Airfix B-17

Yep, had cooled on the idea, but for a few reasons I've changed my mind. Could actually be quite a straight forward build. ordered some olive drab and neutral grey paint for it, will order the decals as this progresses (brought the wrong set first time) 

• Like 2

Indeed, my record with such builds isn't great but anyway, fuselage all together and  all thatwork hidden from view, as for enjoyment do kinda prefer these  builds as there's so little to do with the likes of the 190 when they go well, will enjoy the next one more now know the mistakes to avoid

36339913972_7706ee8e34_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

engines on, very fiddly, seems I painted the pipes the wrong colour, thought it was framing not a continuation of the supercharger. But bigger problems arose, airfix haven't engineer the tailed wheel in the retracted position despite doing so for the main gear so got to do some research on and modding. 

37908645636_31773a8794_b.jpg

• Like 3

Paying for the choices I made earlier, hindsight was obvious, but planning isn't my strong point especially as I started this at a time of chaos. Removed the paint with great difficulty from the windows only to find the insides had primer over spray on them so trick of painting the gloss black will do 

37512926474_757aa2c467_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Run out of olive drab which is a pain given the lack of time remaining. But added the wheels to the bay, turned out to be a simple job to modify the tailwheel, just a case of chopping the pin off and it slotted in place 

38496381112_b6b087e78e_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Looking much more doubtful this will make it, thanks to our great Royal Mail, my olive drab paint has not arrived yet, also has some new issues, not least as the chin turret won't fit. Edit turret now fitted, but cracked the glass in one of then cheek peices, do I leave them transparent with a visible crack on one side or do I paint them gloss black like the windows? 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

Has the extra OD turned up yet Stu?  Still several days to go before the deadline ;)

Cliff

Indeed but I have accepted I won’t  be done, sprained my ankle yesterday which limits how much I can get to the bench upstairs so I’m settling on finishing the thunderbolt on time, can do that downstairs in a box on the dining room table 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Indeed but I have accepted I won’t  be done, sprained my ankle yesterday which limits how much I can get to the bench upstairs so I’m settling on finishing the thunderbolt on time, can do that downstairs in a box on the dining room table 

That's a pity Stu.  I hope that your ankle heals up quickly.

Cheers

Cliff

12 hours ago, CliffB said:

That's a pity Stu.  I hope that your ankle heals up quickly.

Cheers

Cliff

Seems was a decision I actually had no choice over,  noticed today glue had fogged the canopy which was the spare one as I ran the first over with my chair, so will be contacting airfix for a new canopy and for chin peice. Cheers for the ankle, still swollen a mile wide but can at least move and more importantly climb the stairs ok 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2