1/48 Sea Hurricane

After a canopy disaster and awaiting a vac replacement I got home yesterday and managed to get it fitted this morning. Forward part used from the kit and still looks a little messy in places. Also looks like the framing is missing paint but it's actually silver chipping and the light doing that. And I lost my grab handles, that's why they're missing. I know the kit has it's inaccuracies and the hub has been described as a 'vile travesty' elsewhere on here but to be honest I'm more interested in the amount of breadcrumbs on your average fish finger. I used the three spoke 'alloys' as they look 'a little more sporty' so before anybody decides to point these out save your typing and references as I'm not interested in the slightest. And yes, the underside light is amber in colour. Pastels used in the panel lines to highlight. One point to note; the leading edge lights, one fitted perfectly one needed fettling and blending

Humbrol paints were 31/123/90. The engine cowl popped as I was handling it for phots but hey ho. It's a model not a museum piece. It will go together will a little patience and tweaking. I have the Airfix one now and a load of spare Italeri decals for it to start next.

DSC00540.jpg

DSC00530.jpg

DSC00531.jpg

DSC00532.jpg

DSC00533.jpg

DSC00535.jpg

DSC00536.jpg

DSC00538.jpg

DSC00540.jpg

Oh and here's some rivets for those who like that sort of thing

rivets.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

33 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Good job, nicely finished.  Are you moving straight on to the Airfix Sea Hurricane or lashing into something else first?

I've got a 1/350 SMS Emden on the go where I work down in Cornwall-land during the week. But I will be starting the Airfix one here either later today or tomorrow

10 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Looks like a Hurricane, and a good one at that.

Nice rivets, too!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Wasn't sure which rivets to include. There are so many types and sizes to choose from.

Thanks for the comments chaps.

Edited by Darby
addendum
  • Like 1

Hi Darby,

you did yourself proud with the chrome painting of your outstanding rivets! Congrats!!!

I am not too sure why the sea Hurricane photos got mixed up with your rivets' RFI, but it is actually quite gorgeous looking. Nowhere near as art deco as your rivets, but not bad at all.

I was told Cornwall's weather is fantastic, so I will grace its countryside in late November. Do you think I have been conned?

Great show

JR

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Darby,

you did yourself proud with the chrome painting of your outstanding rivets! Congrats!!!

I am not too sure why the sea Hurricane photos got mixed up with your rivets' RFI, but it is actually quite gorgeous looking. Nowhere near as art deco as your rivets, but not bad at all.

I was told Cornwall's weather is fantastic, so I will grace its countryside in late November. Do you think I have been conned?

Great show

JR

Cheers Jean,

The rivets do look rather nice, wish I could claim myself the lovely finish on them. Cornwall in November? Dear God. A few days ago I could only see 100yds in fog/rain/drizzle/toads etc. and that's in the middle of summer. It'll certainly be different form Rhodesia. Whereabouts in Cornwall-land are you going to. I would recommend going to Truro and visit Martin in T7 Models.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Darby said:

Cheers Jean,

The rivets do look rather nice, wish I could claim myself the lovely finish on them. Cornwall in November? Dear God. A few days ago I could only see 100yds in fog/rain/drizzle/toads etc. and that's in the middle of summer. It'll certainly be different form Rhodesia. Whereabouts in Cornwall-land are you going to. I would recommend going to Truro and visit Martin in T7 Models.

Hi Darby,

just a silly question: what are these rivets for? They look rather heavy duty, shine notwithstanding...Re Cornwall-land a good friend of ours used to live in Liskeard and has now moved some 20 mn drive away. I like that countryside, to be honest. It will sure make a difference from Southern Rhodesia, but what a pleasure to get away when the ambient temperature is in the upper 40s... And I wish you'd stop tempting the weakling that I am by not mentioning T7 Models any more. I plan to visit Mrs. Hannants in Colinsdale while in London, and that is likely to set me back a fair whack... Having said that, if I happen to drive through Truro.... Acta est fabula, plaudite...

Great Hurricane

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 2

B) Hmm, they're the wrong sort of rivets all 14 of them. Yes I counted them:yes:

But the Hurricane looks good and if you hadn't pointed out all your 'mistakes'. I would never have noticed. 

I have to say I laughed at your post. Btw how many bread crumbs are on a fish finger. I need to know?

• Like 1

Before any one asks..... they are snap head rivets :smartass: :penguin:

Dick

Oh ... nice Hurricane by the way.:D

Edited by jenko
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Lovely job! Better than mine (damn it!). I went for the spoked wheels for exactly the same reason, great minds think alike – and ours do too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, noelh said:

B) Hmm, they're the wrong sort of rivets all 14 of them. Yes I counted them:yes:

But the Hurricane looks good and if you hadn't pointed out all your 'mistakes'. I would never have noticed. 

I have to say I laughed at your post. Btw how many bread crumbs are on a fish finger. I need to know?

1642 for Haddock, 1648 for Cod, 1654 for Salmon. This depends on which production run at a given time of the day. The average during the forenoon for all three equates to 1650 whilst during the afternoon may peak at 1768. Photos can be found in the Imperial Fish Finger Museum.

The amalgamation of individual crumbs into conglomerate larger ones also need to be considered. This will depend on the humidity of the production surroundings. A higher humidity means a larger and more frequent occurrence whilst humidity below 64% generally has an occurrence of 1:5 conglomerations.

Sounds impressive for something I've just typed as I went along.:nerdy:.

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Prisoners. You are not taking them.:lol:

Nice to see your work as always Darbs, especially a handsome maritime Hurri.:thumbsup2:

Bravo.

Tony

Any prisoners I do take are forced to eat rivets. A fish finger can be earned for good behaviour.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hello Darby,

Very nice sailor's Hurricane ! I really like her painted and weathered that way !

Congratulations :clap2:

I really had a laugh reading your text especially the counting of bread crumbs.  :poke:

So, it's the Italeri one ? Look very good to me, can't wait the way you gonna build the Airfix one !

Congratulations !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Darby said:

Photos can be found in the Imperial Fish Finger Museum.

Never trust a museum piece unless it's verified as a true, untouched specimen. You know how those restoration project managers just make educated guesses as to accuracy!!

On a serous note, nice Sea Hurricane!! Fantastic job!!

• Like 1