SWORD releasing 1/73 FJ Furys

jpk

The only Sword kit I've built so far was the T-33 and I will never buy another T-33 from them.  Major sanding required on the upper wings at the root in order to get the fuselage and wings to fit anywhere near where they are supposed to.  The coaming over the pilot's instrument panel was a separate piece and that was a pain to get to sit right as well.  The whole front end engineering was rather strange and illogical.  I have the old Hasegawa and Heller kits and now also the Platz kit and the engineering in the area as far better.  Hopefully they have learned something from the way they did the T-33, but I will hold off a bit before buying any of the promised Furies.

Later,

Dave

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, e8n2 said:

The only Sword kit I've built so far was the T-33 and I will never buy another T-33 from them.  Major sanding required on the upper wings at the root in order to get the fuselage and wings to fit anywhere near where they are supposed to.  The coaming over the pilot's instrument panel was a separate piece and that was a pain to get to sit right as well.  The whole front end engineering was rather strange and illogical.  I have the old Hasegawa and Heller kits and now also the Platz kit and the engineering in the area as far better.  Hopefully they have learned something from the way they did the T-33, but I will hold off a bit before buying any of the promised Furies.

Later,

Dave

I'll challenge you, then, to find an alternative ;).. I have a Sword F-80 in build now and have exactly the same issues but that wouldn't stop me buying the only FJ-3 on the market!

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, e8n2 said:

The only Sword kit I've built so far was the T-33 and I will never buy another T-33 from them. 

Great, but this thread is about the new Furies ... so  try one, you may like  it.:penguin:

Gene K

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Gene K said:
9 hours ago, e8n2 said:

Great, but this thread is about the new Furies ... so  try one, you may like  it.:penguin:

Its not like you are buying a car, it is a kit of just a few dollars.... Give one a try. They have been a long time coming and there is no other choice really. I have a Falcon vacform but that is still firmly wrapped and sealed .....

Martin

• Like 1

Special Hobby announced an FJ-2 years ago (it is still listed as a future release and Hannant's), and I have not had a lot of luck with their stuff either.  I did manage to see a sprue shot of the FJ-2 and based on that it looks a lot better than the T-33.  As to an F-80, I'll go with the Airfix kit I have in the stash along with the Airwaves etched brass set.  I also have etched brass sets for the Hasegawa T-33s.  As far as Furies go, I have both the Valom and Rareplanes kits of the FJ-1, and the Emhar FJ-4B.  With a detail set and lots of sanding in the rear I should be able to get it to look like a straight FJ-4 instead of the FJ-4B.  Nobody has announced a new FJ-4 kit and you can't get there from the FJ-2 or FJ-3. 

Later,

Dave

It sounds like you want it easy, Dave ;). SH are good and bad as are most manufacturers. Generally if you want something unusual you've got to take a little pain. Thereafter it is about you and wrestling the plastic in to something that you are happy with. I'll certainly give thr Sword Fury the benefit of the doubt.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:32 AM, e8n2 said:

The coaming over the pilot's instrument panel was a separate piece and that was a pain to get to sit right as well. 

If it makes you feel any better, there is no coaming over the pilot's instrument panel in the front cockpit.  The only thing that was up there was the tube for the windscreen defogger.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

It sounds like you want it easy, Dave ;). SH are good and bad as are most manufacturers. Generally if you want something unusual you've got to take a little pain. Thereafter it is about you and wrestling the plastic in to something that you are happy with. I'll certainly give thr Sword Fury the benefit of the doubt.

Martin

I don't expect Hasegawa or new Eduard or Tamiya quality.  I do expect that when you attach the wings to the fuselage that you will have the correct amount of dihedral, or no dihedral, what ever the case may be with the actual aircraft.  The SH P-59 kit ended up with anhedral.  When they have locating edges for the cockpit floor, I would also expect it to fit correctly, not droop because the floor is too skinny, or be up at an angle because the floor is too wide.  Their BT-9 has the floor too narrow, and the NP3B had it too wide.  Lots of sanding to finally get it to fit properly.  The aft shelf in the BT-9 kit will go where ever it damn well wants to, not where it should be.  There are no locating edges or pins or anything of the sort.  So now on my completed model it sits low and to one side.  I have bought a Pavla resin cockpit for the next one I build even though it will be a little short in length.  I will just make a cut and add some plastic sheet to get it to the right length.  Now then, did SH really do a test build to make sure things would end up where they are supposed to be?  As far as I can tell from the kits of theirs that I have attempted to build and actually finished, HELL NO!  After trashing about four or more kits because of impossible engineering (think LeO 37 with myriads of struts and mere dimples to suggest where they are supposed to go, or Nieuport-Delage 621 with main struts that will never, ever, allow the top wing to go into place as on the actual aircraft).  The NP-3B is over engineered with way to many pieces for piddling details better served by one part with the little details already on the part.  It was also the first SH kit I have been able to actually complete!  Once I got the fuselage on the BT-9 buttoned up things went a lot smoother and it was finished as a Swedish pre-war trainer.  I have had far fewer problems building AZ kits, but I still buy some SH stuff for the diversity of kits available that no one else has done or will do.  A Model is another company that makes you wonder if they ever do test shots of their kits.  Lots and lots of sanding and filling on their TU-128, and I have at least one fuselage compartment wall on the Piaggio Avanti that will need some work before the fuselage can be buttoned up.  So excuse me if I want to wait for reviews and WIPs to come out first before I plunk my money down on the Sword Furies.

