Anyone given mission models paint a try?

sapperastro

Hi all,

Has anyone given mission models paint a go? I have read some of the reviews, and it sounds similar to Revell aqua in its qualities of pigment and adherence, except it comes in 'proper' colours (the colours that are so far released).

Thanks Tony, that looks bloody good.

Was that sprayed or brushed? And if you have tried brushing it, how did it go?

What did you use to thin it with? The reviews have stated it requires its own thinner to get it to work. Marketing speak?

Edited by sapperastro

On 04/08/2017 at 09:41, sapperastro said:

Was that sprayed or brushed? And if you have tried brushing it, how did it go?

Sprayed with their own thinner and the smoothing agent - worked a charm. Also brushed fine for small touch ups eg edges of u/c bay doors and where there was some bleed through with all the red white and blue masking 👍🏿

1 hour ago, sapperastro said:

Cheers Tony,

So how does this work with the 'Smoothing agent'? Have you tried using the paint without it? If so, what are the differences in paint behaviour? Just trying to get a handle on how this system works.

Hi mate have a read of page 7, post #171. Saves typing it all out again. 

i got a bottle to try and i really gave the stuff a work out, i got MMP-024 olive drab i have tried thinning it with cellulose thinner, tamiya x-20, gunze self leveling thinner, gunze acrylic thinner, meths , water and ammonia/windex mix and i have to say it performs flawlessly with all of those, it goes through an airbrush just as nice as tamiya and it handbrushes really well too with good coverage, the paint is a little thick like a concentrate and need thinning even for hand brushing, still retains good coverage properties when thinned , i intend to replace my tamiya slowly with the mission models paint as each tamiya runs out , the mission models paints reminds me of the old acrylic aeromaster warbird colours from the 90's in performance, it may seem expensive at £6 a bottle but you do get 30ml and the paint is very concentrated, it needs lots of thinning for airbrush and even thinning about 30% for hand painting--try some you wont regret it .

Edited by gavingav1
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have just discovered MMP and it says on the website that its pre thinned for airbrushing, so one is paying £5 for 30ml when in fact half of it is thinners, compare that to £2.25 for 16ml Xtracrylix which isnt thinned, for the pigment thats 235% more per ml in the case of MMP. How can it be brush painted when at airbrush consistency ? Sounded good as long as its colours are accurate, but now somewhat baffled and concerned. Surely one coat coverage with a brush isn't possible. Also it will only last half as long as a tin of pigment. I dont get why a manufacturer wants to pre-thin as it denies brush painting in one coat for fine delicate work where getting it accurately placed is a white knuckle ride first time. Second coat lifts the first from my experience with other paints when one is slowly painting something having to be careful.

Merlin

On 8/8/2017 at 2:48 AM, gavingav said:

i got a bottle to try and i really gave the stuff a work out, i got MMP-024 olive drab i have tried thinning it with cellulose thinner, tamiya x-20, gunze self leveling thinner, gunze acrylic thinner, meths , water and ammonia/windex mix and i have to say it performs flawlessly with all of those, it goes through an airbrush just as nice as tamiya and it handbrushes really well too with good coverage, the paint is a little thick like a concentrate and need thinning even for hand brushing, still retains good coverage properties when thinned , i intend to replace my tamiya slowly with the mission models paint as each tamiya runs out , the mission models paints reminds me of the old acrylic aeromaster warbird colours from the 90's in performance, it may seem expensive at £6 a bottle but you do get 30ml and the paint is very concentrated, it needs lots of thinning for airbrush and even thinning about 30% for hand painting--try some you wont regret it .

As a long standing fan of the much missed Aeromaster (and Pollyscale) acrylics - that's interesting to read. I ve been thinking about trying these- so will look afresh

Cheers

Jonners

4 hours ago, sapperastro said:

Hmm, so is it concentrated? Or thinned for airbrushing?

Mission Models Paints are best thinned a little for airbrushing , they are quite thick in the bottle but you could blast them through an airbrush if you turned the pressure right up. You don't need to thin it to 50/50 though if you are using their own brand of thinners which is recommended.

I have the full range of aircraft colours currently available in stock and have tried a few of the WW2 Luftwaffe ones. They behave somewhere between the likes of Vallejo/AK Interactive and Tamiya/Gunze, dry to a flat, tough finish. The Poly mix adds some more strength to the paint (useful for R/C models) and also adds an eggshell type finish to the paint. The Poly mix is also useful if you want to hairy stick brush large areas as it slows the drying process down and acts as a flow improver, I have brush painted small items with the paint straight from the bottle with no problems. I haven't tried their clear coats yet but will so once I have a model at that stage.

Duncan B

• Like 1

On 12/21/2017 at 10:19 AM, PhantomBigStu said:

I brought a pot of the Have glass grey not used it yet other than as a test brush as Ive not sourced an suitable kit to build, but does seem a little thin for brush use so may end up having to sell it, but as a metalic colour that may not be representative of all 

I haven't opened the Have Glass bottles so couldn't comment on the suitability for brushing. To be fair to Mission Models they do say that each colour will vary due to the density of the pigment though.

Duncan B

Thin isn't necessarily bad, as thin is how you want to brush large areas, otherwise we enter brushstroke land. The important aspects for any brushable paint is how well it levels, how thin it can be made without the paint breaking down or beading up. For detailing and figures, the game changes somewhat, as many like better coverage with less coats in those instances. This does not work for larger areas though. Brushstrokes are easily eliminated on small areas (figures, landing gear, etc). Try the same paint on an aircraft wing or tank though....Hence why I always ask how the paint is and what it compares to.

Enamels usually, so long as it isn't one of the myriad terrible batches these days, thin right down, and self level better than anything. Unfortunately this can no longer be taken as gospel in all instances as the quality of many enamels has fallen through the floor.

In Acrylic land, different paints tend to do better than others for different things. Vallejo is ok for large areas, but quite weak and cannot be thinned down too much without beading and breaking up. Excellent for figures and detailing though, similar to Citadel paint. Revell Aqua is very good for large areas and detailing, but requires quite a bit of thinning. Model Master Acrylic is awesome for large areas, but, colour pending, it can need a few coats for small areas. These are the only acrylics I have come across that I would recommend to people based on my experiences.

I can use Tamiya Acrylic quite well with a brush, and it thins down very well for multiple coats and leaves no brush marks, but it requires speed, good thinner like their x-20a, and not lingering on any area that has just been painted. A soft brush helps massively too.

Economy is a whole other thing. As Merlin above stated, the thicker the paint, the more you get for your money, but this does depend on how well a paint will thin down and remain usable.

• Like 1