1/144 Roden BOAC Super VC10

Hi FortyEighter,

Yes I used the 'cabin windows no frames' from Authentic Airliners. Unfortunately you'll need two sets.

Don't be tempted by the 'cabin windows for dark fuselages' as they have grey frames. 

AA windows do work better on light backgrounds but can work well enough on a dark cheatline.

Cheers,

Ian

Very nice model indeed Ian. I might have to get some of the Authentic Airliners windows - it's the one thing I'd like to have done differently on one of my VC10s, where the window decals can barely be seen against the dark blue cheat line.

On 06/08/2017 at 3:03 PM, bzn20 said:

Worsley ? My Dad was born in Swinton, Worsley end. Had their wedding reception in the Packet House (?) Mock Tudor place near the canal reservoir ,opposite the green. Spent loads of time 'round there as child.

Yep, that's the one! Small world eh?! The Packet House and surrounding area are lovely, lots of quaint and historic buildings. I'm a little further away just north of the East Lancs.

Thanks for the compliments Zebra. I can recommend Authentic Airliners window decals, I try to use them on every build if I can as they add so much more to the model, imho. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

Edited by Turbofan
  • Like 1

Wow, excellent build as always Ian! Still the best livery of the VC-10 (not that there where many different liveries unfortunatly....)

It's great you painted the cheatline and tail, that makes the model al lot better (especially in the nose area).

You're welcome with the cockpit decals :). Glad you like them.

4 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

I might need to find myself a Roden kit I think.

You should. It's a really nice kit!

Edited by Malair
  • Like 1

That's a lovely model of a lovely aeroplane - great work.

By chance, I was rummaging through an old shoe box of "stuff" the other day, and found my BOAC "Junior Jet Club" logbook - it recorded a flight on SVC10 G-ASGN on 14 March 1973 (when I was two years old) from New York to London - 6 hours 50 minutes and 3456 statute miles, apparently! It was part of a trip I made with my parents to Trinidad and Tobago that also included two flights on G-ASGH...

Those were the days!

Nick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickthebrief said:

G-ASGN

Nick this one was hijacked Sept 70 and blown up at Dawson's Field ,Jordan by the Black September outfit . Someone has written down the wrong kite/year. Must go and look for my JJC book (again). I went on it in the BOAC hangars ,late 60s.

That's really intriguing Ian. The date is definitely right as that was the year ('73) that we went on our holiday.

It seems odd that the captain (who signed the logbook, although I cannot make out the name) would have got the registration wrong - but it must be...

Looking at it again....

It's not the clearest "N" but I can't see what else it could be.... Perhaps a "J" ? I realise that without sight of the logbook it's a tad tricky for anyone else to speculate!

Also listed is early 747 G-AWNF....

Nick.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nickthebrief said:

That's really intriguing Ian. The date is definitely right as that was the year ('73) that we went on our holiday.

It seems odd that the captain (who signed the logbook, although I cannot make out the name) would have got the registration wrong - but it must be...

Looking at it again....

It's not the clearest "N" but I can't see what else it could be.... Perhaps a "J" ? I realise that without sight of the logbook it's a tad tricky for anyone else to speculate!

Also listed is early 747 G-AWNF....

Nick.

What about ' SGK or 'SGM as possibilities?

Edited by stever219

What's not to like?  The most beautiful airliner ever to grace the skies in the most stylish colour scheme ever to adorn an airliner, and all beautifully rendered.

Edited by Meatbox8
Grammar

Ian if you don't mind me asking, what paint did you use for the grey?

Secondly, i presume you plugged the kit windows and sanded the window belt line flush before painting. Did you use the kit windows to do this or did you use something else?

Thanks,

-d-

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

David, I used Mr Color 315 which is my standard paint for Boeing Grey. I think it looks just right for the grey BOAC used too.

I filled the windows with Milliput as I have had problems using the kit windows as plugs before.

HTH

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another stunner from your assembly line.

The VC-10 is one of the most elegant airliners to grace the skies and together with the B.O.A.C livery just adds to it.

Superb work all around

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Absolutely beautiful and just as I remember them . A lot of people think the Concorde is the most graceful airliner built but I have to say for me it’s always the VC10. And in the classy BOAC blue and gold, just superb.  Sorry for late reply but just catching up on Ready for inspection threads having expected it to appear under classic airliners. 

Absolutely superb Ian.

Brings back wonderful memories of plane spotting at Heathrow as a youngster in the late 60's. I remember these big beasts along with the 707's. We used to be able to get off the bus from Hounslow West, right by the North entrance to the main tunnel, where we could climb the grass bank and sit on the grass right next to the taxiway running parallel to 28R/10L (as they were then). No fences and no one would tell us off. Often the pilots would wave as they taxied past. Definitely not a practice that lasted!

Happy days indeed.

Terry

• Like 1