercart and prop etc.

Made a mess of the first vacform canopy, luckily they supply 2 in the kit!

Got a set of 60lb rockets by Pavla to add at the end of the build.

DSC_0012DSC_0010DSC_0011DSC_0013

• Like 5

• DaveyGair changed the title to Special Hobby Hawker Tempest II 1/72nd **FINISHED 15/10/17**

After lots of distractions, and some frustrations, finally finished this fine looking radial engine beast!

Finally added 60lb rockets courtesy of Pavla, plus a bit of scrap PE mounting brackets. Some of them didn't take too well, and constantly fell off, so left well alone when they did, so apologies for the odd 'out of true' rocket.

Not a bad kit to build, didn't like the fit of the main wing, or the vacform canopy, any poor joins are purely due to my impatience to get the thing built and complete.

See you in the Gallery.

DSC_0002

• Like 11