1/144 Roden BOAC Super VC10

There have been loads of these in RFI since it was released last year so it's nothing new but I wanted to build one to go with my British Airways example also G-ASGR. I'm sure many of you will agree you can never have enough VC10s!!

I painted the cheatline and tail but used the gold foil decals from Welsh Models as I always think the gold foil on the real aircraft looked far classier than the later gold paint. The door outlines and details are from the 26 sheet and the passenger windows are BAC 1-11 windows from Werner at Authentic Airlines. The flightdeck window decals are from Martijn (Malair, also on Britmodeller) so many thanks to him, I think they add so much more realism to the model.

I used some white metal under carriage from an ancient Welsh Models kit which added a little more weight, something that came in handy today when I was trying to take the photos in quite gusty conditions! 

Here are the pics.

35567953773_eb59900f98_o.jpg

35567953543_0f813662d3_o.jpg

35567953303_c9056d3c1c_o.jpg

35567952983_1035b87840_o.jpg

35567952313_660844afeb_o.jpg

35567951293_1b800be195_o.jpg

35567951963_83ec20bfc9_o.jpg

35567951733_256e23087b_o.jpg

35567950933_176593e131_o.jpg

Hope you like it and thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 58
  • Thanks 1

That is an absolutely stunning model Ian. In the late 1960s my aunt and uncle lived in Uxbridge and a spotting trip to Heathrow was always included in our visits to them - the memories flooded back as soon as I saw it. Thanks for sharing another masterpiece.

• Like 1

Absolutely wonderful,surely one of britains finest, great job.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Cheers Michael.

• Like 1

That's ACE ! Gold Foil look. Decals look great too. I robbed and still have the Engine Throttle Box from SGR while it was sat on sleepers at Abingdon in 92. My Dad was a FLt Eng on it too.

Lovely job and great to see. Thanks very much for showing !

I just remembered why these pics were familiar...

Welcome to Whicker's World !

Edited by bzn20

That looks great - hopefully my "Made in Britain" will come somewhere near this standard.

A question re using the Authentic Airliners 1-11 windows; the pitch between windows is slightly different between my set of 26 decals windows and my 1-11 ones.  Did you apply them individually or as a strip?

32 minutes ago, stringbag said:

delivery scheme

Agree with that..I loved the Gold edged Meat Cleaver scheme of the Standard's first year from April 64, some Supers were painted in 'Cleaver at Weybridge but by April 65 first Super revenue service to JFK had this new BOAC look  . Both schemes (3 really with Cunard titles) were head and shoulders above the competition.

Ian that looks brilliant, i well remember standing on tip toe on the Queens building at Heathrow trying to get the registration of a super VC10 in this scheme, oh the memories seems like yesterday, did Concorde ever fly in these colours !!

ALB

Jim

Thank you for all the comments, I really appreciate it!

I have to agree with everyone's comments about how classy this livery was. I don't remember seeing any aircraft in BOAC livery, I must have with both sets of Grandparents living under the approach to Heathrow but I was too young. I do remember the hybrid BA/BOAC scheme on VC10's and 747's although by then they were looking pretty tired.

Wow, Whicker's World, now that takes me back.....! 

So was SGR scrapped then or did it carry on with the RAF, bzn20? 

FortyEighter, I applied the AA 1-11 windows in one strip. There are the correct number of windows as far as I'm aware and they seemed to fit the model. I've just checked my left over 1-11 windows with my BOAC decal sheets (I've got lots!) and they are more or less the same spacing as each other. Maybe it depends on which sheet you have as there have been 3 different 26 sheets to my knowledge.

Concorde never flew in this livery dieselweasel. That would have been a combination!!

Graeme, a word of caution with the gold foil decals, the speed bird is slightly too big for the VC10 tail so I had to trim it slightly.

Cheers,

Ian

Beautiful work Ian, one of, if not THE best builds I've seen of this Roden VC-10 kit! Stunning - very well done! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: 

PS - I agree, the gold foil decals  do look much more classy and elegant than the ordinary gold painted ones, very nice indeed.

Kev

15 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Concorde never flew in this livery dieselweasel. That would have been a combination!!

Yeah,far too late for Bowak ! I have a couple or three postcards of a Concorde in this scheme, sold in the Queens Building 1967-69 for 6d !

Don't forget the first Airfix Concorde, BOAC or Air France boxing...........http://www.vintage-airfix.com/airfix/sky-king/bac-sud-concorde-p-281.html

If you're interested to see on ebay here is the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232436773662?rmvSB=true

The BAC1-11 and VC10s had the same window pitching, 20" and as far as I know the same window assy ,locking etc..

Edited by bzn20

15 hours ago, Turbofan said:

So was SGR scrapped then or did it carry on with the RAF, bzn20? 

Scrapped (not selected for K4 contract ) at RAF Abingdon '92 but it ,the fuse was sent by road to Filton for reasons I can't find out. It ended up on Palm Beach (Filton's scrap yard !). I've been having a conversation with someone about this last week.. Its a bit of a mystery . I saw a BA Ten over there ( across the airfield 400 yards ish ) in 93-95, I'm sure it had a fin and full fuse. Either way I read that a Bristol scrappy cut it up.

Worsley ? My Dad was born in Swinton, Worsley end. Had their wedding reception in the Packet House (?) Mock Tudor place near the canal reservoir ,opposite the green. Spent loads of time 'round there as child.

Edited by bzn20

19 hours ago, Turbofan said:

FortyEighter, I applied the AA 1-11 windows in one strip. There are the correct number of windows as far as I'm aware and they seemed to fit the model. I've just checked my left over 1-11 windows with my BOAC decal sheets (I've got lots!) and they are more or less the same spacing as each other. Maybe it depends on which sheet you have as there have been 3 different 26 sheets to my knowledge.

Cheers,

Ian

3 hours ago, bzn20 said:

The BAC1-11 and VC10s had the same window pitching, 20" and as far as I know the same window assy ,locking etc..

Thanks both of you.

Double checking my Authentic Airliners Bac 1-11/400 against Ray's Super VC10 decals the windows are at the same spacing EXCEPT on the 1-11 there is a slightly larger gap between the first / second windows aft of the door which makes the overall length slightly different.  Glad to know that I can use the Authentic windows - now to get some ordered as I don't have enough for a VC10.

One more question, presumably for the BOAC VC10 I need to order "windows with no frames"?  Are they the same on the Negus liveried aircraft?

Thanks

Mike

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FortyEighter said:

"windows with no frames"? 

The windows had no frames on both the 1-11 and VC10, a tiny.....I mean teeny in 144th even 1/72nd  and not worth bothering with..a  black line that was the rubber seal. The skin around the window opening was machined , a thicker window belt full fuse length, it aint no Boeing Coke can ! If there are gaps in the line it could be that its plugged with an ally blank, same dimensions as the window behind a galley/toilet/coat cupboard/ seating class bulkhead.

If you PM your email I can send you pics of windows. I have a 1-11 parts catalogue too.

• Like 2