Fairey ? Russian kit.

AdamReith

Absolutely fascinating, particularly for us who grew up in that era. Like most of us in the west the USSR was a complete closed book. I do admit an long standing interest in Russia. I used to listen to Radio Moscow back in the day amazed at the American accents of the broadcasters, not that I for a minute believed the propaganda  no more than I believe anything the RT channel broadcasts. 

But I do like Russia for whatever reason.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In addition about boxes for domestic market of the USSR.
As I think, it is rather rare box
(funny, but on her the name of the Tupolev SB-2 plane but only only "Assembly model aircraft" isn't specified!):

2707604413.jpg

Because all SB-2 which I saw were on sale in domestic market in NOVO box. I saw such packing on ruins of old factory of toys in Donetsk where I climbed the child. The old factory of toys was only at distance of one stop of the tram from my house. And we being children her surveyed regarding any toys. But there were no toys and there were empty unprotected one-storey buildings prepared for destruction. In them there were one cardboard boxes for models intended on domestic market of the USSR. It were just cardboard piles with the images applied to them. I have taken myself boxes for SB-2 because it then wasn't on sale in the state shops of the USSR. There were only single sales of this model in the black market at very high price. But when SB-2 began to be on sale in large quantities in the state shops of the USSR it was on sale in NOVO box, thus packing for domestic market of the USSR was little-known and belonged to the category of "city legends".
Thanks to this photo from the Russian Internet auction, this "the city legend" has the confirmation!

B.R.

Serge

P.S. 

About existence of old factory of toys to FROG/NOVO era, in Donetsk doesn't remind anything. Because in the early eighties her buildings have destroyed, and on her place have built the inhabited residential district with municipal children's medical clinic.

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 2

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:38 PM, Eric Mc said:

From the 1970ish FROG mould. When FROG went out of business in 1976, the receiver (fillowing assistance from the Labour government of Harold Wilson) sold most of the FROG moulds to the Soviet Union.

A former director of Lines Bros told me that the Soviet Union wouldn't take aircraft of 'faschist' powers.  Some of these eg Me410 are now with Revell.

Don't know about Harold Wilson: good story though!

20 hours ago, Denford said:

A former director of Lines Bros told me that the Soviet Union wouldn't take aircraft of 'faschist' powers.  Some of these eg Me410 are now with Revell.

The Soviet Union really, consciously hasn't bought Axis planes the made FROG not to propagandize fascism.
  However we didn't know it therefore when many saw on side parts of a "white  Novoexpot box" La-7 (or S.6.B??..... or D.H.60??....don't rememder :( ) of the image of Macchi MC 202, it has generated rumors among modellers of the USSR that on ignorance, also the compression mold on Macchi MC 202, was purchased! Then, in 1990 when the list of molds of FROG of the purchased USSR and  mold on Macchi MC 202  has been published there wasn't, it became clear that it no more than rumors.

At the same time because of fear to be accused of promotion of Nazism long time I didn't come to mass selling Fokker D.21. The matter is that among pilots of the Air Force of the USSR in the years of World War II for the names "Hundred Ninetieth", "Fokka" ......and "Fokker" were assigned to plane Fokke-Wulf F.W.190! This that has also played a dirty trick with model Fokker D.21.

The question is that for promotion of fascism in the USSR under the law there was criminal liability, and naturally nobody wanted judicial proceedings. Yes, the first examination in court will prove that Fokker D.21 has no relation to Fokke Wulf FW-190 whether but many like to be a defendant in court?

Especially as Finnish Fokker. 21 were at war with swastikas on the party of the Axis against the USSR and experts from charge, quite could present it as the proof of promotion of fascism in court.
Therefore it was simpler to be reinsured.

But from the point of view of today it is necessary to recognize that similar measures in the USSR concerning promotion of fascism and Nazism, have been in my opinion completely justified. 

B.R.

Serge