Fiat 806gp full-scratchbuild 1:12

Dear Harvey,

Jewellery this is !!

Dear Hannes,

What is fire bronce strips ?

the leafs are done for my Mef ( except for the dampers )

i wish i knew you both before i started the Mef.

best to both of you !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear Sam , please look at the Hartmann homepage . These strips are suited for leaf springs  and you can order them in different dimensions .

Fire bronce has a reddish color  , a bit like copper and you can  work with it similar like brass .  Hannes

• Like 2

Thank you for this dear Hannes 

if i go there am afraid i will tear down my leaf springs and redo them...

very tempting, i want to finish the Mef now and move to another project.

am not able to do 2 projects in parallel sadly, is any of you able to do so?

i feel like betraying my Mef and not finishing what i started. stupid i know, cause fun is what it is all about ....:penguin::rage:

but i am still in love withe Mef and have such pleasure working on this reproduction

• Like 2

Dear Sam , the adress is Hartmann - Modellbau , Profile . It´s a good adress for profiled metal parts and sheets .

Regarding several projects : Like you I prefer one project  . If the motivation sinks , I do different things in the meantime , like sculpturing works or dog education and wait till the motivation grows again . This way I stay balanced and get a good result in the end ( hopefully ).  Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 2

Thanks lads. I must admit, I'm rather pleased with my first attempts at leaf-springs. It seems a shame to have to paint them, though!

3 hours ago, sharknose156 said:

What is fire bronce strips ?

I think Hannes means Phosphur-Bronze.

Cheers, H

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PROPELLER said:

https://www.amazon.com/Metal-Burnishing-Bottle-AK-Interactive/dp/B006YBXORK

After a little dry brushing with aluminum paint, it's very accurate...

Thanks for that, Dan. Is that what you used on the Talbot? I have the brass photo-etch burnishing bottle by AK, but despite following the instructions, I could never get a satisfactory result??? Maybe it was just me, lol

Cheers, H

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon chaps.

Maybe not the update you were expecting, but still, progress....

After temporarily attaching the leaf-springs, it became apparent that the hangers were a bit on the flimsy side, so these will (still) have to be re-made. I'm glad I found out at this early stage, though lol!

Anyway, I decided to start making the rear friction dampers. These were made from 0,3mm brass for the leaves and outer discs, 0,8mm ally sheet for the spacers and 0,3mm steel for the star spring. I made the star 6-pointed, as per HR pics and not 5 as shown on blueprint/drawings. 

The potential weak-points are obviously the tips, where they get attached to chassis and axle, so these were reinforced with 2mm brass tube and soldered.

These were then bolted together with M1 nuts/bolts.

40475736162_76e8d860f2_h.jpg

40475737692_154f9c5caf_h.jpg

40475739512_225f218fb3_h.jpg

40475740242_574d64bd3f_h.jpg

40475741152_cedfdb74cf_h.jpg

40475742022_10eaa9fd74_h.jpg

40475743372_0f7dc52419_h.jpg

40518165801_98c171ceaf_h.jpg

I hope you continue to enjoy and thanks for watching!!

More soon!

Cheers, H

• Like 8

5 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

I hope you continue to enjoy and thanks for watching!!

Certainly do - looks fantastic. One thing on the dampers. The high res version 2 on the research thread shows the dampers well. To my eye they look like 5 point stars not 6. Do you see something different?

ATB

Nick

• Like 1

Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:09 PM, NickD said:

To my eye they look like 5 point stars not 6. Do you see something different?

I thought I saw 6, mate, but the ol' eyes ain't getting any younger:shrug: Never mind, I think 6 looks better anyway!:D

Cheers, H

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your scare but glad youre on the mend and that ive found this post.

Very impressive what you have achieved so far i will be keeping a close watch on future updates.

Keep well and keep up the great work.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

Never mind, I think 6 looks better anyway!:D

Works for me - wouldn't want to have caused Star Wars - ;)

Just enjoying the progress - wish I had your skill.

ATB

Nick

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, NickD said:

Works for me - wouldn't want to have caused Star Wars - ;)

Nice one nick!:thumbsup:

Thank you Mr Nuts, for your kind words!

Cheers, H

Edited by harveyb258
Forgot summat!

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning to all.

Time for an update in the proceedings. Before continuing, the next step was to create a cradle to hold the project and set the ride height. Using my original set-up, 2 short panel-pins take care of securing the rear, 'while at the front end, the duties are performed by 2 bits of ally angle with slots cut out to accept the front cross-member. Securing the rear axle to the correct height was simply a case of bending 2 bits of tube to 90deg, insert to axle ends and drill into the base. Very crude, I grant you, but perfectly workable and easy to flip over to do the underside. The job's a good un!!

The dampers and axle were then etch-primed (2 coats) and matt blacked (2 coats). The axle then received a couple of coats of AK xtreme metal AK671 metallic smoke. When dry, it was secured to the jig. The dampers were then assembled and secured to the chassis with M1 threaded bar and nuts (prime Miniatures). 

Next up came the treatment of the springs. With many, many thanks to Dan:worthy: (PROPELLER) for his tip, I used AK 159 metal burnishing fluid. Absolutely incredible stuff, I love it! 5 mins in the fluid was all it took to make them black all over. Once dried, they had a kind of powdery finish, so I decided to give them a light polishing with a soft cotton swab. What a transformation! They looked like real steel, but just not quite light enough in shade for my liking, so I remedied this by using AK dark steel pigment. I stuck my finger in the jar, rubbed the pigment into the springs and the transformation was complete!!:thumbsup:

It was then assembly time......

39012048730_c2a23ff52a_h.jpg

26952394198_22c426c682_h.jpg

26952395218_bab74d5902_h.jpg

40780146612_3d9936166d_h.jpg

40822074901_32b89239ab_h.jpg

Once assembled, the black parts looked a bit too black, so these were toned-down with some dirty washes and a light rub with pigment.

Well, chaps, that's all I have for you this time. I now need to place a LARGE order for more hardware.

I think for the next step, we'll move onto the front end...watch this space!

Thanks for watching and I hope you continue to enjoy!!

Cheers, H

• Like 7

I hope I'll be able to get my 1/8th model close to the level you've attained in this 1/12th. 

Sorry for not having posted much in your topic lately, as with all other third party topics... been very busy. I'll start looking into piles of unseen posts and topic updates and I'm sure I'll be much in awe. As for now, excellent what you have done so far! Really remarkable progress.

• Thanks 1