Bending PE

Modelholic

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me of a technique to bend the British Mk19 radio set guards? (Bronco kit, supplied PE fret)

I've a bending tool (bug) which is great for 'sharp' folds, but they're radiused top and bottom and I'd like to pick your brains before steaming in and cocking it up.

Thanks All

Tom

can you bend them around small drill bits of the correct diameter Tom?  Or the other way is I have a pair of pliers with circular jaws.  Grip the part in the pliers where the bend is and use a steel ruler or some other straight edge to form the bend

Bruce

Bruce, Foxfour,

If the bend wasn't at the edge of the part I'd manage with something similar to your replies.

However, these bends are along the very edges.

I'm sure I'll find a way. Just hope I don't run out of hair first!

Tom

Bearing in mind that I've not seen the Bronco part in question, only how it should look, I would try holding the edge of the part under a metal rod of the right sort of diameter and bending the part upward. Like using a folding tool if it had a round edge. I know how trying to do this kind of bend freehand is very difficult.

You'll have stretch on the outer edge and contraction on the inner, annealing (heat to dull Red and quench in water ) like Bozothenutter (never thought I'd ever type that !) said, then  Copper based Brass work hardens more or less back to its original strength. The bend isn't going to be easy, got to be done right first time. On real size sheet you'd have a (shape) former to bend it round and/or beat it round with convex faced hammers. I wouldn't have clue with tiny PE and no idea how to hold it . Obviously I don't know the Radius you're bending. Can you clamp it TIGHT (!)between two washers with the radius you need, thick enough not to give under the "strain" ? Slowly does it !

Edited by bzn20

I've managed it!

Used a drill bit (about 1.3mm I think) blu tacked to the bottom edge of the 'bug' then bent with a razor blade as you normally would.

Thank *&** for blu-tak

Tom

• Like 1