KI61 questions

oz rb fan

i've just started work on a hasegawa Ki61-1 tei and a couple of questions have come up.

interior colour?......in a thread on here awhile ago this came up...and the answer seemed to be IJA green/gray (same colour as the overall scheme on an early war KI27 for instance)..but i found a few built models online with a blue gray interior,would this be right for a TEI?

second is the fuselage length....i have a tamiya kit in the stash for a later build and i notice the tamiya kit is about 2/3mm longer than the hasegawa kit for the same version...any idea which is correct?...as an aside i found an old scale aviation modeler magazine with 1/48 KI61 drawings...it only gives a full side view of the KOH/OTSU ...the hasegawa TEI kit fuselage match's this perfectly.

1st

which maybe for later versions?

2nd

no definite answer was posted

Sorry, not very helpful, but posting these may help in getting a better answer  (even it just stops these being posted..)

Nick Millman would bethe chap for interior colour,but he's not been posting recently.

Not my scale, and I'm certainly not in the same league as Nick Millman when it comes to IJA/IJN aircraft, but I have attached a link that gives detailed descriptions and dimensions of the Ki-61 and Ki-100 variants. IIRC, the later HA-140 engined versions had an almost 9-inch length increase in the fuselage forward of the leading edge compared to the earlier ones. Since I'm not familiar with either of the 1/48 kits you mentioned, I'm not sure which versions they are supposed to represent; if you wanted  1/72 kit comparisons, I could help you out, as I have the Hasegawa, Aoshima, and Fine Molds Ki-61's and Ki-100's. Good luck!

Mike

http://www.airvectors.net/avhien.html

11 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

1st

which maybe for later versions?

2nd

no definite answer was posted

Sorry, not very helpful, but posting these may help in getting a better answer  (even it just stops these being posted..)

Nick Millman would bethe chap for interior colour,but he's not been posting recently.

thanks for that troy,tempted to try the interior scheme Nick talks about,as for the length i'll have to keep looking.

and thanks mike

Hi, everyone,

Just some random thoughts.

Mikesh in "Japanese Aircraft Interiors" doesn't rule out the "sandy brown" theory, but only shows b&w pictures. They show a rather dark color that might well be that colour or the bluish gray also put forward.

The interior colour(s) proposed by Mr. Millman are those found on the Cosford Ki-100, as reviewed by Mikesh. Guess it is a good option for a late Ki-61, though interiors, especially in the bubbletop Ki-100, were slightly different. A carry over of Ki-61 colours into early (razorbacks) Ki-100s seems more logical, but just that.

There is at least one gentleman who stands fast to the "sandy brown" theory, claiming he has an extant relic that very clearly shows it. Sometimes he posts in the "other forum".

In my copy of the Mikesh book, the undersurfaces of the Ki-100 at Cosford are very clearly painted IJN Gray-Green, but everywhere it is stated they are NMF (which is certainly quite logical). That has always puzzled me.

Fernando

On 8/3/2017 at 10:37 PM, 72modeler said:

Not my scale, and I'm certainly not in the same league as Nick Millman when it comes to IJA/IJN aircraft, but I have attached a link that gives detailed descriptions and dimensions of the Ki-61 and Ki-100 variants. IIRC, the later HA-140 engined versions had an almost 9-inch length increase in the fuselage forward of the leading edge compared to the earlier ones. Since I'm not familiar with either of the 1/48 kits you mentioned, I'm not sure which versions they are supposed to represent; if you wanted  1/72 kit comparisons, I could help you out, as I have the Hasegawa, Aoshima, and Fine Molds Ki-61's and Ki-100's. Good luck!

Mike

http://www.airvectors.net/avhien.html

There was a good recent thread here on this subject of "Tony" interior colors, which includes Nick Millman's usual superb input:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235019991-ki-61-interior-colour/&

As to dimensions, the "airvectors" link posted here gives the length of the Ki-61-I Tei, which was itself longer than previous "Tony" variants.

The first three variants all had the Ho-103 12.7mm machine guns in the nose, but differed in wing armament (the initial Ki-61-I Ko had 7.7 mm guns in the wings; Ki-61-I Otsu another pair of 12.7mm Ho-103's; and the Ki-61-I Hei imported Mauser MG 151 20mm cannon). According to the recent Model Art "Profile" publication, those variants were 8.740m long.

The Ki-61-I Tei (variant represented by both the Hasegawa and Tamiya 1/48 kits), used the Japanese 20mm Ho-5 cannon in the nose, and was 20cm longer, or 8.940m total.

The Ki-61-II with Ha-140 engine was 9.1565m long, and the radial-engined Ki-100 8.818m long.

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 1

Hi, MDriskill,

In the thread you link, Mr. Millmans says: "...or a pre-factory painted nmf Ki-61 the interior paint was not stable and you could use either a dull khaki like FS 33440 or the standard IJA grey-green exterior colour or a mix of both together".

Now, in the FED-STD-595 server, 33440 is khaki colour that is well within range of that elusive "sandy colour". Much greener that true Sand Yellow colours like 20400 or 30266, but much less than say 34201. Anyway, much more different from a Grey than from those ones.

Regards,

Fernando

Edited by Fernando
  • Like 1

i built mine with a gray interior after looking at pics of the ones being restored at Wangaratta,forgetting one important thing,there are early builds(and otu and a koh) what i'm building is a factory painted tei....so it seems it should be the same colour inside as the top colour outside...i have a couple more to do so lesson learned.

• 2 years later...