Rarely seen model of MH434

Built this last weekend and completed the decalling during the past week.   Never seen a Spitfire model built as this scheme anywhere and its one I always fancied doing since seeing some black/white pics in a very early issue of Aircraft Illustrated back in mid 1960's!

Well known Spitfire IX in civvey colours as acquired from COGEA of Belgium and ex OO-ARA. I opted to complete it with full span wings. 

For your pleasures here is the result:

IMG_2006_zpso2nztx2d.jpg

IMG_2007_zpsbzbzmel7.jpg

IMG_2008_zpsudgd4nog.jpg

IMG_2009_zpsn9rtl5rk.jpg

IMG_2010_zpsxfkhr98c.jpg

IMG_2012_zpspfpzixwu.jpg

IMG_2013_zpsez6ahab6.jpg

IMG_2014_zpsgw0mk1ke.jpg

IMG_2015_zpsmhnaiz4t.jpg

And here is the model with the box it came out of.

Incidentally, the fuselage cheatline decal fitted perfectly coming in 3 segments. One issue is the out of register vertical blue in the Civil Aviation Ensign. I will correct this with an overlay of white stripe and then a blue on top of that. And the blue for the spinner was a mix of Humbrol No. 14 French blue with No.15 Midnight blue.

• Like 38

Excellent work :penguin:Ive considered doing this myself. As well as civil P-51's and i saw an old F4f wildcat from the late 1950's or early 60's in a very sad Brown/orange paint. Someone had actually placed a passenger seat in the lower rear fuselage. Photo's show the plane had an additional door w/window on the starboard side. And two small rectangular windows on the port side. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

...I saw an old F4f wildcat from the late 1950's or early 60's in a very sad Brown/orange paint. Someone had actually placed a passenger seat in the lower rear fuselage. Photo's show the plane had an additional door w/window on the starboard side. And two small rectangular windows on the port side. 

FM-2, actually- I've been in that passenger compartment (3 seats, I think), and the cockpit!  (Not in the air, though.)  It belonged to Dick Foote for years, and came to the local airport's tech school for maintenance.  It was in proper dark blue when I knew it, though.

Lovely job on the Spitfire, but I had a chuckle- I was scrolling down, admiring the photos, wondering how you managed the markings, then I got to the last photo!

bob

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ginger ... i stand corrected i had only seen two outside photo's of the wildcat. One each from port and starboard rear angles taken from approximately 100 feet. I was guesstimating the interior as to the outside size of the aircraft. I didnt think it was possible to get that many seats in the back. But again i stand corrected and thank you for your personal input. As im still considering a build of the plane someday. At least i know i can paint it in blue not a sickly orange/brown. 

Dennis

Hello Paul - really like that. I finished a painting of this one a while ago flying with another civvy finished Spit - G-ALGT. I was going to attach it here but then realised that it's not on Photobucket and then it all gets too difficult!

Hope to get to a club meeting sometime soon. All the best

Chris

Very nice Spitfire. Big decals like that scare me!

On 8/5/2017 at 9:17 PM, Paul J said:

Built this last weekend and completed the decalling during the past week. Never seen a Spitfire model built as this scheme anywhere and its one I always fancied doing since seeing some black/white pics in a very early issue of Aircraft Illustrated back in mid 1960's!

You didn't Google it then?!

Edited by Tbolt

3 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Very nice Spitfire. Big decals like that scare me!

You didn't Google it then?!

Googled for pics of it but a built model!!! Very few pics on line of SJV in this guise but did find a few.  Found my magazine dated September 1968 with a three page photo article of 'SJV which show top views.

Found that it still had the narrow cannon blisters, a really smaller one plus the one over the wheel bay. Infact the AZ kit instructions  are wrong in pointing out no blisters; also their decals are not 100 %. Especially the way the markings go over the top of the cowling, the missing black walkways ( that I knew were there without resorting to those pics.. relied on memory_). And the position of the upper wing reggie which should be directly behind the main spar line.  I/m not gouing to worry about it now Finding the kit again jsu for the markings is not worth it unless someone here has them to spare,...hint hint....

But... many thanks for all your comments and Chris, Look forward to having a chat agian at the club..Cheers.

1 minute ago, Paul J said:

Googled for pics of it but a built model!!! Very few pics on line of SJV in this guise but did find a few.  Found my magazine dated September 1968 with a three page photo article of 'SJV which show top views.

Found that it still had the narrow cannon blisters, a really smaller one plus the one over the wheel bay. Infact the AZ kit instructions  are wrong in pointing out no blisters; also their decals are not 100 %. Especially the way the markings go over the top of the cowling, the missing black walkways ( that I knew were there without resorting to those pics.. relied on memory_). And the position of the upper wing reggie which should be directly behind the main spar line.  I/m not gouing to worry about it now Finding the kit again jsu for the markings is not worth it unless someone here has them to spare,...hint hint....

But... many thanks for all your comments and Chris, Look forward to having a chat agian at the club..Cheers.

Models were what I was talking about, you said you had never seen it modeled before - there was an ICM kit done in 2014 here on BM. When I'm building a model I Google it to see how others have interpreted photos etc.

6 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Models were what I was talking about, you said you had never seen it modeled before - there was an ICM kit done in 2014 here on BM. When I'm building a model I Google it to see how others have interpreted photos etc.

I didn't know  there was one here'.:mellow: The only model related images I found when googling was the RAM Models images of their 1/32nd decals. I nowadays generally plan on those that have a significance to me now.;)