1/144 Roden BOAC Super VC10

4 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Absolutely superb Ian.

Brings back wonderful memories of plane spotting at Heathrow as a youngster in the late 60's. I remember these big beasts along with the 707's. We used to be able to get off the bus from Hounslow West, right by the North entrance to the main tunnel, where we could climb the grass bank and sit on the grass right next to the taxiway running parallel to 28R/10L (as they were then). No fences and no one would tell us off. Often the pilots would wave as they taxied past. Definitely not a practice that lasted!

Happy days indeed.

Terry

Those were the days , sat on that little concrete wall above the tunnel and nobody to bug you ! Right next to the British Airport Police unit, then the MET Police took it over . Made no difference .

• Like 2

Phwoarr! That's gorgeous. 

I love the look of the VC-10 in that BOAC livery. So classy looking. 

An excellent job work on her too.

Took me right back to my childhood watching the old BBC 2 Trade Test Transmission 'Flight of Fancy'. Anyone else old enough to remember that one?

In fact I just looked it up and it's here on youtube (just for nostalgic interest):-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM5FMOi3s_o

Superb model. You've made me want one now.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread and adding some more compliments! The Roden Super VC10 is still one of my favourite kits, it just oozes VCtenderness!

Love the youtube link bobsyouruncle, those 60's films were great, really captured the romance of travel back then.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan

On 8/19/2017 at 6:48 PM, Turbofan said:

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

David, I used Mr Color 315 which is my standard paint for Boeing Grey. I think it looks just right for the grey BOAC used too.

I filled the windows with Milliput as I have had problems using the kit windows as plugs before.

HTH

Cheers,

Ian

Yes this is of tremendous help for me. Some of the kit windows are "flashed over" partially. I was gonna block sand the exterior, clean out the flash, then pack the windows from the backside with ApoxieSculpt. Also, i'm almost completely switched over to lacquers and acrylics now, so the choice of Mr Color H315 is just a nice bonus for me.

-d-

22 hours ago, bobsyouruncle said:

Anyone else old enough to remember that one?

Might be ! Great vid ,thanks for the link. pretty sure the 1st shots of it taxiing and take off and final landing was a BOAC Crew training flight from Shannon. My Dad did a couple of stints there 63 and 64 doing the very same and nearly getting killed in one  VC10 landing .