SWORD releasing 1/73 FJ Furys

jpk

15 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Does this help?

Thanks, Mike,

I guess I need to be much clearer when I ask a question. My intent this time was to ask about the speed brake “wells”, but mixed in slat “wells”, and evidently gave the impression I was looking for info on wheel “wells”.

SORRY!

1. I found my answer about the speed brake “interiors” in Bert  Kinsey’s in detail in scale Vol 69, “FJ Fury”, on page 29. The FJ-2 speed brakes shown there are definitely different than from the Sabre, being very simple with almost no detail other than what’s on the actuator arms. So I won’t use the Hi-Tech f-86D wells.

F2UFYoC.jpg

2. By slat “wells” I was referring to  Sabre models and accessory sets that all come with a wing trough  into  which the slats can fit (rather than fairing smoothly into the wing top).  I’ll do the FJ-3 slats as I detailed above – cut leading edge off, file the area smooth, and then file in slots as appropriate,to fit the slat guides.

Again, sorry to take up all this valuable space … my initial enthusiasm needs to, and will,  drop the mike and .take  and a break .B)

Gene K.

EDIT: SJ, I wrote the above before seeing your last post, so again, THANKS for your generous help!

Edited by Gene K
Say thanks to SabreJet

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

The Hobbycraft/Academy slats are IMHO quite thick, what are the Hi-Tech ones like ?

The Hi-Tech slats are of perfect thickness, and you'll be hard pressed to do better in brass, I think. The resin is quite brittle, however, and the  slat "arms" drop off with any pressure at all. Not a bad thing if using them for the Fury since they need to be rearranged. Attached shows the Cutting Edge (long out of production) and the Hi-Tech slats. VERY surprisingly, both show as in stock here .:o  Coincidentally,  the part  numbers are the same (72017).

gih0thV.jpg

Fabricating your brass slats should be a short fun exercise, the challenge being the airfoil profile. I attempted that a couple of decades ago (!!!) by attaching a small strip of plastic under the leading edge and shaping.

Hope I get to see your finished slats!

Gene K

• Like 1

I could post this on any of the many threads but isn't it incredible how much traffic the release of these kits has produced!!!! Why were they never done before!!!!

Martin

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I could post this on any of the many threads but isn't it incredible how much traffic the release of these kits has produced!!!! Why were they never done before!!!!

Martin

If you think this is a lot of traffic on a single release, just wait until somebody releases a new-tool F-94C, F9F-5, or F-3H in 1/72! Bless the folks at Emhar, however, for doing two of the three.

Mike

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

If you think this is a lot of traffic on a single release, just wait until somebody releases a new-tool F-94C, F9F-5, or F-3H in 1/72! Bless the folks at Emhar, however, for doing two of the three.

Mike

Well, my money's still on the Furies ;)

Martin

24 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Well, my money's still on the Furies ;)

Martin

Martin- Did you see the 1/48 Hasegawa F-104G in WGAF markings in the Ready for Inspection forum? Check it out- I thought of you when I saw it.

Mike

Hi Mike,

There's a Marinesflieger one in RFI, did you mean that? That one looks the part for sure. Sadly you do t see so many WGAF builds, which is a pity as there is far more variety of schemes. Thanks for pointing it out ;).....

all the best, Martin

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Mike,

There's a Marinesflieger one in RFI, did you mean that? That one looks the part for sure. Sadly you do t see so many WGAF builds, which is a pity as there is far more variety of schemes. Thanks for pointing it out ;).....

all the best, Martin

Jawohl, mein Starfighter freund! What can I say? I gotta stop trolling on BM in  the wee hours, as the brain/eye interface doesn't seem to finction very well! Pretty nice build, though. I thought he did the silver-grey undersides color better than I have seen in a long time! Regards!

Mike