I will be entering the group build with this civil version of the Ju 52/3M.  It is the Italeri kit, which I understand originated with a

military version in 1977, with a civil version first coming along in 1995.  My boxing is an updated one from 2013.

0fcc4e08-e21e-4a9a-9c7b-a3ef7f97be7e.jpg

However, ever since there was a build of this on Britmodeller in 2013, I have been looking for the decals, and found them in the

past couple of months.  They are from Karaya, and depict a Swiss post plane, used to market a certain brand of Swiss chocolate.

3ea490a7-8e76-4901-bf5f-f03cf1c97ec2.jpg

Hence the title of my thread!

We have a bank holiday here this weekend, so I hope to make some progress.

Philip

• Like 2

Great to see another being built. I would love to redo the decals on mine. I think I could get them to conform a lot better nowadays. I also found the Eduard mask set to be invaluable. Watching with interest. 

Edited by snapper_city

1 minute ago, Prenton said:

Thanks Mark - it was your build that inspired me!

Philip

Even now it still draws lots off attention when I take it to shows. It's a simple build but give me a shout if you need any info. There are reference shots on airliners.net.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, snapper_city said:

Even now it still draws lots off attention when I take it to shows. It's a simple build but give me a shout if you need any info. There are reference shots on airliners.net.

Appreciate that offer, Mark. If I get into difficulties, expect a PM.  

Deffo I will order the Eduard masks - well worth it.  (I used them for the 1/144th Ju 52 military version - Eduard's own kit - and they really made a difference.   Got a gold for it in winter camo at the IPMS Ireland Nationals a couple of years back).

If I can do this Milka one as well as yours, I will be well pleased.  I already have the Vallejo violet 811 paint (two bottles)

Philip

• Like 1

The weekend has allowed me to make a start with this kit.

As normal, all of the sprues were washed and allowed to air dry.  These are the sprues:-

The fuselage pieces

c1f6aa11-53cb-4d13-8cd7-24c3691bec4f.jpg

The wing pieces

35562a90-7f60-498d-ae33-82676f17f479.jpg

The other sprues

4836c411-6af4-4d73-bfb6-f11645741c12.jpg

8b2e607c-5b42-4e6c-aa93-2d071c9da9a9.jpg

4836c411-6af4-4d73-bfb6-f11645741c12.jpg

01158962-944a-438f-a020-3eba248bd9e4.jpg

and the transparencies

4812c583-e383-4bfe-8fb4-a86754a56f0c.jpg

Given the age of the kit, the pieces are quite crisp, and there is little or any flash to be seen.  Quite a few of the smaller items will go

to the spares box, as they are intended for the military versions.

I had a look, as advised, at details of the actual aircraft, while in Milka livery, and found a youtube clip, which gives a couple of interior

shots.  So I have gone with what I can see there, which is a light grey colour.  By contrast, I have opted to use a dark brown leather colour

for the seats.   

2af40a4a-62ad-43ce-b247-a7a286239fd8.jpg

You will see that I have only put in a couple of seats, in locations where they may be visible through the canopy, and the side door

(which I may leave open....).  There is no point in doing all the rest of the seats, and anyhow, I want to keep them to use in a Ju 86

airliner that I have planned for a future build.

I have opted not to use the kit supplied pilots' seats, as these are rather bare, and have gone for a set for the Ju 52 made by Quickboost,

which have seatbelts moulded in (and rather nice cushions).   The frames are in white aluminium, which seems appropriate, given the age

of the actual aircraft.

While all that was drying, I made up the radial engines and gave them a "black base" undercoat, ready for some drybrushing and washes.  

I also drilled out the exhausts (which are not visible now, but hopefully will be when the model is finished).

I also made up the wings, having fitted the undersurface transparency for the light, backed by chrome paint on the inner side of the top

wing, which may (or may not) be visible.....  The wing fitting needed a bit of fettling to get the corrugations to line up, and as a result, the

nacelles may need some sanding.  However, they are the only pieces where there are no corrugations, so that was a no brainer.

162f7902-a43d-4cdc-9759-4ae7fe0d224c.jpg

More in a couple of days.  Thanks for looking,

Philip

• Like 1

A very nice start Philip - the seats look particularly convincing.

Re. the Ju.86, is that the same one that made a brief appearance in an Airliner GB of old?

Cliff

• 1 month later...

Just so you don't think that I have forgotten....

Lots of progress with this one, but I haven't many photos - will see what I have and put them up over the next couple of days.

I have the plane built, with some of the ailerons/flaps on, and undercoated in a purple shade (not quite, but close to, the final shade.  That should save paint when finishing, as I could only source two of the Vallejo paint pots, and Ju 52's use up a LOT of paint.....)

Philip

• Like 1