Later,

Dave

• Like 2

22 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

All fair points, Dave. You clearly have given them a try! Good luck in the future.

Martin

I have several other Sword kits in the stash, to include two Harrier T.4s , the two seat Lightnings, and of course the AEW Gannet!  Hopefully these will go together easier than the T-33!

Later,

Dave

To some extent I have some sympathy with Dave's (e8n2) position, I've struggled with the couple of Sword kits I've tried to make (T-33 and P-47N), that said it won't stop me giving them anotoher chance, I've bought a couple of their Spitfire XIV's for instance.

As for these Furies, I'm very happy to see these and will be getting one of them.

• Like 2

Hi Wez!

On reflection my responses were possibly rather hard. I am currently struggling with a Sword F-80. It isn't so bad once you think through the logic of construction. Certainly some or the seams are questionable in terms of their location and there is definitely a new home for some of my filler, but on the whole it isn't horrendous. I cant imagine it will be any worse than my Emhar Fury FJ-4!

Good luck!

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Looking at the photo that has been released of the sprue that has the fuselage and wings, it's hard to tell which version is pictured- an FJ2 or FJ3; IIRC, the FJ2 had the 37-foot span wing with slats, and the FJ3's had a 6-3 wing, but the leading edges were cambered on the underside. Just wondering if Sword will make this distinction in the sprues for the FJ3 and FJ3M. The sprue shot looks to me like it is correct for the slatted wing FJ2 but not for an FJ3. C'mon, Sabrejet or Tailspin Turtle- help us out here! (Sure hope this isn't an omission on Sword's part like the one on their F3D fuselage!) Been waiting a LONG time for these Furies!

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Looking at the photo that has been released of the sprue that has the fuselage and wings, it's hard to tell which version is pictured- an FJ2 or FJ3; IIRC, the FJ2 had the 37-foot span wing with slats, and the FJ3's had a 6-3 wing, but the leading edges were cambered on the underside. Just wondering if Sword will make this distinction in the sprues for the FJ3 and FJ3M. The sprue shot looks to me like it is correct for the slatted wing FJ2 but not for an FJ3. C'mon, Sabrejet or Tailspin Turtle- help us out here! (Sure hope this isn't an omission on Sword's part like the one on their F3D fuselage!) Been waiting a LONG time for these Furies!

Mike

That sprue is for an FJ-2. The equivalent one for the FJ-3/3M will reportedly have the correct fuselage (bigger inlet and different air intake on the upper aft fuselage), externally ribbed rudder, and the cambered leading edge wing as shown in the artists concepts. Note that the early FJ-3 had the same wing as the FJ-2. Also see http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2011/04/fj23-fury-redux.html

• Like 4

The SWORD test shot looks to me to be of a FJ-2. It looks like it has the NACA scoops on the fuselage and the flat, non segmented rudder and the smaller intake opening.

Edited by jpk

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 2:21 PM, Tailspin Turtle said:

That sprue is for an FJ-2. The equivalent one for the FJ-3/3M will reportedly have the correct fuselage (bigger inlet and different air intake on the upper aft fuselage), externally ribbed rudder, and the cambered leading edge wing as shown in the artists concepts. Note that the early FJ-3 had the same wing as the FJ-2. Also see http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2011/04/fj23-fury-redux.html

Thanks, Tommy! Hope you're right regarding the FJ-3 and -3M! Now I can put my saved Tailhook Topics Fury articles to good use!

Just to whet the appetite, here's a link to a colorful VF-33 FJ-3 in the hangar deck of the USS Intrepid Museum! Good reference shot of the intake, downward-angled 20mm gunports, canopy, and undercart. Enjoy!

Mike

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Navy/North-American-FJ-3-Fury/4496939/L?qsp=eJwljEEKwkAMRe/y191YQWF21QPowguEmdAWqhmSLCyld28cd4/34G3I8nH%2B%2BmutjARj0jyhQyWltyFtqJO43Ml5FF2R%2BmsHE/VbMEroIWeuzgV//9DC%2BktsuX3G%2BJ4CWJ%2BNcb6EL7PVhdqDneYF%2B34AMzUusA%3D%3D

Edited by 72modeler
added photo link

If'n I do buy one or two, it will be Drone Director markings for me!  Hey Hannant's, there is an area for you when you come out with decals for these things!

Later,

Dave

I posted a lot of FJ-3 stuff on the Kitty Hawk thread but will try to resurrect those here, or in fact better on a dedicated thread. In the meantime I think these new kits look promising so long as they don't try to do an FJ-2/FJ-3 (F-86) in one like ESCI did years ago. From what I see and read above, it sounds like that won't be the case.

Cue lots of aftermarket PE, resin and decal sheets! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Sounds like you have had some input which is good news for everyone.